collapse

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Equinox book...  (Read 374 times)

Offline Darwoody

• Silver

• Fill this by Posting :)
    100%
    • I live in: Caboolture,Qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 215

• Total Badges: 24
    Badges: (View All)
    500 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Equinox book...
« on: April 07, 2018, 10:50 »
New book on the Equinox by Clive James Clynick:
http://www.clivesgoldpage.com/shop/publications/minelab-equinox-beginner-advanced/

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32708.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro, Seahunter Mk11, Minelab Excalibur 11, CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Tesoro Outlaw, XP Deus, Nokta Fors Relic, Equinox 800..
  • Oldest find: 1870 QV Penny
Sweep low and slow....

Offline 14FNX

• Are you here as part of the problem? Or part of the solution?
  • Bronze

96.67%
    • I live in: Logan, Queensland
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 257

• Total Badges: 19
    Farthing Round 50 Cents Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Comm Penny 50 Posts The Gold Ring 10 Posts First Post
Re: Equinox book...
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 12:28 »
What country is this bloke in? I'm interested in the book and need to know to calculate postage cost.
Ta,
David.

EDIT: Sorted. I figured he was from USA but he had the option of paying by "cheque", not 'check', which is the American spelling.  Mr Google sorted it for me.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 12:42 by 14FNX »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Own: E-trac, Quattro, Equinox 800, Land & Sea PinPointer, XP Mi-6 Pinpointer..
  • Oldest find: 1470’s Spanish Blanco
Best Finds:
1470’s Spanish coin.
Gold plated sovereign holder.

Bucket list:
Sovereign - half or full
Rising sun badge
1938 Crown
Wheat threepence 

It's not just what you achieve in life: It's also what you overcome.

Offline Darwoody

• Silver

100%
  • Liked:

500 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 12:48 »
About $36.50 australian, delivered.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro, Seahunter Mk11, Minelab Excalibur 11, CTX 3030, Sovereign GT, Tesoro Outlaw, XP Deus, Nokta Fors Relic, Equinox 800..

Offline 14FNX

• Are you here as part of the problem? Or part of the solution?
  • Bronze

96.67%
    • I live in: Logan, Queensland
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 257

• Total Badges: 19
    Farthing Round 50 Cents Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Comm Penny 50 Posts The Gold Ring 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 16:44 »
I've ordered a copy. Once I've had a good read, I'll put up a review. I've not read any of his other books, so I know little of the author. But, for $37.00 odd, it's worth it if I learn something.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Own: E-trac, Quattro, Equinox 800, Land & Sea PinPointer, XP Mi-6 Pinpointer..
  • Oldest find: 1470’s Spanish Blanco

Offline Darwoody

• Silver

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 18:26 »
Agreed...probably the only other detectorist author's book I would buy would be Andy Sabisch.

Offline Sambo

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane, Queensland
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1828

• Total Badges: 43
    Eighth year Anniversary Fourpence ( Groat ) 5000 Posts Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 08:20 »
For those thinking of purchasing this book, here is an excerpt about Iron Bias from the author found on another Forum. 

Book Excerpt: "Iron Bias"
(Settings X 6 + long press, “+” or “-“ to adjust, “Detect” to exit).
The need for an Iron Bias setting on the Equinox derives from the operating characteristic of a high gain detector. While the Equinox’s sophisticated electronics act to inhibit inconsistent responses like iron, at the same time because there is so much Sensitivity going down into the ground there is still the possibility of iron falseing taking place. This involves iron objects that have very unusual properties such as a spike nail upended, or something large enough to mimic a non-ferrous response by overwhelming the machine’s circuits and coming in at the top of the discriminate range (termed “wraparound”) While these are usually recognisable by target testing (cross sweep for one), at the same time there is a need for a control that regulates the level of consistency in a target which is assigned the audio (rougher or broken tone) of iron. This feature is also useful to relic hunters or anyone wanting to hunt for coins in dense iron. You have the choice of trying to knock the iron out by way of the Equinox’s software, or opening up the machine to get cleaner, fuller responses on iron in order to hear what’s mixed in with it.
In effect, “Iron Bias” is a filter. Whereas the ground’s signal represents a large, unstable, response, a good target can be seen as a small, narrow and consistent response. “Iron Bias acts to mediate the “line” where this distinction is made. This doesn’t just include iron—but any object which contains multiple metals. So “Iron Bias” can be used to change responses from bottlecaps, corroded coins—anything that’s not “clean” metal such as silver, copper aluminum or gold. It’s worth noting though that with some targets that are comprised of both iron and non-ferrous metal, “Iron Bias” may act to “clean up” the signal—making it sound better. This is similar to the way that many rusted targets will sound better after several passes of a BBS detector (Sovereign / Excalibur) coil. The machine’s built-in bias is removing the inconsistent parts of the signal. Conversely, a lower setting can emphasise the alloying of an unwanted target--effectively “breaking it up.”
It’s worth noting though that because all metal in the ground “mixes” with it’s signal (corroded or not), using high levels of “Iron Bias” acts to reduce detection of all targets.
Understanding how “Iron Bias” works is an important lesson in how detectors work. In effect, they don’t just “punch down” though the ground to detect a metal target. Instead, what a detector does is to assess both the ground and any metal that’s in it and then separate the two—based upon this consistent / inconsistent scale. This is the scale that an “Iron Bias” control operates on.
“Iron Bias” can also be used a tool to moderate the effects of “black sand” by changing the machine’s response to the large, scattered inconsistent response it produces and promoting any “clean” metal targets that are mixed in with it. It also has the potential to stabilize the detector in “black sand” by reducing the Sensitivity to this erratic signal. This may require a higher or lower setting depending on the conditions.
When many hunters want to get the maximum depth with the Equinox, they take the “Iron Bias” right down to “1” or “2.” With this setting it’s generally agreed that frequent “Ground Balancing” of the machine helps to reduce the response to iron.
The “trade-off” here though is that you will still be “fooled” by more iron false signals.
by Clive James Clynick
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Teknetics Omega, Minelab Explorer II
  • Oldest find: 1826 King George IV Penny ; 1843 QV Four Pence (Groat)

Offline Sambo

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane, Queensland
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1828

• Total Badges: 43
    Eighth year Anniversary Fourpence ( Groat ) 5000 Posts Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2018, 08:24 »
And another on Audio Recognition.  The guy knows his stuff and the book seems a good buy for anyone wanting a better understanding of detectors in general, not just the Nox.

13/ Audio Recognition
The Equinox’s audio tones need some practice to interpret. One of the first things I noticed about this detector was that it reported multiple tones on some bottle caps--a very good sign. That is the brass, the tin, the steel of these caps--all sounded off. Some also gave weak, broken tones. This was due to the machine’s precise reporting and built in bias against iron, steel, odd shaped objects and alloys. When you learn to listen for these broken, “skewed,” “bitty” or multiple tones the need to be continually looking at the meter is reduced.
The Equinox’s sophisticated electronics make for a high standard of processing. What I mean by this is that an object has to be “clean” metal, coin sized, and ideally, round to produce a good sound (and stable, centered ID). The key is to learn to listen for the work that the detector is doing for you. This involves audio recognition. A good way to practice your “ear” skills is to try and tell if something will “stay in” --that is--be a repeatable signal from the first sound it makes. This is a good way to get in the habit of concentrating on the signal tone.

It’s not enough to hear a sound that falls within a given “notch” or discriminate pattern. Practice listening hard for “quality signals.” This simple basic skill is worth all the features and settings in the world.
Another thing worth noting in the design of the pre-set modes is that where the intention is to use “Tone Break” to segment and distinguish between targets on the conductive scale--“5 Tone” is used. (“Park 1” and “Beach 1”). The idea here is the use the machine’s clean transitions to be alerted to exact differences--between a silver coin and a zinc penny for example.
Where the intention is to select the cleanest responses in dense trash, “50 Tone” is used. (“Park 2” and “Field 2”). This is more of a jewellery setting that allows
you to hear more definition in the tones and listen for even sounds. Objects like misshapen lead scrap, “can-slaw,” and weak foils will become more obvious using “50 Tone.”
Become familiar with both of these types of approaches--it’s an important difference in the types of applications and target distinctions that the Equinox is capable of.
Picture Caption:
Audio recognition of poor versus quality responses with a high gain detector. With a high gain detector like the Equinox, it’s important to learn to recognize short, “clipped” “sound offs” that the machine's power can bring up. Another thing to listen for is the broken or segmented “too big” tone.

From: The Minelab Equinox: "From Beginner to Advanced" (201
by Clive James Clynick
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Teknetics Omega, Minelab Explorer II
  • Oldest find: 1826 King George IV Penny ; 1843 QV Four Pence (Groat)

xx
Equinox

Started by Nuke em on Equinox

24 Replies
Last post December 18, 2017, 20:35
by Nuke em
smiley
First run with the Equinox

Started by GemQ on Equinox

21 Replies
Last post February 22, 2018, 17:12
by Way2Go