collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  DIY DETECTOR BUILD  (Read 3788 times)

Offline Rinkerdink

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Brisbane, Qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8

• Total Badges: 2
    Badges: (View All)
    10 Posts First Post
Re: DIY DETECTOR BUILD
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2017, 21:38 »
Fascinating thread!  I'm guessing a diy job isn't recommended as your first detector?
I'm not intimidated by the build but problem is I won't really know if there is something wrong with it or if it's cause I don't know how to operate it 😂
  • Detector(s) owned/used: None yet
  • Oldest find: Old British penny

Offline SteelPat

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Ocean Grove, Victoria
    • Central Appliance Service
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37

• Total Badges: 19
    Fifth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2017, 04:58 »
If you start with the MPP project, it has a good build guide that helps you through every step. You will learn to operate it as you go.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPZ 7000, GPX4500, Eureka Gold, ProFind 25, numerous experimental designs

Offline Rinkerdink

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

10 Posts First Post
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2017, 12:33 »
Thanks SP. I never thought of it like that! Makes total sense. Will order today, if nothing else it'll give me something else to tinker with 🙂

Offline Rinkerdink

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

10 Posts First Post
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2017, 19:40 »
The mpp kit and the surf board (only) are on their way, bought the metal detector bible today too, it's fair to say that it has begun 😃

Offline bicter

• Bronze

10%
    • I live in: QLD, 4307
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 57

• Total Badges: 29
    Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts Commonwealth Halfpenny The Gold Ring Florin Nugget Under 1 Ounce Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence 50 Posts 10 Posts
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2017, 21:01 »
My SMPro is set up on the test bench and getting good depth(not optimal) on $1 coin, about 10 inches. Tomorrow will duck into jaycar and get components to optimise damping for the 8" coil. Once that is done, I'll post the results and also try the 11" minelab commander on it. I managed to pull it apart today and couldn't see any obvious problem that would make it bump sensitive apart from the shield wire looked oxidised but that could have been carbon from the shield. Cleaned it anway and will see how it goes
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD2100,GPX5000, AT Pro, SD2100, Coinmaster, propointer, Safari, Whites Dual Field PI
  • Oldest find: 1866 Sixpence, gold nuggets

Offline Rinkerdink

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

10 Posts First Post
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 19:57 »
Ok so, I didn't realise how much go's into the coil manufacture!  I've had a look on the geotech forum and keep getting lost in the morass of information.  I just want a easy(ish) coil to make that will work with a MPP.  I remember seeing a photo of a coil that had loads of cable ties holding the bundle together, this looked a lot more achievable than the cats cradles of pain i've seen on the geotech forum.  Failing this can you buy cheaply made coils to suit? I don't see the point spending hundreds on one for the ahem "detector" i'm going to be producing.
If somebody could spoon feed me an easy design together with cable type and size it would be much appreciated, feeling bewildered and I haven't even given much thought about a handle or the cover for the coil yet, I've seen a handle cobbled together out of an old crutch and some pvc pipe that looks doable but any idea's on how to house the coil, would again be much appreciated :-)
Cheers
Chris

Offline bicter

• Bronze

10%
  • Liked:

Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts Commonwealth Halfpenny The Gold Ring Florin Nugget Under 1 Ounce Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence 50 Posts 10 Posts
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 21:14 »
Chris,
Don't use cable ties for the coil. As you tighten cables you affect the properties, best to use spirap from jaycar.

The first thing to do is determine what size coil will best suit your needs.

Then work out if you want to shield it

Then carry out a bit of research and work out what size insulated wire you will use bearing in mind the dielectric of the insulation and the effect of the space between wires on the speed of the coil.

Punch the answers to the above into the coil calculator and use the results provided for a pretty close answer.

Then you can begin to build your coil. I'd recommend aiming for around 300uH initially. Wind several extra turns on the coil so you can adjust inductance down to 300uH by removing turns, much easier than cutting the wire too short.
If you research each of the above questions individually, you will find the coil will be fine.
Essentially, if you get it not quite right, by adjusting the damping resistor to minimise ringing, you will maximise your depth.
Where you may lose out with a poorly matched coil is a reduction in depth, particularly on poor conductors such as gold
Finally, if that's all a bit much, you can contact tacoma56 on fleabay http://www.ebay.com/sch/tacoma56/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from= 
He will build you one c/w housing. I purchased an 8 inch coil from him for about $80 plus $51 freight.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD2100,GPX5000, AT Pro, SD2100, Coinmaster, propointer, Safari, Whites Dual Field PI

Offline Rinkerdink

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

10 Posts First Post
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2017, 21:45 »
Thanks bicter, the pre made one is looking attractive.  This detector doesn't have to be great, as long as it picks up a ring pull at 5mm it'll do me - it's the necessary leverage required to go out and buy one if it becomes a regular pursuit :-)  i'm thinking 200mm (nice middle ground) diameter in the varnished copper with spirap and an expanding foam shaper.

As I said, if I can get a squeak out of this thing i'll be delighted and may even go out and get an old crutch to mount it all on :-)

Offline bicter

• Bronze

10%
  • Liked:

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 22:03 »
Whereabouts in brisbane are you, you're welcome to have a look at tacomas coil I bought, it's in pieces at the moment. I've been modifying it slightly 😁

Offline Rinkerdink

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

10 Posts First Post
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 22:29 »
I'm in  Bracken Ridge on the north side, might be handy to see how they go together, thinking about nail board and spiral wrap like you suggested. I watched a YouTube video of a guy that made an expanding foam mould around the coil and just filled it all in before coating with fibreglass.  I'll probably leave it at the expanding foam while I see if it's any good.  Can't seem to find where to buy that litz cable so might just go pvc or Teflon insulation and see how it go's.  Hopefully the pcb kit will be on its way soon so I can start doing some damage.

Offline SteelPat

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

Fifth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2017, 22:16 »
I had forgotten I did put up a video ages ago when I first modified the MPP with the ChipKit Uno processor. I hadnt added any GB at that stage but it does give you an idea of what its like on a home made coil (it turned out that coil was ok but a bit noisy out in the field. The shielding wasnt up to scratch. A commercial coil would give better results)

• Detector(s) owned/used: GPZ 7000, GPX4500, Eureka Gold, ProFind 25, numerous experimental designs

Offline Rinkerdink

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

10 Posts First Post
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2017, 22:32 »
Nice video pat, encouraging!  Wondering what you used for the coil - litz, teflon coated, pvc, enamelled copper or maybe something else?

Offline SteelPat

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2017, 22:38 »
That coil had litz wire but its not available anymore. I have used teflon coated before. Some of the manufacturers have the capacitance per foot listed in specs. Get the lowest capacitance you can find.

Offline Rinkerdink

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

10 Posts First Post
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2017, 15:22 »
Hi,

Just wondered how long it takes for stuff to be delivered from silverdog?  Ordered over the weekend and although I wouldn't expect to have received anything yet I thought I may have had a notification my order had been shipped by now.  Not sure if I should expect this notification or just wait for something to arrive?

Thanks

Chris

Offline SteelPat

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2017, 19:40 »
From memory it was about 10-14 days. 

Offline Westoz1

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: Southwest WA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 6
    One year Anniversary First Post
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2017, 01:38 »
I'd like a really small and short one for going snorkelling with, so you can poke around the rocks and crevices etc at swimming holes etc. An on steroids pin pointer is in my mind but with a 4-5 inch coil on it.
Might be a project for spring for me I think.
Might need to start a resources link thread to keep all the links together.

Clegy

I've  started to build something similar using a  silverdog surf pi kit and 5" Super pulse 150 coil
haven't bought all the stuff for it yet like the vibration motor setup but want to make kind of like a oversized vibra tector

here is a pic of it (still need to work out how long to make the shafts )

Offline bobsuruncle

• Copper

10%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61

• Total Badges: 3
    One year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2017, 11:03 »
My latest design almost finished
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett deepseeker , garrett at pro , 2 surf pi's and a couple of broken ones .
  • Oldest find: a 1" x 1" meteorite (Adelaide hills 1980)

Offline bobsuruncle

• Copper

10%
  • Liked:

« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2017, 16:54 »
nearly there........
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett deepseeker , garrett at pro , 2 surf pi's and a couple of broken ones .

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 778

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2017, 21:31 »
What rig is yours based on?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline daviddi

• Bronze

3.33%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 143

• Total Badges: 24
    Eighth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2017, 21:05 »
bobsuruncle, I like your design and build.

Ray, Only because I once considered building one as well do I see that it looks like the Silverdog Surf PI 1.2 Pulse Induction Metal Detector.

http://treasurehunters.co.za/forums/equipment-and-gear/building-silverdogs-surf-pi-1-2-detector/
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 21:08 by daviddi »

Offline bobsuruncle

• Copper

10%
  • Liked:

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2017, 08:29 »
G'day Rwork , it's a surf kit from silverdog mate . It's the last working one from a heap of boards I bought , the rest never worked . So any new ones will be a single side , long board . I print and etch these myself thanks to a friend who supplied me with a bmp file . ( thank Gary ). Cheers .

Offline 14FNX

• Are you here as part of the problem? Or part of the solution?
  • Bronze

100%
    • I live in: Logan, Queensland
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 171

Farthing Round 50 Cents Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Comm Penny 50 Posts The Gold Ring 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2017, 17:47 »
Well, after reading all the above, I wish Bob was my uncle.  Terrific effort.  Can't wait to hear how it performs. :)8)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use to own: GoldSeeker 15000, Ace 150, BH Tracker IV, Excalibur II. Now own: E-trac, Quattro, X-Terra 705, Equinox, Land & Sea PinPointer, Bounty Hunter PinPointer, XP Mi-6 Pinpointer..
  • Oldest find: 1470’s Spanish Blanco
Best Finds:
1470’s Spanish coin.
Gold plated sovereign holder.

Bucket list:
Sovereign - half or full
Rising sun badge
1938 Crown
Wheat threepence 

It's not just what you achieve in life: It's also what you overcome.

Offline bobsuruncle

• Copper

10%
  • Liked:

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2017, 09:55 »
Preliminary set up and testing .......surf 1.2 PI standard kit . Coil is 28 turns .28mm single strand copper scramble wound on a Styrofoam former and sealed , no shielding . first test on AU 20 cent coin .....whisper at 15 plus inches , good loud signal at 11 inches . A little too sensitive as ground noise is present in damp soil. More to come , cheers .edit : Induction of coil is 240 uh .
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 09:57 by bobsuruncle »

Offline bobsuruncle

• Copper

10%
  • Liked:

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2018, 09:27 »
Prototype 5 is finished . I'm going to dampen the coil with a variable resistor and an external delay pot will be fitted . First find was a 1c coin (shallow) . A few coins and then a moderate signal which got stronger and stronger as I dug a 2ft hole and gave up as it probably would have been a large chunk of iron ( lots of deep iron in the spot where I test ) More to come . Cheers , Dave .P.S. I forgot the actual reason for this post ......Weight !  With battery pack , 10 AAs and headphones ....ready...1.81 kg . So it's easy to use .
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:37 by bobsuruncle »

Offline ohb1

• Platinum

56.67%
    • I live in: Sunshine Coast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 528

• Total Badges: 36
    Seventh year Anniversary Florin Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Wheat Three Pence Round 50 Cents 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 11:07 »
....Weight !  With battery pack , 10 AAs and headphones ....ready...1.81 kg . So it's easy to use .
How did you go with the balance of the machine?  I've tried a few options with one of my old detectors...it's either too heavy at the back end, making it like a wand to swing.... or it's too front heavy, making it an arm/ wrist tearer....10 AA's should keep the machine going for a while!
ohb1
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Laser B1; Tesoro Cortes; Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab 3030; Garrett Pro Pointer
  • Oldest find: George IV shilling 1825-1829
swing..sweet silver succumbs.... sorrow,scratched, still, sentimental... smile, satisfied,... search, somewhere, sometime, silver

xx
Metal Detector Video Camera Mount on AT PRO but would suit any Detector

Started by Smurf on General Detecting Chatter

1 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 19:58
by Rwork
xx
detector coil/detector coil interference

Started by brianincnb on General Detecting Chatter

6 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 21:24
by goldnugget01