collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Whites TDI PRO/SPP outings  (Read 21981 times)

Offline hermann

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: drysdale vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 10
    Badges: (View All)
    10 Posts Fourth year Anniversary First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Whites TDI PRO and SPP outings
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2014, 12:07 »
Hi ivannll,   I am thinking of putting the SPP control box vertically under the shaft.  The coil cable plug is then in the centre.   On a rainy day the water will not drop into the speaker, and I think that I can operate the control knobs with the left hand easier.   I think that the control knobs need some protection from accidental adjustment.  Do you think that there are any negatives to this idea?   Cheers,  Hermann.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: gpx4500

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 147

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2014, 14:12 »
It would be feasible, as for being practical ??.................as is it's usable with either hand.
ivanll
There is no honour in fake memberships or postings ! ~ Trust and respect is earned!

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2015, 20:19 »
Out testing a new drop in Li-Ion battery pack in the SPP, what better place to do it than a location on a Gold field.
Took apart the large 8 cell pack previously made, as I prefer to charge each cell individually.
SPP and this battery pack will work equally well with 4 cells or 3 cells and a dummy substitute.
Charger work from 240/12 volt and take 1 to 6 cells.

ivanll

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2015, 09:38 »
Drop in battery packs for those that's into making your own.

Green one is from a laptop computer recycled/modified for the SPP, but I prefer to charge each sell separately so that was again modified to the 3 or 4 cell pack.
Red battery pack from a power tool will also be dismantled and recycled.

Alternative is a 10 cell AA holder also a perfect fit drop in for the SPP.

However the 4 cell 18650 Li-Ion pack is by far the most convenient one, also the 18650 cells come in higher mAh capacity so they are easily replaced.

ivanll

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2015, 16:50 »
This 12 volt drop-in powerpack for the SPP will not blow the detector up, but it can hold the capacity to prolong a day of detecting.

A couple of 18650 Li-Ion battery cell holders will make an excellent drop-in power pack.

3x 3.7v Green cells (11~12 volt) @ 2400 mAh will last me around 4 hours, 2x3 cells in parallel = 4800 mAh will last my prospecting day.

For those who crave longer lasting performance 2x3 cell @ 3500 mAh in parallel (7000 mAh) should satisfy the fittest....... however with this much power capacity at hand, it might be worth for some with soft hands to be wearing gloves.

ivanll
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 16:53 by ivanll »

Offline SunriseBoy

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: Murgon, Qld.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 4
    Second year Anniversary First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2015, 10:45 »
Drop in battery packs for those that's into making your own.

Green one is from a laptop computer recycled/modified for the SPP, but I prefer to charge each sell separately so that was again modified to the 3 or 4 cell pack.
Red battery pack from a power tool will also be dismantled and recycled.

Alternative is a 10 cell AA holder also a perfect fit drop in for the SPP.

However the 4 cell 18650 Li-Ion pack is by far the most convenient one, also the 18650 cells come in higher mAh capacity so they are easily replaced.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Ivan, how can I get you to make one of these for my SL?

Best regards....Robin

ivanll
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used to have a Garrett AT Pro

Offline ozziii

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: Ballarat, Victoria.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2015, 23:24 »
Hi Ivan, nice job on the batteries.
Got a question though as I use an SPP, the 18650 batteries, using 4 of them like your battery pack, the voltage is 14.4v, but when fully charged the voltage reading of each battery is over 4v (I have a few for use in flash lights), will this cause any problems as the max voltage for the SPP from what I was told is 16v.
Also, what advantages do you find you get from using the 4x 18650's, I'm guessing you would get around 5hrs runtime as you mentioned around 4hrs with the 3x 2400mAh batteries.
I was going to try 8x 3.2v 1600mAh LiFePO4 batteries (AA size, (14500's) set up in parallel, (2 sets of 4) for 12.8v but more power is meant to be better from what I understand. I'm only new to detecting so still learning.

Thanks.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites SPP
  • Oldest find: Really rusty nail

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2015, 15:13 »
"Hi Ivan, how can I get you to make one of these for my SL?
Best regards....Robin"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - - -- - -  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

These are purely DIY experimental projects that happen to work just fine.......... pictures are to show it's possible and for those that might wish to give it a go and make their own.
ivanll

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 15:23 »
Hi Ivan, nice job on the batteries.
Got a question though as I use an SPP, the 18650 batteries, using 4 of them like your battery pack, the voltage is 14.4v, but when fully charged the voltage reading of each battery is over 4v (I have a few for use in flash lights), will this cause any problems as the max voltage for the SPP from what I was told is 16v.
Also, what advantages do you find you get from using the 4x 18650's, I'm guessing you would get around 5hrs runtime as you mentioned around 4hrs with the 3x 2400mAh batteries.
I was going to try 8x 3.2v 1600mAh LiFePO4 batteries (AA size, (14500's) set up in parallel, (2 sets of 4) for 12.8v but more power is meant to be better from what I understand. I'm only new to detecting so still learning.

Thanks.

There have been a lot of talk and posts with regards to SPP batteries on another forum, I shall not comment on those.

I do my own tests as to what is most suitable for me, but have not found any increased in actual finds by using a higher voltage (4 cell 18650 Li-Ion) pack than when using the 3 cell pack.

So the 4 cell drop in pack is handy for testing with quick change over between 3 or 4 cells.

Battery test with and without load.

My latest  3 or 6 cell 18650 Li-Ion battery pack is what I will use in the future, it's easy/convenient to use it will produce all the voltage required and the mAh capacity can easily be changed to suite the days detecting, also when the lower battery voltage warning/limit of the SPP is reached it's still above the damage point of the Li-Ion cells.

ivanll

Offline ozziii

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2015, 00:14 »
Thanks very much Ivan.
In your opinion, would using the 4x 18650 batteries be harmful to the SPP & is the 16v max limit correct or could it handle a little more. I doesn't worry me about running the max voltage or not but would just like to know if its correct as I did read somewhere else a while back that the SPP could take 18v max.

I heard the low voltage light didn't work with batteries other than alkaline & the Nimh batteries, I guess that was wrong, although I put the conductivity switch in the light hole in ours anyway & was just going to time how long a charged lithium pack had been used then change it for another pack.
That's part of the reason I was interested in the 4x 18650 batteries, slightly longer use before changing batteries, its just the voltage I was concerned about.

Thanks again, info is very much appreciated.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2015, 22:21 »
It is likely the SPP can handle a battery voltage made up of 4x18650 cells over a prolonged period, question is how long will the battery last without an included low voltage safety circuit.

As far as I know the Red low voltage battery LED come on at around 8.5 volt, which is ok if using 8 NiMh cells as supplied since their lower limit have not been exceeded to do damage, therefore if NiMh cells are to be used get the highest capacity (mAh) available to prolong the run time.

Using 10 NiMh cells which is well above 12 volt when newly charged could seem to be perfect, but it's not if one continue to run the detector till the SPPs 8.5 volt cut out limit, by this time the cells are well below 1. volt and will most likely be ruined.

3x 18650 cells will give more than enough voltage to power the SPP safely and longer than the NiMh battery and the 18650 cells can be had with higher mAh capacity.

ivanll

Offline ozziii

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2015, 22:51 »
Thanks very much Ivan.
I've got half a dozen 18650 batteries from an old laptop, they are around 2000mAh but going to get a few more so should have plenty to change them every couple of hours so that should be ok if I keep an eye on time but I will check voltage with a multi meter to work out run times as well just to be sure.
The batteries I have at the moment are around 4.1-4.2v fully charged so using 4 would probably be ok but maybe just sticking with 3 like you said is a better option anyway.
I might end up putting the light back in yet & just drill a hole for the conductivity switch, will see how things go, would be ok if there was some way of having a little beeper type alarm in place of the light though as I'm not normally looking at the detector box.
Maybe there's a way that could be done somehow. If something like that was plugged in to the light plug then it would beep when the light would normally come on so it might work.
Thanks again, your info has been very helpful.
Paul.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2015, 18:48 »
It is said the SPP do not work with DD coils......... judge for yourself.

Had the threshold audio a little high.

Another copy.
http://www.yourupload.com/file/detail/?id=950905

ivanll
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 18:52 by ivanll »

Offline ozziii

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2015, 01:46 »
Nice finds Ivan. I read that mono coils were better suited & was told the same when I purchased the SPP but it seems they do a good job with the DD coils. 
I just purchased a Razorback longreach folded mono, 7.5x12, seems to be going well but I'm yet to find any gold, not sure what I'm doing wrong but hopefully this new coil will help, getting some headphones soon as well & using 1.5v Duracell alkaline batteries for a bit more voltage for the RB coil.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2015, 15:10 »
Research is all good, but nothing beats first hand experiences and some DIY!

Some of the smaller coils I have used on the TDI-Pro and SPP......All are working well on small gold pickers to 0.06 gram some even to 0.03 gram, from 0.06g and smaller I much prefer a capable VLF.

ivanll

Offline ozziii

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2015, 23:58 »
Thanks Ivan, A smaller coil is something I wouldn't mind, like the RB 6x10, not sure if I should go the normal or folded mono though, thinking normal as they get slightly more depth from what I'm told but it will still be good on small stuff. Probably should have got the smaller coil before getting the 7.5x12 F8.
Have you used the RB 7.5x12 F8 on the SPP, if so, what are your thoughts on this coil.
Thanks for your help.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2015, 10:58 »
I'm using an early Razorback 8.5"x11" F8 Mono like the (Razorback "Longreach" TDI Series 7.5" x 12" Mono Coil) it's a nice size coil to use.

My choice for a small sensitive coil with coverage would be the Miner John Designs 5"x9" Elliptical TDI DD Coil.
I did inquire but at present it only come with a 5ft coil cable and I wanted 6ft, so I'll have to wait.

ivanll

Offline ozziii

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2015, 21:11 »
Yeah the 7.5x12 RB Longreach F8 I have seems like a good coil so far, not that I've had much experience with different coils, Maybe the MJ 5x9 DD might be a better choice for our next coil, will have to look into them.
I thought it was just the Razorback Longreach coils that had the shortened 5 foot cable, Brian told me the RB had short cables because a longer one wasn't needed here as very few people chest mounted the TDI,  he didn't mention anything about the MJ coils having a short cable though.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2015, 14:24 »
DIY Battery for TDI-Pro.

Choice of 18650 Battery cells and chargers.
http://www.urbanoutback.com.au/p/2-x-keeppower-panasonic-18650-genuine-3500mah-li-i/PAN-3500

1-Tray, 1-connector 4x3500 mAh 18650 cells ....... around $85.

Observe polarity of battery cells when installing in charger or battery tray...... No circuit board with diodes or heat sensors required.

Use 18650 Li-ion cell capacity of your choice.

ivanll
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 12:55 by ivanll »

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #44 on: July 17, 2016, 18:16 »
Tried the KENTLI 1.5 volt "LIP" Rechargeable battery cells in an SPP.

12 volt as recommended by Whites.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 14:40 by ivanll »

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2016, 16:05 »
TDI-Pro with Coiltek Probe got to the bottom of the hole.

ivanll

Offline lazyaussie

• Platinum

76.67%
    • I live in: Clunes Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1551

• Total Badges: 32
    Eighth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2016, 17:55 »
looks like a ripper of a nugget mate :o  congrats
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett AT pro, garrett ace 250, garrett pro pointer, garrett sea hunter, whites dual field,
  • Oldest find: 1797 cartwheel penny x 2
pirate monkeys do it in the sea

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2016, 11:29 »
A spin with the SPP on a property somewhere over near Georgetown Qld.

Both my TDI-Pro and SPP have benefit from using a DD coil, less ground noise more low conductor sound.

A good steady supply of power is also a benefit  not to be underestimated. 

ivanll

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

73.33%
  • Liked:

Re: Whites TDI PRO/SPP outings
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2018, 10:58 »

All photos not found as indicated is actually available, but preventive changes to the forum is the reason they are missing and can't be replaced. :(

ivanll 

exclamation
Whites Surf PI Pro outings.

Started by ivanll on Whites

10 Replies
Last post December 04, 2016, 16:23
by whitehunter
xx
Whites V3i

Started by Count Pierre on Whites

14 Replies
Last post January 10, 2013, 23:28