collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  GC-10 Metal Detector  (Read 4200 times)

boagesmalone

GC-10 Metal Detector
« on: August 18, 2012, 10:18 »
Hi all,

This is my first post since joining this forum. Does anyone have a GC-10 or know anything about this make and model. My daughters are thinking of buying me this model for fathers day and as I have very little knowledge on metal detectors I thought I should do some investigating before they go ahead and spend $200... Like they say you only get what you pay for. While I do want a metal detector, I don't want them to spend more than $200. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers James

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=13496.0

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 947

• Total Badges: 51
    Badges: (View All)
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
Re: GC-10 Metal Detector
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:25 »
Some members have had that model and changed to another as soon as they were able. The girls would be better off buying you a brand name second hand machine.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 13:55 by Rwork »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

boagesmalone

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 10:28 »
Here is a link to a webpage I found on Google regarding the GC-10. http://www.centurymail.com.au/products/metal-detector.html

Offline Prospector_Pete

• Gold

0%
    • I live in: Newcastle NSW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 22
    Fifth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 10:33 »
You could probably pick up a second hand Ace250 for that price.
I wouldnt bother with the GC-10 to be honest  :)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Ace250, Garrett AT Pro International, Minelab GPX5000, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche Raptor
  • Oldest find: 1833 Liberty Head One Cent

boagesmalone

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 10:35 »
Thanks Rwork and Prospector_Pete, I thought as much particularly as I'm having trouble finding information about the GC-10.

Does GC represent the initials of the manufacturer?

Offline ken625

• Gold

0%
    • I live in: melbourne
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55

Fifth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 10:45 »
hi mate....by the look of it it looks like the more expensive one than i brought but same manufacture....with my el cheoppo great at finding the big clumps of metal but  did not pick up coins....i know others will have a heap of advice bout  which detector you should get my advice would be a brand new bounty hunter 4 you caan pick up brand new for around 150 ish and money left over for a pin pointer if you chose well 2nd hand pin pointer my bh has served me well in the 4months i have had it....i just dont have the luck of coin spills or honey spots lol.....but when i went through all this i got the best advice ever from one of the forum members....any detector is better than none so whatever you chose good luck!..........and welcome to the forum and the soon to be wonderful world of this great hobby
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ell cheapo chinesse detector, bounty hunter IV, garret pro pointer , at pro,pro find,deus
  • Oldest find: 1875 shilling

Offline Prospector_Pete

• Gold

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 10:45 »
Probably stands for God its from China  ;D
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Ace250, Garrett AT Pro International, Minelab GPX5000, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche Raptor

Offline Prospector_Pete

• Gold

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 10:49 »
Probably the best advice over which detector to buy,
is buy the best you can get for the money you want to spend  ;)

boagesmalone

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 11:26 »
Thanks ken625, that's good to know. I like your comment "any detector is better than none so whatever you chose good luck". Reminds me of how a was brought up as a child. My parents always bought me the cheapest and nastiest to start with to see whether I would develop my skills and remain interested. However, I'm not sure whether prospecting will bring much enjoyment and keep me interested if all I'm discovering are a few bottle tops, shell casings and old tin cans... Assuming that's all the GC-10 is good for. I'm just about to look up some info on the Bounty Hunter 4 as you suggested. Cheers and thanks again.

boagesmalone

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 11:29 »
Thanks for the warning Prospector_Pete... "God its from China":)

alimo88

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 11:38 »
mallone

you still there?

DO NOT PURCHASE

JJ

PM sent
check your messages or e-mail
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 12:11 by alimo88 »

Offline ken625

• Gold

0%
    • I live in: melbourne
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 12:13 »
id love to take the credit for that quote but its not mine lol another fourum member said the exact same quote to me i would say thank them ecept i cant rember who it was that said it lol
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ell cheapo chinesse detector, bounty hunter IV, garret pro pointer , at pro,pro find,deus
  • Oldest find: 1875 shilling

boagesmalone

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 12:25 »
Yes alimo88, I just sent you a personal message.

Offline Bower bird

• Gold

0%
    • I live in: Townsville, QLD
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5

• Total Badges: 20
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 12:28 »
I agree with the others, get a 2nd hand Garrett Ace 250 or a new Bounty Hunter Fast Tracker IV, a few places have the fast tracker for $200 or close to, usually with a 5 year warranty.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Began with a Goldsnoop, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Garrett A2B Groundhog. Tried a Excal, now using XS2-pro Sovereign and a XT1700
  • Oldest find: A english military button from about 1885
If it's shiny or moves I'll notice it even if it's a well camouflaged critter.

boagesmalone

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 12:57 »
Thanks guys for your comments. Seeing that no one has anything positive to say about the GC-10 I'll tell my girls to forget about buying me one and take the money instead,and then do some more research before I decide which one to buy. I was just telling alimo88 that I live very close to the Shoalhaven River (NSW) where I've been told there are large amounts of alluvial gold. My girls and their partners do a lot of camping and Four-wheel driving along the Shoalhaven River and I was thinking of doing some prospecting while they go about their Four-wheel driving. I'm just about to head off to the Gold Detecting section of this forum to do some more reading... Love this site :)

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 947

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 14:01 »
If you can find the remains of any prospectors camps along the river you may find relics and coins. It is unlikely that you will find any gold unless you buy a dedicated gold machine. A panning dish and a shovell might get you some specks.
Welcome to the forum and i hope to see some pictures of your finds in the future.   Rwork.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

boagesmalone

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 15:41 »
If you can find the remains of any prospectors camps along the river you may find relics and coins. It is unlikely that you will find any gold unless you buy a dedicated gold machine. A panning dish and a shovell might get you some specks.
Welcome to the forum and i hope to see some pictures of your finds in the future.   Rwork.

Thanks Rwork, exactly what I've been reading.

The Garrett AT Gold is within my prize range at $899 provided the family can throw in a couple of hundred. I can't afford to go beyond that and I want to avoid getting something cheap and soon realize I'm wasting my time, albeit might be great fun to begin with. So far I like the sound of the AT Gold http://www.garrettaustralia.com.au/products/AT-Gold.html

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 20
    Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 15:17 »
The GC-10 is not better than nothing, it is much worse .
You would have fun with a Tracker IV. It may not be the spiffyest detector around but it works quite well as a coin and relic detector . Not a total waste of money like the GC-10 is.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 19:32 by Adrian ss »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum
  • SO MUCH GROUND....SO LITTLE TIME.

10%
    • I live in: Shearwater
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52

• Total Badges: 34
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 09:36 »
Welcome boagsmalone. Interesting nic. Boags as in the Tasmanian beer?. I used and still own a Tracker IV and find it to be a great machine. I got mine because funds dried up while saving for an X terra 305 and the BH is one of the better cheapies. It will work on the beach both in the dry and wet sand and goes reasonably deep. It does struggle in high rubbish areas though. The Tracker found enough coin for me to get my AT PRO INTERNATIONAL with only a little extra from consolidated funds. ( helps when the finance controller doesn't have to agree to too many funds ;). ) The international is part of the AT PRO family with I think the main difference between it and the gold is in the frequency. The Garrets  are great machines that you  can relax with  around water.
Roger
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 800
  • Oldest find: 1806 King George III penny
The bucket list. Gothic Florin - found, Gold ring - found, Trench Art - not found, Sunrise badge - not found, Cricket buckle = not found, Sov or half Sov - not found.

xx
KTS Metal detector

Started by warren on Other generic

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 21:06
by warren
xx
DIY Metal Detector

Started by Walksalot on Other generic

5 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 14:20
by 6666