collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Review - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV  (Read 8685 times)

happyhunter

Review - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
« on: May 02, 2010, 13:30 »
The BH Tracker IV is an entry level detector.  It's features are simple and easy to use.  The interface consists of a Sensitivity knob, a Discrimination level knob, an analog meter and a toggle switch, to switch between All Metal, Discrimination and Tone Discrimination. 

Price varies depending on whether you want to buy in Australia or import it.  In Australia price is around $325, but it is available overseas for around $US99 plus shipping, warranty then becomes a consideration as imported models would need to be returned to country of origin for warranty service, at the customers expense.

The machine come standard with an 8" concentric coil, with a 5" and 10" coil also available.  I only have experience using the 8" coil.

The machines specifications indicate that it has automatic ground balance.  This feature appears to work quite well, I have never noticed any problems with ground balance with the machine.  However, I have only used it a little in the wet sand, although I still got some targets.

Two 9v batteries are all that is required for power, and these last maybe 15-20 hours of detecting, when using headphones and not the built in speaker.

In all metal mode, as the name implies, all types of metal will be found.  The is only single tone in all metal mode, and it doesn't seem to give much information - just a solid tone when some form of metal is under the coil.  Depth is reasonable I have dug iron from around 20 - 25 cms and some holes have got a bit further with still a strong signal before I gave up the task as something big, iron and too much trouble.

In regular discrimination you at least get iron rejection and as the knob is turned further toward the maximum, metals become progressively eliminated.  At a bit further than 1/2 turn, you only get $1, 20c 10c and coppers and silver.  I generally use this setting for hunting, with the knob at about 1/4 turn, which eliminates iron but allows all the pre-decimal and decimal coins, and still allows gold rings to be found if you are willing to dig all the pull tabs.  You also get a fair bit of info on the target from the sound response of different metal types, coins giving a crisper response, while junk is a bit more irregular and broader.  This of course is not hard and fast. 

In Tone discrimination mode, there are two tones, a low tone for low conductive metals and a high tone for highly conductive metals.  The manual also advises that you can achieve a broken tone for pull tabs with the disc. knob set about 12pm, this also in practice give a broken tone for gold rings, $2 coins and 50 cent coins, so i have not found this particularly useful.  However, with the disc. knob set about 1/4 it gives good signals on all wanted targets as well as pull tabs as well. 

The analog meter is a bit of a puzzle for me, the manual doesn't really make mention of it, when over any target, the needle always jumps to the maximum, there are not units of measurement on the dial itself, I have concluded that it is really there just for show, as I can find no useful purpose for it.  It does make it look more important though, it looks like it should measure something!

Overall, I am very pleased with this detector, for the price it does what is promised.  Although on the Kellyco website it is listed under the childrens metal detector, it is no toy.  I have found a decent amount of decimals, a couple of pre-decimals and a gold and a silver ring with it during my first 3 months of use.

I would recommend it for anyone looking for an entry level detector that can actually find some valuable targets, while discriminating the junk as far as possible.  It is also a light machine, which means you don't feel it on your arm after a long time detecting.

The main drawback is no target identification, but it is too be expected for the price of the machine.  The model seems to have been around for at least 10 years, but the fact that it is still produced indicates that it is a decent machine, which i have found in practical use.

Although I am now looking to upgrade my machine as I now have a good feel for the hobby and want something a little more sophisticated, it is not going to happen overnight and am more than happy and excited to use my BH Tracker IV in the mean time.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=1453.0

alturbo68

Re: Review - Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 03:46 »
Hi i just bought 2 of these machines, for my wife and I. So far have found a $2 & a 2 cent. We have the coils that they came with. Going to see if they will find gold. I know that i should have a differant coil, that's coming in about 2 weeks. Yes they are so light you hardly know you are carrying them. Will put new posts up as i learn more/find more.

Offline aushunter

• Silver
  • Seek and thou shall find..

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Ipswich QLD
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 19
    Badges: (View All)
    Seventh year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 21:07 »
G'day people,
I like the BH Tracker, for the money it is value for sure.
The settings I use are Sens. turned full up and just back of until it stops warbling.
Disc about 10 o'clock, even got to the stage where I can almost determine a pulltab.
I noticed lately that pulltabs tend to give a good strong signal, but when I pass the coil over a couple of times
I notice a bit of a double hit on the target instead of a solid whoop. It loves the coins and have gotten a few at least 7" down.
Thumbs up for a entry level machine, next one will be a bit more serious,  maybe a Soveriegn.
Cheers and HH
Brad..
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab Excalibur II, Original Excalibur, Tracker IV, Garret Pro-pointer
  • Oldest find: A lump of gold

Offline Tracker

• Silver
  • Set your detector to stun~!

0%
    • I live in: Melbourne, Victoria
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 20
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 00:43 »
Thanks for the reviews, I will be picking mine up before the end of the month and am looking forward to giving it a good play   ;D
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
  • Oldest find: 1910 Australian Three Pence

Offline Tracker

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 00:44 »
Thanks Aushunter and Happyhunter the settings youguys recommend are spot on for the tracker four. I tried them out down at a local park today and reaped the rewards, you can have a look here if you like, http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php/topic,7210.0.html
Thanks for taking the time, much appreciated :)

Offline Aussie Detecting

• Platinum
  • www.aussiedetectors.com

0%
    • I live in: Bendigo Vic
    • Aussie Detecting & Prospecting
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 12:39 »
So where did everyone buy theirs? I'll be bringing them in after Christmas. It'll be interesting to see how many were purchased overseas.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Too many.
  • Oldest find: Roman coin
It's all about having fun.
www.aussiedetectors.com

Offline Tracker

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 14:25 »
So where did everyone buy theirs? I'll be bringing them in after Christmas. It'll be interesting to see how many were purchased overseas.

I was given mine as a gift but it was purchased online after much research.

It was imported from the US to Sydney and then shipped to Melbourne from there because we couldn't find any for sale at a reasonable price here.
Miners Den has them listed on their website for $335.00 but that seems a bit ridiculous as they RETAIL for less than $100 in the states.

Mine ended costing $149.00 au + $20 for insured postage and packaging and was the same price as importing it myself but much quicker to bring it in from the Sydney retailer than from the US. From the US it would have taken a couple of weeks but from Sydney it only took a couple of days.

I would have preferred to buy one locally so I could have had the chance to chat with someone about it and also have the security of being able to take it back to the store if there was something wrong with it. I took a calculated risk but luckily it arrived without damage and in perfect working order.  :)

Hope this is of some help to you buddy.

Offline Aussie Detecting

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

Seventh year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 14:33 »
It helps a lot mate. At the moment I'm figuring out my prices so I'll have to have a look at their website. I see this as my opportunity to bring in some fair pricing on the detectors. When you look at it the cost price is not all that much more then the US. We have to pay import tax & GST, 30% on top of cost. So with that I can't see why the RRP is so much dearer here?
With Garrett & Fisher I have no choice. But with Bounty Hunter it's up to me. Same with Teknetics.

Offline Aussie Detecting

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 16:39 »
Just worked my price on bounty hunter tracker IV. All I can say is wow miners den is making a fortune! My retail comes to $241 not including postage. But in that price is enough room to do a fair deal. Their margin is shocking @ 2.5!
I will be doing my best to put together a price list for dealers & retail over the next week.

Offline Tracker

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 18:48 »
Good work Willy sounds like your on the job mate. They are a good little detector for the price and very robust.
I have bounced mine about in the back of the car down dirt tracks, scrubbed it on gravel in the bush, banged it on rocks and trees, used it in the saltwater, used it in the rain and my girlfriend even managed to slam it in the car door and it still keeps finding stuff.  Still on my first set of batteries as well  :)

Offline scratchinaround

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: a land of confusion.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 228

Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 02:31 »
It helps a lot mate. At the moment I'm figuring out my prices so I'll have to have a look at their website. I see this as my opportunity to bring in some fair pricing on the detectors. When you look at it the cost price is not all that much more then the US. We have to pay import tax & GST, 30% on top of cost. So with that I can't see why the RRP is so much dearer here?
With Garrett & Fisher I have no choice. But with Bounty Hunter it's up to me. Same with Teknetics.
      HI BRAD, got a BH discovery 3300,a 4 inch coil, all up $358 inc. express freight. it took 3 weeks to arrive. more features than the tracker 4 and not available here as far as i can find. i would prefer to buy here in aus. but being on newstart, $,s are tight. again, $95 for a tracker 4 ex U.S. and $295 and up,  here? ow!!! :o sure, the cost of doing business i understand. hope it goes well for you. cheers.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used bh discovery 33oo, ace350,m/l 305. now tesoro compadre
  • Oldest find: 1923 sa football members badge,1902/5/6dog reg tags.1910 bottle,66 round 50 cent.1912 farthing.1927h/penny1857/81penny
HOT  DIGGERTY DIG

Offline danni333

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 18
    Fifth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 17:49 »
Hey there,
I own the BH tracker IV, and have been using it for about 6 months, iv found alot of pre decimal coins, old relics and jewellery.

I find it great to use, easy and accurate! :) Great detector for the price!!
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty Hunter IV Tracker
  • Oldest find: 1867 penny

Offline scratchinaround

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: a land of confusion.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 228

Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 01:14 »
Hey there,
I own the BH tracker IV, and have been using it for about 6 months, iv found alot of pre decimal coins, old relics and jewellery.

I find it great to use, easy and accurate! :) Great detector for the price!!
  hi danni, welcome to the forum. there,s a few people with  tracker 4,s on the forum,some have recently up-dated.they have done very well with them it seems. i have the discovery 3300, got it end of oct. 2011,my first. dunno if i,d recommend it tho.finds tiny foil etc 6-8 inches deep,discrim. not great, falses in night /damp air and ground balance not great.seems the tkr 4 is abetter and cheaper unit.time to upgrade i think. have fun, go well. cheers 8)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used bh discovery 33oo, ace350,m/l 305. now tesoro compadre
  • Oldest find: 1923 sa football members badge,1902/5/6dog reg tags.1910 bottle,66 round 50 cent.1912 farthing.1927h/penny1857/81penny

alimo88

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 13:27 »
Scratch, give me a call

08 93313730 (perth)

if you want to discuss BH

lynn27

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 20:12 »
Hi all ,just thought i'd chuck my 2cents worth in ,I have a bounty hunter iv ,my first detector and i'm more than happy with it's coin hunting prowess lol .It does have limitations in trashy areas  but more than makes up for it in good coin spots .Will upgrade one day but at the moment i'm having a lot of success with the "duke ".have named it lol .Partner has a bounty hunter lone star and I have trouble understanding all it's chatter so i usually put it back and opt for the bounty hunter .I detected my friends yard last week and pulled out 35 coins ,17 of them were predecimal including 4 silvers ,a top effort for any detector !! cheers lyn

exclamation
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV

Started by tailofdog on Bounty Hunter

14 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 22:19
by Tasrog
xx
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV falsing

Started by simonfcw on Bounty Hunter

4 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 21:43
by lynn27