collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  I bought a new detector - Review of GC1038 ebay special  (Read 10856 times)

Offline Ben78

• Silver

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Coffs Harbour
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 20
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
So, I read a lot of disdain for the ebay china-cheapie detectors. After having a play instore of Jaycar with their offering I have been on the lookout for a good deal on a cheap detector. The GC-1038 caught my eye as it carries 'Fisher Gold Bug' styling, and is the only cheapy to offer S rod with pins and twist-to-lock connector in the shaft. I also had a small hope that it was also a high frequency diamond in the rough...

So anyway, these GC1038's were available for $90.90 a while ago and then the prices went a little nuts, OzPlaza on ebay were selling them for a while at $249.90. Then Jack Lange got hold of them and you may have seen them in GG&T. I saw one sell secondhand on ebay for $115 +post and another for $140+post!

I sent an email to OzPlaza asking them why the price was so high when it used to be $90.90, they emailed me back saying there was an error in pricing and it would be corrected. It took them 4 weeks to 'correct' their error and they became available for $79.90 (?). Anyway, that was enough for me to say 'sure why not'

It arrived yesterday. Today I took the kids to a park to ride their bikes around for a couple of hours.
Well, we'll let the pic tell the story...

$10.85, not too shabby.
I set the disc using a $2 coin, wound it up till the $2 was gone then backed it off until the coin was clear signal. Disc was very effective except on large objects OR (this is the good part) on disc shaped objects.... Hence I picked up the coins lower than goldies in conductivity!

Now for the nerdy stuff
The internals aren't bad, all surface mount. I find it hilarious that they are protecting their IP by coating the MCU with wax.

The oscilliscope image is dissappointing. 5.6khz, I was really hoping China had discovered 20khz+ VLF but alas no.
That said, the GC1038 will detect a 0.2g nugget rubbed on the coil which I reckon is pretty decent.

The coil is a 10x5 concentric.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=19346.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Current: Explorer SE, China GC1038, GPX5000, Garret Pro Pointer Past: Teknetics T2, Whites TDI Pro Oz, Fisher Gold Bug Pro DP
  • Oldest find: 1889 English Penny, 300 million year old gold nugget
2014 Goal
Get back on my feet again.
GC1038 - $21.80 ($58.10)

Offline bush hunter

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: coonabarabran nsw
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 14
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: I bought a new detector - Review of GC1038 ebay special
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 19:01 »
impressive for the price a
  • Detector(s) owned/used: xterra705
  • Oldest find: 1885 penny

Offline john24gold

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: gold coast
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 23
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 19:03 »
Wow always wondered how well they went !
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab xterra 705, Garrett ace 250 , Garrett at pro, minelab ctx3030 , whites coin master
  • Oldest find: 2000BC Bronze Age terrot ring part..
Sent from my relic display case

LazyTrommel

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 19:28 »
The technology is simple, As above. I've always wondered if they actually work..

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544

• Total Badges: 22
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 19:35 »
I like the look of that one, might be okay for my young fella and free him from the weight of  the GT16000 he has been lugging around. 

I just checked ozplaza and it doesnt appear to have that model in stock, they have a couple of others (inc a digital display one) for around $100 but without knowing anyone with history with them I wouldnt buy.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

Offline Ben78

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

Fifth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 20:03 »
This is the listing for the one I bought

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261060705736

OzPlaza has had them pretty consistently for the last few months. They'll show up again.

Its very light and easy to swing fast. Didn't seem to miss anything even with a pretty wild swing speed. Ground Balance works but its hard to get used to - doesn't really work in the same fashion as other detectors I have had. The All Metal Mode has no threshold and no VCO so you on'y hear a beep as you pump the coil...
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Current: Explorer SE, China GC1038, GPX5000, Garret Pro Pointer Past: Teknetics T2, Whites TDI Pro Oz, Fisher Gold Bug Pro DP

Offline brianincnb

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Canberra ACT
    • http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbFqSkEjVt51a9MIRknxg8w
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2440

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 20:05 »
I brought one of the ozplaza ones for my nephews... they go for a scratch and enjoy it. for $100. Good on you for your review Ben78.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus, ctx3030,e-trac,x-terra 70/705,tesoro silver umax,atpro,ace250
  • Oldest find: 1862 Half Penny
Total spendables/pre-decs: doesn't really matter, as long as I'm out MDing!

Offline Ben78

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 20:22 »
Good on you for your review Ben78.

Thanks, newbies are always interested in the really cheap detectors. I've used quite a few detectors in the last 18 months and this cheapy doesn't beat any of them except for weight.

I think it would be a good choice if you were really skint and wanted to get a machine to see if you like the hobby but don't expect to be pulling florins at 12" with it.

Primary reason I wanted it was to do cashies in areas that see a lot of recent drops. Combined with a pinpointer it is going to be very effective at this. Interesting is it detected goldies, but straight over crown seals without a sound... This is the first detector I have had with a concentric coil so I am assuming that concentrics really do ID crown seals properly.

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544

Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 20:31 »
My Xterra 70 has no issues dodging crown seals with the std mono coil, but with the same settings the Coiltek Wot belts them out same tone and TID as $2 coins.  Thanks for the link, I'll keep it handy....I reckon it could be a good park machine backup, or as mentioned for my son (until I can get another x-terra for him).
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown

Offline Ben78

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 20:52 »
Ahh sweet, that'll be it then, WOT is DD and stock 705 coil is a concentric.

Offline land-lubber

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 19
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 09:43 »
yep. I actually much prefer the stock concentric on the 705. it runs quieter, deeper and super accurate with pinpoint (I often don't need the propointer when using this coil). I can dig much smaller holes when using the concentric compared to the DD. speeds up recovery a lot, means I spend less time F#$%ing around with targets, meaning I am more likely to dig trash 'just in case'  :o makes it the superior goldie cherry picker for parks.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: x-terra 705 dual, gold bug 2, garrett pro pointer
  • Oldest find: 1870 penny

Offline Ben78

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 18:48 »
Found my first Pre Decimals with the GC1038. Went to a cashie location that I have and found a penny... Which is weird because the site was sand dunes before the 80's and only turned to park area since the dunes were stabilised in a 'beautification' project in 83.

Anyway once the penny came out I thought bugger the cashie hunt and moved to my park that has produced the majority of my pre decimal finds.

Between two holes 18" apart I found the first threepence, a 1953 so I probably ignored it when the explorer went over it.
Was getting a bit of iron falsing as there is a LOT of rusted nails in this location. I think the 5x10 coil does a pretty good job of separating the targets.

So in the end I finished up with a dollar and 5 cents, 3 x threepence, a shilling and a penny. Pretty good I reckon. Actually enjoying using this little machine. Quiet as a mouse and isn't so sensitive as to be constantly beeping at flakes of foil...

Offline eljay

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: South East Nanango QLD
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4

• Total Badges: 25
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 19:05 »
Nice, most would be happy with that.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: X-TERRA 705, Garrett Propointer, Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Seahunter Mark II
  • Oldest find: 1873 English Bun Head Penny

Offline Skexis

• Silver

3.33%
    • I live in: Adl, SA
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6

Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 00:04 »
What did you use to clean the shiny ones with?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Current: Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Xterra 70, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ProPointer. Retired: Minelab Xterra 305, Tesoro Cibola.
  • Oldest find: 1916 Sixpence

Offline Ben78

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2013, 07:05 »
Just rubbed with bicarb. Sometimes the pre 45's need a bit of spit and aluminium foil to come up really good.

Offline raymondj

• Gold
  • Note to self-take battery off charger and bring

0%
    • I live in: South Coast NSW
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 19
    Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 09:25 »
...well you get what u pay for...and for a spare to have in the truck to use while the missus is doing the shopping you probable cant go wrong.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Own now: Garrett Infinium... AT Gold with a NEL Hunter coil...AT Pro International for the missus...Minelab GP3000 and Garrett Pro-Pointers.
  • Oldest find: 1757 George II Farthing
...its better to have it and not need it.... then to need it and not have it...

xx
Jack Lange Special

Started by 6666 on Other generic

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2014, 14:18
by 6666
xx
What detector ?

Started by Sskim on Other generic

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 21:55
by Smurf