collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  White's Can yeah.. stuff  (Read 3309 times)

LazyTrommel

White's Can yeah.. stuff
« on: August 04, 2013, 13:11 »
Well, I had some trouble with my GMT a few weeks back, one of the coils became really unstable overloading the machine if the gain was set above 3-4, Well now it's happening with every coil, the 14" 10" and 6".....  One by one they have all just quit working correctly...  So I'm thinking the detector is the problem..

So called White's explained the situation, and was told as it is not longer under warranty they could not and would not offer advice or repair the detector..
I was then told to speak with Gold Search Australia to purchase a new detector...

So long story short Screw white's...

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=20123.0
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 09:38 by LazyTrommel »

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: White's Can Suck it
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 13:31 »
So long story short Screw white's...

If that is the attitude and lack of service they provide, then fair enough.

If the item is out of warranty then fair enough as far as free repair or replacement, but at the very least they could have offered some insight into the problem you are having and the possibility of having it looked at (or referred to someone) for a fee to sort out your problem. 

To just assume you will want to go out and buy another one when they wont offer any support or referal (free or otherwise) on their existing machines is very shortsighted and quite frankly a bit of a joke when there are other options out there.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

Offline junker

• Platinum
  • You are not lost , if you dont care where you are

0%
    • I live in: Avoca Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3326

• Total Badges: 27
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 13:35 »
Gee that sucks  :( >:( >:(, I would have thought they would do repairs to their own products , looks like they are shooting themselves in the foot .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ExTerra 705 , GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1800's wax seal stamp, 1826 shilling , 1861 H/P.

LazyTrommel

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 14:42 »
I'll be giving them another call Monday/Tuesday.. Just can't believe they would offer no support, but the lady i spoke with was pretty much rude and i had the feeling she just wanted to get me off the phone..

I fully expected to pay for all repairs... But to not be offered the option.. Bit rough.

Offline Count Pierre

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411

• Total Badges: 35
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 14:44 »
That's weird, Lazy.

We read on the US Forums that people have sent back to Whites, out of warranty detectors &/or coils, which have been repaired or replaced for free.

They rave about how good Whites'  service is over there.

Funny, that!! :o ::) ::)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites DFX + 5 Coils ,Whites MX5
  • Oldest find: 1817 George 3 Shilling
If I can't handle it, I'll go & have a few beers, or a red wine....or both.... & go from there!

LazyTrommel

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 14:56 »
That's weird, Lazy.

We read on the US Forums that people have sent back to Whites, out of warranty detectors &/or coils, which have been repaired or replaced for free.

They rave about how good Whites'  service is over there.

Funny, that!! :o ::) ::)

Wonder if any were shipped back from Aus...  and if they dealt with the same Arrogant knob i did..

Offline Count Pierre

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 15:05 »
Ah....anti OZ?? :o :o

I know a contact name has been mentioned somewhere, so I'll try to find it.

Much better if you have a name. :)

Offline Count Pierre

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2013, 15:15 »
Just for a kick-off, Lazy, see this post on our Forum in the Whites section from OLD MATE, back in Sept. 3rd 2012..............I'll keep looking for a name.

... the positively first class service provided by Whites has left me struggling how best to express my gratitude. I have absolutely no reservations in recommending Whites to anyone who is thinking of using their equipment. I really do believe that their level of service carries tangible value when deciding how best to spend your dollars.

Some months ago now, I discovered to my disappointment that my Super 12 coil was in need of some repairs. After testing and minor repairs within Australia were unable to rectify the issue, the coil was returned to Whites USA. It’s an older coil and has seen quite a bit of use so I was definitely not expecting this email from Whites:

“Please see attachment for a copy of your invoice. We are replacing your coil under warranty (no charge) and it will ship out directly to you today 8/7/12.
If I can be of further assistance please let me know.”

To the team at Whites – Thankyou.

The DFX has turned out to be one of the best choices I’ve made in a long time. I am one very happy customer. Best regards,

OM.

LazyTrommel

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 16:54 »
Well, that gives me hope... I'll make some calls in the morning...   Might try the guys at gold search as they are the aus dealer.

Offline raymondj

• Gold
  • Note to self-take battery off charger and bring

0%
    • I live in: South Coast NSW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 19
    Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 17:10 »
gee mate u having a bad run with detectors lately..having to sell the 5K and now this...Ask to speak with Tony Mills at Gold Search in Dunolly  (03) 5468 1877.  If anyone can help u he will.  I got rid of my GMT...didnt like it, was to seventies.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 17:34 by raymondj »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Own now: Garrett Infinium... AT Gold with a NEL Hunter coil...AT Pro International for the missus...Minelab GP3000 and Garrett Pro-Pointers.
  • Oldest find: 1757 George II Farthing
...its better to have it and not need it.... then to need it and not have it...

Offline Vegemite

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 136

• Total Badges: 29
    Seventh year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 17:29 »
Very hard to believe... In fact have emailed the Repair Dept at Whites recently about a problem I was having with the V3i and a lovely lady replied explaining how to open the pod so I could check the ,cable connections to the board where a pin connector had come adrift.

Also see link below...

http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php/topic,12697.0.html

V.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites MXT, ML Excalibur 1K
  • Oldest find: Gothic Florin 1851 / 1923 Half Penny
Say NO to foreign landlords!!

Offline stone

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: Sutherland Shire
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3

• Total Badges: 21
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 17:29 »
I would def try again... going over that woman's head.
Most brands do what ever it takes to avoid disgruntled customers.

• Detector(s) owned/used: garrett ace 250/ At Pro
Oldest find: 1912 Three pence

tonyw

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 17:35 »
gee mate u having a bad run with detectors lately..having to sell the 5K and now this...Ask to speak with Tony Mills at Gold Search in Dunolly  (03) 5468 1877.  If anyone can help u he will.  I got rid of my GMT...didnt like it, was to seventies.

Tony doesnt have Gold Search anymore, but the new owner would be more than helpful, genuine nice bloke.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 947

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 18:21 »
I had made a link and was going to post it to the new owner tomorrow but you are better to talk in person. The shop may not be open Monday,ring and find out.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

LazyTrommel

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 18:57 »
Shall get on to them, see what can be done... Got a GP 3000 on the way from Dallas TX so if it turns out white's can't help, I'll live.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
Re: White's Can yeah.. stuff
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 10:12 »
LazyT has sent an email to Paul who has responded. Paul at Goldsearch Australia has the detector circuit boards in stock if it happened that it wasn't faulty coils.

LazyTrommel

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 10:48 »
Indeed, got a reply this morning..

"Yes we do repair all modern Whites detectors. The problem you are having is usually the coil and the coil can be fine when the weather is cool and when the coil heats up it gives “Bad Ground Reduce Gain”. This is because the null is shifting in the coil and at this stage the coil can’t be fixed but can be replaced. More than happy to help."

Explains why one coil failed, but why 2 within 2 months?... Damned annoying really...

I wonder could the detector be having ill effects on the coils?..  Either way as Rwork said, the circuit board is in stock...   Rwork, got a price on that board? lol..

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 13:40 »
Contact the helpfull man at Dunolly.

LazyTrommel

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 14:08 »
I did, lol.. I'll probably arrange to ship the detector over to them in the next week or so, for testing/repairs..

Offline 6666

• Silver
  • Location, Melbourne, where a dingo ate my finds

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 23
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 00:39 »
Lazy what was the end result of your problem ?
thanks
  • Detector(s) owned/used: My first Whites 1975, various others
  • Oldest find: 1836 Three pence
Aint found a half penny or penny yet, Remember the best discriminator is your digging tool.

xx
Thank You White's

Started by Vegemite on Whites

0 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 18:42
by Vegemite
xx
White's new Coinmaster

Started by werewolf on Whites

0 Replies
Last post December 03, 2009, 09:00
by werewolf
xx
White's MX5 maiden run

Started by tony on Whites

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2017, 00:37
by tony
xx
2012 White's calendar

1 Replies
Last post October 21, 2011, 08:39
by Ecto1
xx
White's V3i Advanced Settings

2 Replies
Last post November 09, 2011, 10:07
by 6666
xx
White's Surfmaster PI (original, not the Pro version)

Started by Looking Man on Whites

5 Replies
Last post December 11, 2014, 21:41
by Looking Man

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam