collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  GMT or SGT or SST? help pls  (Read 2946 times)

Offline pommyabroad

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Bendigo, vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 10
    Badges: (View All)
    Fourth year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
GMT or SGT or SST? help pls
« on: August 30, 2013, 19:20 »
HI I just wanted to get some info from any users of either of these machines. Basically I am looking to get a gold machine, the GMT seems to come highly recommended on this forum and others. It is really at the top end of my budget though. Whilst the SGT and SST is around half price and I'm not really clear on the on differences. does anybody have any of these machines, what can info can you pass on? or have any of you considered either of these machines and what decisions did you come to.

Additionally although primarily I want this detector for hunting gold in the goldfields, I would love to hit a few beaches along my travels would any of these detectors be able to work the beaches too?

thanks in advance

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=20553.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sov Gt, Whites GMT, GPX5000

LazyTrommel

Re: GMT or SGT or SST? help pls
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 16:18 »
GMT is by far one of the best VLF gold machines on the market... However It will go ape **** on the beach (not recommended for beach work) nor the SGT...

SST would probably balance in the sand... Not sure though, no experience with the SST myself...

I highly recommend the GMT... Maybe buy a 2nd machine for beach hunting..

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 20
    Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 15:44 »
I don't know much about the SSt other than Whites donot recomend it for gold field detecting.
It is rated as a beach, coin & relic metal detector.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Offline pommyabroad

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

Fourth year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 19:16 »
damn you guys have got some detectors in your armory! you make my 2nd detector purchase look like childs-play! thank you both for your advice, I guess I should hold on to my sov GT for the beaches and get the GMT for the goldfields the missus won't be happy, but then again she never is :) thanks again

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 20
    Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 21:32 »
The Sov GT is in my feeble opinion the best saltwater beach discriminating detector on the planet short of going PI.
       I have not used the GMT but I do have an old GM V-Sat and it is pretty good but needs carefull fiddling to get it to work in highly iron mineralised ground.
     So you need to find out how well the GMT can Ground balance our gold field ground minerals before you lash out and purchase.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Offline pommyabroad

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 22:03 »
Thanks adrian ss, yes i agree with the SOV thats what everyone else said thats why i brought it, but i thought that it would find me gold in the goldfields out here but i've since learnt that it will only find me relics. So my hand has been forced into buying a reasonably priced out and out gold detector hence the GMT. I got the missus an AT gold so she can start to learn the ropes, but I want something a little more advanced for myself. Can anyone reccomend a good place to purchase a GMT from? Although i'd rather not by from the states i'm starting to think that this maybe the cheapest option. Additionally since i don't permanantly live in australia the warranty factor doesn't really apply to me. what do you guys think.

thanks rhine

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything