collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  MY NEW GMT HAS ARRIVED.  (Read 6356 times)

Offline ROSCOEB

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: COOKTOWN QUEENSLAND
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 14
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
MY NEW GMT HAS ARRIVED.
« on: October 21, 2013, 16:57 »
I have just received my new Whites GMT in the post today. I have put it all together, but i haven't tried it out yet. I narrowed my choice down to the GMT or Gold bug 11. I picked the GMT because of the v-sat control and auto tracing. I just want to say, that the fellows at Goldsearch and Aussie detecting were good to talk to and were pleasant to deal with. I want the GMT for small gold in old diggings and bed rock crevices etc. I see this machine has a loyal following here and in the US. I think that a few people on this forum have had some good success with their GMT. Anyway i will see how it goes...Roscoe

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=21407.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GARRETT & MINELAB
  • Oldest find: OLD CHINESE COIN

Offline Boot Tack

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: CQ
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 284

• Total Badges: 22
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: MY NEW GMT HAS ARRIVED.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, 17:08 »
Be assured, several years back at a get together in Clermont, JP turned up to give a chat, most prospectors where swinging the ML GP series detectors but one couple had the GMT and felt discouraged,  JP said the GMT was more than capable and said give him 5 mins and he would pull a nugget.  3 mins into the chase and he was digging, all be it small, it was still gold. 

• Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030 and most Minelab detectors
  • Oldest find: 1852 Penny

Offline ROSCOEB

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: COOKTOWN QUEENSLAND
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 14
    Fifth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 20:15 »
Thanks Boot tack, i would of like to of seen that. I gave the GMT a run this afternoon in the top of my block. Its rainforest with rich red basalt soil and the soil together with the tree roots, leaf mulch make the soil highly variable. Its a good test ground. I know that there is small bird shot in that forest, i shot it in their myself. I tried for hours and hours several times to find a pellet with my x-terra 705 but i still haven't found a pellet. Well today with the GMT after an hour of searching i found a pellet. I had to run the gain on about 6 and v-sat on about 8 to stabilize the machine. So far so good now the big test on the old workings...Roscoe
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 20:17 by ROSCOEB »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GARRETT & MINELAB
  • Oldest find: OLD CHINESE COIN

Offline 6666

• Silver
  • Location, Melbourne, where a dingo ate my finds

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 23
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 18:43 »
Boot tack could you hear the threshold of that GMT as he was searching or was he wearing headphones ?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: My first Whites 1975, various others
  • Oldest find: 1836 Three pence
Aint found a half penny or penny yet, Remember the best discriminator is your digging tool.

Offline Boot Tack

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: CQ
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 284

• Total Badges: 22
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 19:56 »
Yes I could hear the threshold, when JP ran over a target it sounded a tad like Trev "Quack Quack" never realized this until I joined this forum. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030 and most Minelab detectors
  • Oldest find: 1852 Penny

Offline pommyabroad

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Bendigo, vic
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 10
    Fourth year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 21:41 »
anymore joy with your GMT ROSCOEB?

I had a little trouble with mine today, taking it out for the first time, couldn't really get the threshold to stay nice and smooth and so was struggling to pick a test piece of lead shot on the surface any higher than about an two inches. It put a little dent in my confidence as I thought that the GMT was supposed to be really hot on the tiny grams. Anyway had another read of the manual and another watch of the dvd and I'll give it another bash tomorrow. thinking that maybe I shuld have reduced the gain a little bit more and also up the vsat a notch or two. Only reason I didn't was because I thought that if I can't even pick up a lead shot from two inches how the hell am I going to find a smaller flake of gold at any depth below that.

rhine
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sov Gt, Whites GMT, GPX5000

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 949

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 17:08 »
Also Rhine,lead makes more noise than gold of the same size. I sent a Nsw newsletter today in case you ended up on their goldfields.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline pommyabroad

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

Fourth year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 20:23 »
thanks rwork, I ended up purchasing a small .2g goldflake from a shop, so I can get some more realistic testing done, tis hard work this goldmalarkey!

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 20
    Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 17:21 »
The GMT will certainly respond to a 0.2g nugg but not in ground that the detector will not ground balance properly.
In air I would expect a 0.2 bit to detect out to 6 inches but in hot ground that will not ground balance? Not a chance.

You might get it on the surface if the gb is only just at the limit but if the gb is overloaded and the detector is going hard positive or negative than no way will it get a 0.2g. no matter what gain or Sat level. If you can hold the coil at a height above the ground that holds a steady threshold  then you may nab a 1.5ger resting on the surface of hot ground.

Just an opinion from my exp with the VSats
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 17:31 »
Rhine is checking out later model Minelabs.At least with one he will be able to work the hot ground that most gold is found in.
Bpc has a 4500 rhine that you can borrow on our next outing if no other visitors are using it.

Offline pommyabroad

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 09:24 »
Thanks Adrian, that is sort of good to hear cos I have been getting frustrated trying to figure this detector out. I have be testing the 0.2g piece in hot ground and your right so far even on the surface, I am only getting a response at the point the nugget and coil are practically touching. There is a faint response at maybe an inch anything above that and the response is impossible to identify. Even playing with the gain, vsat and threshold I can get better responses over the nugget but moving over the ground is also giving false signals so identifying a gold signal is practically impossible. Additionally hot rocks are killing me, I brought the shooter coil to try and help with this problem and its possibly worse than the standard coil. Overall im sure this detector has its place in finding gold maybe in dry shallow creeks but in terms of bendigo diggings it was probably twenty years ago before the gpx's and probably not in really hot ground, unless like you said the nuggets are surface targets. I guess i'm just a little pissed off that I believed all the spiel on the whites website (and other makes) that you read when looking up detectors. Ultimately I feel its false advertising and for someone like me who is on a budget I feel like I may have wasted my time and money. I will keep trying and try and hold out for a 1.5gramer or bigger that's sitting on the surface. I guess i'm wishing that I had gone P.I   >:(

Thanks Rwork for the offer, I would definitely be interested to see what its like to swing a gpx, although Im not sure if I could afford such a beast.

Offline goldpick

• Gold

36.67%
    • I live in: South East, South Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 516

• Total Badges: 19
    Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 12:42 »
There has got to be something wrong with that detector, my Goldmaster2, some 20 years old, manages to pick up fine lead shot several inches down, and in areas with abundant hot rocks.  The hot rocks tend to give quite a different signal to genuine targets like lead and gold, more of a broad signal that will disappear as the coil is lifted away from the rock.  The lead targets can still be heard with a distinct sharp zip, even with the coil off the ground.  My GM2 screams when put anywhere near my 0.34gm test nugget, so I suspect your machine being the latest model with the same high frequency, should able to match i, if not do better than my detector - something is amiss.

I'd be getting it checked out for dodgy solderings, wiring etc, especially if it is giving off false signals all the time - could be some something to do with the connector plug for the coil cable considering you have tried different coils/cables.  Someone else mentioned on another forum the some of the soldering joins on the White were not the best from the factory, necessitating repairs to the plug wiring, he also owned a GMT. ;)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use: XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites SPP, XP Mi-6, Garrett AT Propointer, Minelab Pro-find, Whites TRX, Deteknix X-Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1806/7 KG3 HP's, penny, shilling & threepence

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
  • Liked:

Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 08:38 »
I am a bit of a fan of Whites detectors and have owned several, still have 3 and the VSat has been  good for me but there is no doubt that if the ground cannot be balanced well you will lose gold even using a fast Sat and low gain or anything in between if the gold does not create a signal that is stronger than the threshold and ground noise.

Where the ground can be balanced then the GMT and the old VSats are great.
The VSats struggled with Aussie ground in many places but still managed to clean out a lot of fine gold that other detectors could not respond to.

I found the shooter coil to be nice in hot ground but not fantastic and by hot ground I mean ground that will balance somewhere between 9 and 10 on a GB scale of one to ten on a normal GB VLF detector, but once the ground cracked the 10 range I was loosing response to small gold although with a bit of practice at maintaining a constant coil hight  then that zip zip sound from the nuggs may break through.

Since owning the Gold Bug (Standard digital with auto GB only) I concider this detector to be far superior to the VSats and has GB range that covers salt through to high iron minerals that stopped the Vsat but in realy tough ground even the gold bug  has trouble.

Your GMT may be acting up a bit as suggested and I would have expected that machine to be at least as good as the digital  Gold Bug (Std) and also comparing the GMT to the VSat is probably not a fair comparison due to the age and technology  differences.

Having said that, one fact remains and that is if the detector cannot balance the ground you are searching then it will miss some gold at all levels from small shallow to large and deep.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 09:11 »
Thanks Adrian, that is sort of good to hear cos I have been getting frustrated trying to figure this detector out. I have be testing the 0.2g piece in hot ground and your right so far even on the surface, I am only getting a response at the point the nugget and coil are practically touching. There is a faint response at maybe an inch anything above that and the response is impossible to identify. Even playing with the gain, vsat and threshold I can get better responses over the nugget but moving over the ground is also giving false signals so identifying a gold signal is practically impossible. Additionally hot rocks are killing me, I brought the shooter coil to try and help with this problem and its possibly worse than the standard coil. Overall im sure this detector has its place in finding gold maybe in dry shallow creeks but in terms of bendigo diggings it was probably twenty years ago before the gpx's and probably not in really hot ground, unless like you said the nuggets are surface targets. I guess i'm just a little pissed off that I believed all the spiel on the whites website (and other makes) that you read when looking up detectors. Ultimately I feel its false advertising and for someone like me who is on a budget I feel like I may have wasted my time and money. I will keep trying and try and hold out for a 1.5gramer or bigger that's sitting on the surface. I guess i'm wishing that I had gone P.I   >:(

Thanks Rwork for the offer, I would definitely be interested to see what its like to swing a gpx, although Im not sure if I could afford such a beast.

Have a look at the video here. http://www.goldsearchaustralia.com/index.php/our-products/whites-detectors/gmt.html
 Watch it all the way through there are several clips that continue on from each other and give a good idea of how to use the GMT

Offline goldpick

• Gold

36.67%
  • Liked:

Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 00:59 »
Very good & informative video clip minus the usual marketing crap too.  Lots of hints there that could also apply to other VLF detectors.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use: XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites SPP, XP Mi-6, Garrett AT Propointer, Minelab Pro-find, Whites TRX, Deteknix X-Pointer

Offline pommyabroad

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 16:05 »
I feel like I have been a bit hasty to write off the GMT, I have only been swinging it for just over a week now, still no gold. But I have spoken to quite a few different people and they have suggested a thing or two. Basically the GMT has its place in gold detecting that is in junky areas or quartz territory and maybe the occasional mullock heap. But other than that your talking PI territory and if that's the case it will fall short everytime since most shallow targets will have been cleaned up. I think I most certainly have been looking in wrong places namely highly flogged and common areas such as the diggings. I'm trying to move away from the diggings and try new looking areas and also try to chase quartz bearing reefs, Still no luck. I don't think there is anything wrong with my GMT, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to have it electronically tested with goldsearchaustralia. Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it.

Offline goldpick

• Gold

36.67%
  • Liked:

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 19:46 »
From the video clip, it looks to be an excellent VLF detector with every conceivable function you could possibly fit on a machine.  Like most VLF's, they have a time and place in the goldfields, and a lot of experience is require to pick out those good signals regardless of how good the detector is, and that includes PI machines.  I'm yet to find gold, but I believe I am doing everything right with regards to setting my detector up, and the proof is in some of the minute pieces of lead I keep picking up.  Regardless, I battle on knowing the detector is capable of finding gold, just need suitable ground and to look in the correct areas that my detector will have the best  possible chance of finding something.

It's great seeing you tube clips of people finding gold on both PI and VLF detectors, but what you don't see is the ratio of junk/iron targets compared to gold excavated during hunts.  If you knew, it might put a better perspective on how hard it is to get that first nugget, and how long it actually takes to get to that stage.  Many propectors takes months if not years to fully understand their detectors inside and out, and what to look and listen for. :)

Offline pommyabroad

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2013, 17:50 »
I agree, and being from the UK I had never even heard of ground balance or threshold before I came to oz. We have it lucky over in England when it comes to soil conditions but then we don't have any natural gold. I have been getting better even over the last week or two actually on the goldfields, targets are getting smaller and less ferrous, recovery time has improved tenfold. The problem I have is that I've lost a bit of confidence in my machine and that mixed with the tough conditions in which gold is found is getting the better of me, a bit. I really enjoying prospecting at home and i'm sure given enough time I'll get the hang of it here. 

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2013, 21:48 »
Donot blame the detector sport, it is not a ground balancing PI but it is a very good ground balancing vlf and can and will find gold for you. Don't jump in at the deep end of the pool fist try. Go to where gold was found close to the surface, poke around the mullock heaps where the gold was in leads about 10 to 30 feet deep. Listen for the very quiet signals not the big boomers but donot ignore them either.  Small gold can give amazingly quiet mellow tones even in a high frequency machine like the GMT.and can sometimes sound like a bit of iron if you have the disc on. Even in the All metal mode a small bit of gold can give an indication of iron on the TID. and steer clear of the extreme iron mineralised areas for a while until you get the hang of the detector. Do a bit of coin hunting, that will keep you interested because coins and jewelery is everywhere. At least you will be finding something and that will keep the fires burning.

Practice with some split shot sinkers on and in hot ground, or wherever you are searching at the time, they are tricky to find but if you can get your detector to find them you will have worked out how to use your machine.

The Sat, Gain, Vol and Ground grab and balance is there for a reason and it is up to you to work out the right settings for your ground.

Setting the Sat and the gain on the GMT is a bit like adjusting a carby idle and mixture settings on a race motorbike One effects the other and you have to find the right combination  to get the bike running on song. So it is with a high end metal detector like the GMT. She can be cantankerous but when set right and you have got your ear tuned to it it'l purr like a kitten..............For your ears only.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 21:49 by Adrian ss »

Offline pommyabroad

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 08:58 »
 :D found my first piece of gold!!!!! Will post a pic soon! I can't believe it but the bloody gmt works! Would you believe it but the day I decided to to buy a gpx the old gmt pulls it out the bag! So pleased I finally found some

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 20:39 »
I heard you had purchased a new 5000, you can alter your forum profile now. Follow Barney around if you want to find gold. :)

Offline lex utopia

• Gold

20%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 109

Fifth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 09:58 »
Take no notice of what Rwork said  :)Barney leaves no GOLD behind I can assure you ::) ::)   Lex 

Offline goldpick

• Gold

36.67%
  • Liked:

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2013, 23:08 »
Eell done, persistence pays off in the end.  How small was it? ;)

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything