collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  F1A4 Modified on Ebay.  (Read 14135 times)

Offline Marruss

• Iron

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Margaret River W.A
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 9
    Badges: (View All)
    Fourth year Anniversary First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
F1A4 Modified on Ebay.
« on: November 08, 2013, 09:10 »
Anyone know anything good or bad about these?

This is the Ebay store. He has stage 1 and 2?

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Goldhunter-Detectors?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=21637.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: White 6DBH, White 5D
  • Oldest find: Nil

Offline gullygabe

• Iron

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

Fourth year Anniversary First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: F1A4 Modified on Ebay.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 18:10 »
Im interested to know as well.
One bad thing I read was the coil is NOT interchangeable.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GMT, SD2100, garrett, xt1700

Offline Marruss

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: Margaret River W.A
  • Liked:

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 19:00 »
Im interested to know as well.
One bad thing I read was the coil is NOT interchangeable.

Seems that part of the modifications take care of that. You can pick up a base model ex Army surplus for about $500. They want around $1,700 and $2,300 on the website for their stage 1 and 2 modified ones. Just don't know if it is worth it vs a second hand extreme.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: White 6DBH, White 5D
  • Oldest find: Nil

LazyTrommel

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 22:51 »
I actually own an  F1A4' picked it up for $399

They're quite effective after the mod  tho that isn't why I bought mine, other than adding a gb button mine is stock, it'll ping a .20 gram bit of gold at an inch or 2, capable but hardly on par with the big boy machines..

I wouldn't mind modding mine and adding the standard ML coil connector.. Though it's probably not with the time or money..

Either way they're a bit of fun..

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 20
    Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 07:41 »
Anyone know anything good or bad about these?

This is the Ebay store. He has stage 1 and 2?

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Goldhunter-Detectors?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Jack Lang is not a con artist you blokes and he doesn't bite,   You could just give him a call and ask about the tector mods or have a look in the Jan/Feb  AGG&T
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 12:41 by Adrian ss »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Offline ken625

• Gold

0%
    • I live in: melbourne
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 55

• Total Badges: 22
    Fifth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ell cheapo chinesse detector, bounty hunter IV, garret pro pointer , at pro,pro find,deus
  • Oldest find: 1875 shilling

Offline Boot Tack

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: CQ
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 284

• Total Badges: 22
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 08:57 »
I used to deal with Jack a lot before he sold his store and moved up north Queensland way.  He is very easy to get a long with and very helpful.

• Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030 and most Minelab detectors
  • Oldest find: 1852 Penny

LazyTrommel

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 01:07 »
 Little update on my F1A4.. I've done a few "minor tweaks"   Coil connector, headphone jack, wired in the "yellow wire" (anyone who owns one will know what i'm talking about) to a toggle switch for an audio boost, which is quite effective.

Added a GB button to the handle, added a port for an external speaker (since the internal one is crap tastic) had to add an LM386 amp to it, all works quite nicely...

Whacked a 12x4" PM coil on it for the tiny bits it'll ping off a .05 bit at about 2-3cm... Not too shabby, Not that the stock coil is in anyway bad, it'll ping a.15g bit at 4-5cm...

Friend in QLD hit a 11 gram nugget with one of these stock machines swears up and down it was at 16-18cm..  I've seen pictures of the gold, but not the hole :P

Anyway If you're looking to get into the PI market *on a budget* Just do it!..  Check out ebay (Oz Machinery) Joel, he's a great bloke..

ps, the mods I did were very easy, anyone with some experience with a soldering iron, hot glue gun and electronics should have no problem..

the F1A4 level 2 manual is on google, all the pin outs etc... though nothing you can't work out given a few minutes glued to the screens of your multimeter/oscilloscope..

- LT

Offline OZDigger

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Nundle NSW
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 10
    Fourth year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 08:44 »
Where do you think the F1A4 sits when compared to other Minelabs and other PI machines such as the Infinium, ATX and TDI?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: none
  • Oldest find: none

LazyTrommel

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 16:49 »
Its far more sensitive than the Infinium, and TDI (though i love my TDI Oz) It falls behind....  I would say its on par with the SD 2200D - v2... with the recent addition of 2 extra frequency crystals, and variable gain, it eclipses my GP3000 on sensitivity and depth with a larger coil..

As for the Un-modified detector, It is on par with any of the SD Series machines... its ground balance blows the living crap out of the 2200 "tracking" no noise! at all.. ever... unless you operate it within 5 meters of another machine, then it'll give a bit of a wobble..

If you can get one at the right price, they are worth the spend, I bought 3 of these units from Oz Machinery (ebay store) great bloke, paid $549 each..

Great machine if you just want to switch on and go, the 8" stock coil is a beast, but after the coil mod it'll take any mono coil on the market, the nugget i picked up last weekend was with a 12" NF mono..

Its a bit heavy though, 4kg..

Put it this way, with the minor mods mentioned above (coil connector, button for GB, and headphone jack) Its a far better buy than any SD..  cheaper too, for some reason people continue to pay $1000+ for SD 2000, $1200-15000 for SD 2100, and $2000 for 2200D /v2...  Pretty much insanity when something like this is available and will do the same job..

anyway Just my opinions and thoughts...

Take it easy.
- LT

Offline OZDigger

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Nundle NSW
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 10
    Fourth year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 18:14 »
Thanks for the considered and in depth answer.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: none
  • Oldest find: none

Offline ray.m

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: Western Riverina, NSW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 230

Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2014, 18:03 »
Minelab indicate an interesting detection field for the stock 8" coil, given that (I think) the coil is a mono.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Ace 250, AT Pro (US), SDC2300, GPX4500

LazyTrommel

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2014, 18:51 »
Minelab indicate an interesting detection field for the stock 8" coil, given that (I think) the coil is a mono.

The coil is indeed a mono, as i rewired the plugs on about 4 of these units so far... From my experience with the F1 i would say the detection field is close to if on spot on as described.

I've done multiple tests "air mind you" with a 1.5g nugget detected at 15cm  it is picked up at the same depth on the edge of the field as it is to the center of the field.  very minimal depth is gained by passing the nugget over the center of the field, maybe 1 1/2 cm to 2cm at most..

though I would say the difference isn't as extreme as the above image depicts.

Either way buy one and find out :) they're fun..

Offline ray.m

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 19:59 »
Just waiting for the the postman to drop 1 off ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LazyTrommel

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2014, 22:15 »
Just waiting for the the postman to drop 1 off ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, pro tip, don't expect it to be a 3500 lol.. Stock coil is by far the best most sensitive (as would be expected) the ML 11 mono and 12" NF mono coils are a very close 2nd..

Oh and its heavy as cast iron balls.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 00:24 by LazyTrommel »

LazyTrommel

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 15:33 »
machine i just added a GB button to, sold and headed to QLD tomorrow morning lol..  

Went a little overboard with the hot glue, but because its a non shielded 3.5mm port..

Offline ray.m

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 20:33 »
Thanks for the pics LT

Offline kris42

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: melbourne victoria
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

Fifth year Anniversary First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 16:18 »
LT whats this yellow wire you are talking about for audio boost?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: sd2000m whites surfmaster, whites pi1000, xtera70
  • Oldest find: chinese coins 1600/1700`s

LazyTrommel

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 18:40 »
LT whats this yellow wire you are talking about for audio boost?

The yellow wire is for an "optional" shoulder speaker.. It just pushes a little more mA gives you an "audio boost" if you will..

Offline jasondavis

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: Perth
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 5
    Third year Anniversary First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 12:27 »
Hi there,

I also have a F1A4 and am fumbling my way through some of the mods.  Have done coil plug, headphone, GB button but now onto the more difficult ones (for me)!

I heard that the stock machine had two additional frequencies that you could "unlock", but I can only see one crystal on the board.  I therefore assume that to add pulse frequencies, you need to wire in additional crystals?  Instead of crystals, could you use this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201074680343?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 to get variable pulse rates? 

Cheers
  • Detector(s) owned/used: f1a4
  • Oldest find: old

LazyTrommel

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 19:16 »
Hi there,

I also have a F1A4 and am fumbling my way through some of the mods. Have done coil plug, headphone, GB button but now onto the more difficult ones (for me)!

I heard that the stock machine had two additional frequencies that you could "unlock", but I can only see one crystal on the board. I therefore assume that to add pulse frequencies, you need to wire in additional crystals? Instead of crystals, could you use this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/201074680343?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 to get variable pulse rates?

Cheers

No, the linked oscillator isn't what you're looking for.. what you would want would be actual crystals, 2.45Mhz and 3.0Mhz (for instance) proven performers.

You would then remove the existing crystal, find yourself a good 2 pole 4 position switch, solder all 3 crystals to a perf board cut to size, then wire everything up so as each position on the switch "hot wires" the next crystal in series..

http://www.digikey.com.au/product-detail/en/ECS-30-S-1X/X973-ND/827465
http://www.digikey.com.au/product-detail/en/ECS-24-32-1X/X1002-ND/827494

These should do the job.

Its a big mod for a rather minor increase in performance, that said, the 3.0Mhz setting gives a nice performance boost on small gold, though the stock machine is fairly decent as it is..

Also, NO the stock machines do not have unlock-able frequencies as you pointed out they only have the single crystal..
It isn't a difficult job. however be sure you have test equipment and a decent soldering iron... (Oscilloscope, or multimeter capable of reading Mhz frequencies)

Anywho, doesn't hurt to try (unless you bork it) then it'll cost you a new unit lol..
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 23:24 by LazyTrommel »

Offline jasondavis

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 08:19 »
Thankyou LT for the informative reply.

I took the white paint off the crystal and the markings on the crystal was 4.000N; at least I think, was hard to tell exactly as the marketing came off with the paint!  I googled the the nomenclature for crystals and it seems the standard is to just mark the frequency on the component, so not sure why it has a 4?  Any ideas?

I want to use this on my drag coil, so will be putting a 1Mhz in; will be interesting to see the effect.

LazyTrommel

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 10:43 »
Won't hurt to try, I've been considering doing the same thing on my 2nd unit.. though I believe I will just install the additional crystals.

Offline jasondavis

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 10:47 »
What does the stock crystal clock at?

I just ordered a new multimeter with Mhz range; hasn't arrived yet.

Offline kris42

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: melbourne victoria
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

Fifth year Anniversary First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 10:55 »
LT I see the battery socket has six wires don`t what these are all for ?? is it ok to 
connect  an external 6 volt battery to just A+ and D- or would this cause a problem.
kris
  • Detector(s) owned/used: sd2000m whites surfmaster, whites pi1000, xtera70
  • Oldest find: chinese coins 1600/1700`s

xx
F1A4 D.I.Y. modifications.

Started by axtyr on Minelab

1 Replies
Last post October 11, 2014, 15:29
by Rwork
xx
Which to go,a type of the F3 or a modded F1A4?

Started by Bower bird on Minelab

9 Replies
Last post October 22, 2014, 16:13
by Bower bird
xx
Equinox eBay

Started by ivanll on Minelab

2 Replies
Last post March 07, 2018, 20:59
by commodore1979
xx
fake gpx5000 ebay