collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  15 months for the pro-Find  (Read 7523 times)

Offline john24gold

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: gold coast
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: 15 months for the pro-Find
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2014, 08:32 »
Doesn't really matter which pointer you have ... All of the top brands start falsing after a while , the battery if it is cheap or going flat also affects the pointer ... I am still trailing the new xpointer , so this one is still up in the air .... But all of the major brands will false no matter the claims ... Some will last longer than others ... Some will false straight out of the box .... If it's falsing send it back and buy a spare so u can just send them back for repair or replacement  without not having one ... This is best idea ..

From the relic case
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab xterra 705, Garrett ace 250 , Garrett at pro, minelab ctx3030 , whites coin master
  • Oldest find: 2000BC Bronze Age terrot ring part..
Sent from my relic display case

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

26.67%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1708

• Total Badges: 21
    Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2014, 09:18 »
Remember Batteries are not all the same...  And I do not just mean in Voltage/Current capacity/Stability....
They also come in sizes that can vary by up to 2mm in hight and with.  

So what does this mean.....
I have seen many where people have added packing to the cap..  A short term workaround that can actually make things worse and cause all sorts of funny / strange problems...

WHY
Other than the Xpointer, the others seem to delight in using a rivet process to attach the Battery terminals to the board.. And of a important note; they also do not always use enough, and in some cases any solder on these two critical joins.
This means that over time these joints can act like dry joints and cause you all sorts of problems..
Further more the Battery terminals are often made from a lighter gauge material...
Outcome:
Extra packing and longer batteries can and do compress the contacts and they loose spring tension AS WELL as causing issues at the join to the board..
NOTE:  
I have repaired and service a few of the Garrett and in most cases; I can get them tuned, fixed and make significant changes to improve their water resistance; while still having the unit look standard. Including some minor improvements to the faulting.

ML Pro is sort of Bawhaaaaa   Return to ML for swap out....  It can be worked on but takes time and also requires the whole probe point to be cut open...  You can not even change a broken switch... The internals are glued in but will still false in time.
Whites and Nokta I have yet to get my hands on, where I can strip down and have close hands on...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:20 by AngerManagement »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

26.67%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1708

• Total Badges: 21
    Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 10:19 »
As to Pin Pointers Falsing...

With any luck the changes to the Xpointer should minimise this and it may never happen..
From a Quality point, the cause can be determined and a fix implemented...  But if it is not seen by the manufacturer as a major impost to sales... The changes needed may not be seen as worth the effort.
From stripping and inspecting, I believe I understand why...  But I don't have the resources to test and destroy a number of pin pointers to prove a point...  However, I do my best to modify those I service AND have high expectations of the Xpointer, due to the changes they have implemented..
However, the way users manage and look after their equipment will also play a part... Drop a Garrett / ML Pro or even an Xpointer from 1M onto a hard surface and tip first; AND  some stresses will impact on the wiring and cct. The Garrett will be the worse affected.

Water ingress is a big issue for the Garret and ML pro pointer as I have observed/understand it...  I can fix the Garrett, the Xpointer should be OK, as it was part of the design process... ML Pro .... Forget it without major intervention...
However one mus also be aware;  Water resistant Vs  Water proof Vs Submergible is all subject to  IP standards and I would suggest the Garrett is not in the running from new IP60 or IP61 under the right conditions... 

IP64/5 for the ML Pro at best...  

IP66/66k/67 if not 68 (but it also comes back to the USER and if the Xpointer is at rest or having buttons pressed).

Whites and Others, I have no first hand experience...
  • Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME

clip
minelab pro find 25

Started by beepn on Minelab

31 Replies
Last post August 01, 2012, 21:03
by SWEEPER
xx
Go Find info

Started by Rwork on Minelab

0 Replies