collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Explorer/Etrac users input requested please  (Read 5891 times)

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Explorer/Etrac users input requested please
« on: February 11, 2014, 17:00 »
Not sure if this is the right section but it is ML related.  Specifically directed towards Screen based multifrquency detectors like the Explorer and Etrac (not ctx3030 as they have a much more advanced program that can show multiple targets and have much higher discrimination capabilities).

It seems that I tend to have a sporadic run when it comes to gold rings.  I'm not complaining, I've done okay considering, but I am starting to get tired of all the pulltabs.  I know its a common argument/vent for most detectorists but I would like to try and reduce the number of pulltab targets detected and recovered.

The explorer SE I am using already has a beach setting loaded which I am using and have had success, I had a look through the settings to see what is accepted and rejected in this program(through the menu function).  I noticed I have Coins accepted, Jewellery is accepted, as well as Pulltabs, I think from memory everything else is blank. 

I haven't had this machine long so haven't had too much of a play around with programs.  I know some people have almost sent themselves into rehab trying to get settings how they want them on these things.  I figure that I'm just crazy enough and don't need the further aggravation  ;D .

Now I know that the obvious thing to do is to reject Pulltabs from the menu, but the question is this, Is the machine smart enough to tell the difference between a pulltab and a gold ring?  Should I be able to put enough faith in the machine to do this for me or should I leave it and dig every target?  Will the signals from the pulltabs (rejected or not) mask nearby jewellery?

My pulltab count per hunt is probably between 30 and 50 on average and I would dearly love to be able to bring that down a bit as it can become quite demoralising.

Looking forward to your views.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=22834.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

Offline Boot Tack

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: CQ
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 284

Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Explorer/Etrac users input requested please
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 17:25 »
Well, I don't think there is an easy fix, firstly and most likely you have checked this really good post out.  8)

http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php/topic,591.0.html

I have created a couple discrimination programs that allow me to target specific items only, and I do pick up a lot of targets on the fringe of these programs.  I really love the one for $1 & $2 goldies as 95% of the time that's all I get, sometimes screw caps ring up around the 12:39  which I dig to make sure anyway. ???

I do not see a reason why you could not set a pattern to target only au rings, but if you read the post fully there are a lot of other good finds you will let slip though by doing this. :o

It is a tough call.  I just take the pull tabs as hopefully next time I am there, there should be less pull tabs to recover. ;)

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 17:27 by Boot Tack »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030 and most Minelab detectors
  • Oldest find: 1852 Penny

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 17:35 »
Thanks BT...will go read the thread you linked now. 

I hear what you are saying about trying to deplete the amount of pull rings on the site but for 3 days now they just keep coming out (washed over harder base sand...not a cut as such but harder packed grey sand) and now I am struggling to leave the site because if pull tabs are still coming out (older round ones and rectangular) then what else might?  A few other targets found as well but nothing noteworthy.  Its the area I found the big mens 9ct band, maybe another 5 gold rings above this site (in dry sand) have been found recently between myself and another hunter before it sanded up at the top but the lower end is exposing slowly and the Explorer is certainly earning its keep in the more testing ground.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 17:45 by goldnugget01 »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown

Offline Boot Tack

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: CQ
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 284

Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 17:55 »
Well as GG has showed me  ;D  the more effort, the more and better returns, just keep slogging through it mate ;)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030 and most Minelab detectors
  • Oldest find: 1852 Penny

Offline Dutchy (Jarhead)

• Platinum

70%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1516

• Total Badges: 31
    Fifth year Anniversary 5000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 18:19 »
I heard many years ago that the pull tab was the brother to the gold ring when it comes to discrimination.  That should answer your question.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Beaten up ETrac, CTX 3030, Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: 1655 French coin (found in Australia)
Research

Offline Count Pierre

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411

• Total Badges: 35
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 18:45 »
Quote from GN

"...... Is the machine smart enough to tell the difference between a pulltab and a gold ring?"

NO!

"Should I be able to put enough faith in the machine to do this for me or should I leave it and dig every target?"

DIG!

;) ;)

• Detector(s) owned/used: Whites DFX + 5 Coils ,Whites MX5
  • Oldest find: 1817 George 3 Shilling
If I can't handle it, I'll go & have a few beers, or a red wine....or both.... & go from there!

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 19:19 »
I heard many years ago that the pull tab was the brother to the gold ring when it comes to discrimination.  That should answer your question.

Cheers  ;)

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 19:27 »
Quote from GN

"...... Is the machine smart enough to tell the difference between a pulltab and a gold ring?"

NO!

"Should I be able to put enough faith in the machine to do this for me or should I leave it and dig every target?"

DIG!

;) ;)

Point taken but had to ask just in case.  Dig I will (or do you just want me to clear the pulltabs for you  ???   ;D ).

You have been a little quiet CP but as far as I can gather you are loving the etrac...do tell (PM  ;) but no locale details.... I like the inspiration).

I recon I will have to keep the pulltabs separated in a barrel and save them up for scrap.  They don't take up much space so would weigh up a bit after a while.

Well I think that this query has been pretty well answered for me.  Unless someone knows anything different, I thank you all for your help  ;).

Edit added:  I quickly checked the pattern again.  I have Accepted: Coins, Jewellery, Foil, Pulltabs, Rejected: Crown seals, Ferrous Coins and I think the rest are blank: Screw caps, screws and nails etc . 

Any alarm bells there ?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 19:41 by goldnugget01 »

Offline Count Pierre

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 411

• Total Badges: 35
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 19:40 »
E-Trac is going well, GN. Just haven't bothered to post finds.

Nothing too spectacular, anyway.

I'm in the process of comparing it with the VX3, but need a site with plenty of good targets to do it properly. :o :o

CP
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites DFX + 5 Coils ,Whites MX5
  • Oldest find: 1817 George 3 Shilling

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 19:45 »
Cheers mate no worries.  Look forward to catching up some time, I'll be at the same site probably the next couple of days before it gets closed off for an event  >:(.  Its getting hammered between me and another non member local and there still stuff coming out but not necessarily all good stuff...a bit all over the place, wide area though  ::) .

Edit added to my above post.

Offline FSH00

• Platinum
  • Work to live don't live to work

6.67%
    • I live in: QLD
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1699

• Total Badges: 41
    Sixth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring The TON Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 22:31 »
over the Xmas break I was hunting in iron mask mode & if it sounded crap,the numbers were all over the place along with the target cursor it was crap.

If it sounded good, numbers were solid & target cursor was steady it was a good target.

Yes I did dig the crap sounding targets to start off with just to confirm targets & learn the machine & a few each hunt just to check but if I dug every crap sounding target I would never have covered the ground to find the good stuff of course this depends on the area you are hunting.

Why not try disc out the most common pull tabs & ring pulls with the learn function hit the are hard then go back over it when you have time with them notched back in.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: To many is never enough
  • Oldest find: Vicky (bun) penny 18??
Tally: To old to keep count now

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 23:13 »
Thanks for the tip.  Occasionally I hunt Iron Mask mode (If I think its too quiet sometimes...just to hear it beep  ::) ) and it does seem to pick more up...not necessarily the stuff that might be usually blocked out but just more of the regular targets...weird.  Ive only had it a couple of weeks now so maybe coincidence?...I don't know.

Offline Dutchy (Jarhead)

• Platinum

70%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1516

• Total Badges: 31
    Fifth year Anniversary 5000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 05:42 »
We had a member here once, Raven, who mentioned that a gold ring normally is a steady 12-? on ferrous.  That's with an etrac and 3030 that have the ferrous reading.  Don't think the explorer has it.  I haven't found that many gold rings but the one I have remained a steady 12.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Beaten up ETrac, CTX 3030, Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: 1655 French coin (found in Australia)

Offline Buttsy

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Fraser Coast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12

• Total Badges: 25
    Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 07:20 »
The area your doing is the very first beach I ever detected and got me hooked. For the first year I was down there every moment I could get, at least twice a month. I remember doing the low tide after a King tide and just got pre dec after pre dec.  I would have easily got 400pre decs out of there with at least 200 + silvers in 2012. Lots of old relics and jewerally too. It all changed in early 2013 though after the cyclone when I raced down there all excited to find the sand at least one meter + higher!  Between the beach and top of the bank was over my head in places before the cyclone, now you can walk straight out with hardly a drop. I spent a frustrating 2 hours there for one sixpence and that's when I went looking and found the " other area" where you met me that day.
 I keep looking back at that old spot but it doesn't excite me. Looking back at what I found you would think it would be a high chance of finding older gold rings and you would have to think there would be many more.
I never dug a pull tab there, but got my first gold ring there accidentally when I dug a silver coin up and it was with it in the scoop! Got another gold ring one day when I was there with C.P., hadn't had a signal all morning and finally got a rubbish signal. I said to C.P I'm going to dig this pull tab I'm that bored. No pull tab just a stinky gold ring! I chucked it straight in my rubbish bag cursing the gold ring.
My top producing area but haven't been back there since Feb 2013! Good luck on finding some more gold.

• Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab CTX3030, Minelab E-trac, Garrett Pro Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1844 shilling

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 09:00 »
Thanks for that Buttsy.  I don't think I worked that area when I first got the Xterra (a few weeks after the cyclone) so wasn't aware how far it dropped before that.  Its a spot that is getting to me a little but have to keep plugging away while I can and still bringing out a mixture of old and new junk (but no coins...maybe you got em all  ;D ).  I Think the whole lot down low will fill again soon...then I'll have to try the other one  ::)  ;D .  Uni starts back soon so I'm getting out every chance I get till then (weather and body permitting  ??? ).

Offline Ben78

• Silver

0%
    • I live in: Coffs Harbour
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 20
    Fifth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 10:43 »
I think I had pretty much the whole of the right side open on the Beach disc setting - Otherwise you can set it on iron mask at around 15. Proper iron as in nails, buckles etc nearly always hit 31-31 in pinpoint mode even if they are reading low iron on the sweep. Come to think of it the only real difference between beach and parks was to turn the sensitivity down! If you find it starts to get a bit chatty on the sand take the coil cover out and make sure it is dry. It doesn't like to have a bit of water or sand in between the coil cover and the coil... I used it without the coil cover on the beach.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Current: Explorer SE, China GC1038, GPX5000, Garret Pro Pointer Past: Teknetics T2, Whites TDI Pro Oz, Fisher Gold Bug Pro DP
  • Oldest find: 1889 English Penny, 300 million year old gold nugget
2014 Goal
Get back on my feet again.
GC1038 - $21.80 ($58.10)

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 11:16 »
Cheers Ben,

Your Beach setting has worked a treat so far  ;) ...just probing further possibilities.

Did you run it in pinpoint mode while searching on the beach?

I haven't taken the coil cover off yet...will do that later.  Sens on the beach is running around 25.  I'll check Iron mask setting, I only have a thin strip masked out and seems to be doing the job but only by chance haven't found any jewellery in that mode yet (screen opened up much more than the beach setting so I'm confident that its just a matter of swinging the coil over the right target).

Going out now to fill my daily  pulltab quota again ...hopefully with something more exciting to report ;) .

Offline Stealth914

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: NSW nth east
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 37

• Total Badges: 18
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 09:39 »
Maybe the other non member is planting the pull tabs there for you to find so you go somewhere else.... ????

All the best . I don't know about your machine but with mine if you sweep right on the edge the pull tabs usually change pitch sound wise & that is how I dig less tabs & more goodies.
I always test myself though every time I go just to make sure my machine is in tune.

Sounds like a very busy spot with continuous tabs so maybe a smaller coil could help but will take a longer time to cover same area.

Cheers n I hope you find an answer.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Now the precious 3030 woohoo,Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab pin pointer 25, Nel Hunter
  • Oldest find: 1846 Four Pence yehaw
Dirt Fishing gotta love it

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 19:58 »
Thanks for the replies.

Nah the non member and I have been working a couple of spots together lately but still doing our own thing...he's just not an active forum user kind of guy.  I have accepted that pulltabs are just an occupational hazard that coexists with rings just by the nature of the variety of shapes and sizes in both cases.

Offline The Catseye Cleaner

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Mackay QLD
    • The Catseye Cleaner
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 542

• Total Badges: 28
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2014, 20:09 »
GN1, try this if you think it will help:- 

Grab whatever gold rings you have and head to the area of beach you want to hunt. Try to take a variety of ct. types and include white and rose gold if you have it. Using the learn screen, find an empty patch of sand and set the explorer to "accept" each item with the large size pixel block. Tidy up any stray accepted areas and save this pattern in a spare slot. Then, detect the area with an open screen until you find a few of the pull tabs that are causing you the most grief. There are three or four common types of beaver tails and two common types of the "figure 8" sort. I have found that any given area will favour one sort over another.

Now open the screen up and USING THE SMALLEST PIXEL BLOCK set the Explorer to reject just the most common two or three pull tabs for the area you want to hunt. Try to be as careful as you can when doing this, you only want one tiny small area blanked out for each type of tab. Once you are satisfied with the resulting pattern, save it into another slot. 

From the main menu, tick/accept both of these settings. If all has worked out, you should have all your ring/gold settings open on the screen with the worst of the pull tabs blanked out. This will not completely eliminate pull tabs and you may still miss the odd ring but it will make the most common tabs a little less of a pest.

Of course, test your settings with your gold to make sure you are not blanking out too much. If you feel confident enough you can accept other items like silver rings and decimal coins, save them in separate slots and add them in or take them out of the mix as you see fit. Hope this helps a bit, Catseye.   

• Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab Explorer II x 2 + Sunray X1 probe, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab Sovereign Elite, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett A2B, Minelab CTX3030, Garrett Pro-Pointer Detectnix X-Pointer, Garrett Carrot, Minelab Musketeer Advantage.
  • Oldest find: 1805 - 1806 King George III Large Penny
If it ain't got an 18 in front it's just another coin.

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 21:31 »
Thanks for the tip.  When I have some quiet time I will do that and report back on the results, cheers  ;)

xx
Explorer?

Started by Ben78 on Minelab

8 Replies
Last post April 25, 2013, 19:09
by Ben78
xx
is the minelab etrac metal detector any good?

Started by tazy_devil25 on Minelab

35 Replies
Last post May 03, 2014, 09:06
by Rwork

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything