collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Here is a magical detector.  (Read 6916 times)

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

• Fill this by Posting :)
    26.67%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Here is a magical detector.
« on: April 01, 2014, 23:41 »
Hi Guys,

This is a big breakthrough with knocking out foil and getting gold rings with a beautiful made detector.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=23400.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Vallon Whites v3i, Dual Field e-trac, Quattro, Exterra 70, Sovereign xs, Whites Goldmaster, Whites p.i. Minelab 2100, Aquasport, Garrett a2b, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett bfo, Bridge Wright, Bounty Hunter rb7, Bounty Hunter rb5, Whites 6000d, Whites 6db
Horse sense is the result of stable thinking.

Offline Boot Tack

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: CQ
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 284

• Total Badges: 22
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Here is a magical detector.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 08:54 »
Bloody in house and air tests, Detectors need testing in the real environment.

I ONLY watched up to the detecting in house and pulled the pin.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030 and most Minelab detectors
  • Oldest find: 1852 Penny

Offline SVEN1

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Canada
    • Classic Metal Detectors, Tips, Tricks, Mods
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 18
    Fifth year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 22:46 »
Guys guys guys, settle down.
This exactly why I did not post much anywhere about its performance except maybe that I was building my own PI.
The disbelievers out there are vast and are fast to comment....."a garage built machine surely can't be any good. Nothing is as good
as a mass produced machine by a big name manufacturer...." There was never a goal to be a Minelab machine. The Mirage is a PI,
that anyone  can build at the fraction of the cost of a production machine that has excellent performance that would surprise many as well as open up some eyes. I built mine for a purpose and I like it, thought others would as well, so I decided to share so others can have fun too.

Read more at my website: http://www.treasurelinx.com/projects.html

I do not build these to resell, I build as a hobby and occasional one is sold to keep funding my hobby. I am a builder by nature, and my  finished items tend to look professional or like a production unit. You can visit my other webpages to view my other hobbies: http://www.treasurelinx.com/puddle_pirate_sailboats.html

Gunnar in the video was pretty excited, his first PI. And as many of you know a PI works differently than a VLF and has a few tricks up its sleeves that a VLF cannot do.

If I had the cash at the time to spend, $800 for a Detectorpro PI, $2000 for an Eric Foster unit or $5000 for a Minelab 5000GPX. If I did, would have never built the Mirage.

The satisfaction comes from building your own machine with outstanding performance that will find treasures. Those that build their own machines know what I am talking about.
I also get more satisfaction when someone uses a machine I built and finds some valuable treasure and goes on to find more.

Everyone enjoy the machines you own and let others enjoy theirs. A couple German builders are happy with the design.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_otbmJi96vk

• Detector(s) owned/used: DeepTech, Tesoro, self built Mirage Pi
  • Oldest find: 1700'S COIN
Classic Metal Detectors, Tips, Tricks, Mods
www.treasurelinx.com

Offline Stalker

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Padbury , west ozz
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 775

• Total Badges: 24
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 23:04 »
Awesome sven .  I read about it on another forum a few months back .. and there are some good home made pi detectors out there ...
  • Detector(s) owned/used: some call it the armadillo some say its ugly I think its feral . atx
  • Oldest find: 1877 coin that had been turned into a necklace , gave to the bruthern pub
Does chuck norris use a metal detector on the beach ..no he is the metal detector and the beach comes to him ..

LazyTrommel

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 23:58 »
Modified hammerhead. sounds like fun..

Offline OZDigger

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Nundle NSW
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 10
    Fourth year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 12:59 »
I have a Mirage PI which I got as a populated board and am in the process of putting in a case and building coils for.  If I lived in an area such as the GT or WA goldfields I would buy the best Minelab I could afford but as I do not I choose to build a Mirage PI. I regard this as an opportunity to learn about both electronics and detector principles and operation, which will provide me with a good base of knowledge, if, some time in the future I have an opportunity to spend time in the goldfields.

I have found Sven straight forward and reliable to deal with. Additionally he maintains a private forum for Mirage builders which is a great source of Detector technical information.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: none
  • Oldest find: none

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

70%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 147

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 14:05 »
Hi Guys,

This is a big breakthrough with knocking out foil and getting gold rings with a beautiful made detector.

Detector looks good........this video do Not give it full justice.

ivanll
There is no honour in fake memberships or postings ! ~ Trust and respect is earned!

LazyTrommel

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 14:15 »
Sven, Well done on this unit, after a lot of googling around I managed to get some schems and a bunch of photos..  the mods are awesome.. and would certainly take the hammerhead beyond its original performance.

So while i chew my humble pie, I'll study up on your very intriguing machine.. 

ps, you should post more! If I'd known this machine was out and about i'd more than likely have built one :( oh well one day soon maybe..

Offline SVEN1

• Copper

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

Fifth year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 23:45 »
 Gunnar made another video, hooked up an external speaker for the video.
If you google him "kaolinwasher mirage" he has some great comments.
And the emails from him sound like he's having fun finding a PI can do things a VLF can't.

In his video he does run the SAT control pretty low, which is very good for the very small gold. The lower SAT also turns the Mirage into a almost no to slow motion machine. I like running at about 75%. More like a motion machine, faster target response and separation between targets. You can sweep faster, similar to a VLF that has slow motion. Maybe like a Minelab Quattro.

I already sent a built up PCB to Aussie Land for completion. It has been field tested for a short period, newbie to PI and it had no problems handling your hot rocks.
Had some falsing issues when used with the 10.5" search coil due to your mineralization like many other PI's. But, without proper adjustment and skill in tuning, and being a new user may have contributed to that. When he gets the 7" coil built he should see a big improvement. That could be months down the road....

It will be quite interesting to see how the Mirage performs in your neck of the woods. I hear it's the ultimate test bed for PI's.

I remember 6666 rec'd one of the original experimental PCB's a few years ago. There were about 5 of us working on it to get the bugs out and there were a number of them. Eventually the first board was functioning and performing. Since that first PCB, I lost track, think we went thru about 8 or 9 PCB revisions to get the PI to where it is today. Can tell you a couple PCB revisions were dogs and had to be thrown out. Few hundred bucks down the drain. In the end, I find it was all worth it................
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 00:03 by SVEN1 »

Offline Stalker

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 00:07 »
Western australia would be the place to test it I think ... im thinking of going in a few weeks time as its only just a 8 drive from perth to some of the hottest ground around  .. I have the atx with the just the dd and keen to see how it goes ... I wish there was a 11"x7" mono for it as I think it would be better option .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: some call it the armadillo some say its ugly I think its feral . atx
  • Oldest find: 1877 coin that had been turned into a necklace , gave to the bruthern pub

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

70%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 147

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 17:18 »
If the Mirage PI could be built to use PI coils of your choosing in other words coils one already have available on hand it would save making specific coils.

Perhaps it would also entice more kit builders to give it a go.

ivanll

Offline SVEN1

• Copper

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 21:30 »
If the Mirage PI could be built to use PI coils of your choosing in other words coils one already have available on hand it would save making specific coils.

Perhaps it would also entice more kit builders to give it a go.
ivanll

I have a kit with 5 different size coil options that have proven to be excellent performers with the Mirage. If you know what you are doing the Minelab "mono" coils can also be used. Due to many inquiries over the past 5 months, I have begged up a number of kits for those that might be interested in one. I don't advertise them outright as I usually don't have many spare PCB's on hand at any given time. I just ordered a new batch of PCB's so I can build some water machines and since I bought enough parts to build 15 machines. I will offer a number of kits to repay myself for my investment. It's a hobby not a business.

Offline Stalker

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2014, 21:36 »
How much for a kit sven1 ...

Offline SVEN1

• Copper

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 08:55 »
PM me your email address and I will send out all the info. I don't want to be seen as using the forum only to sell machines.

LazyTrommel

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 19:52 »
SVEN1 I'd also be interested in a kit. Just finished a Baracuda Legend kit, its less than awesome.. needs modding.

xx
What detector ?

Started by Sskim on Other generic

4 Replies
Last post April 02, 2011, 21:55
by Smurf
xx
Here is a new detector.

Started by beepn on Other generic

1 Replies
Last post December 13, 2015, 08:30
by ohb1