collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Coil specifiations for Surf P.i. md  (Read 6184 times)

Offline Dave.m

• Tin Foil

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Newcastle NSW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 8
    Badges: (View All)
    Third year Anniversary First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Coil specifiations for Surf P.i. md
« on: May 09, 2014, 16:21 »
I have recently completed a build up of a surf P.I. 1.2 detector kit from Silverdog . I have built a couple of coils which I have attempted to shield using different methods. One attempt was a 10 inch coil using 19 turns of .5mm enamelled copper wire reshaped to an an elliptical form and bound with two wraps of pvc spirwrap and rebound with masking tape and then coated with clear two pack auto paint mixed with graphite powder and a piece of .5 copper wire stripped of the insulation and spirally bound around the coil to be grounded on one of the other two coil wires. This coil failed completely due to lack of conductivity between the earth wire and the shield.
The second attempt is almost the same as the first except for the shielding method where I used self adhesive copper tape and it worked reasonably well , it picked up a steel tent peg at approximately 40 cm in wet beach sand, the puurpose of my post is does anybody know the specs for a mono coil for a surf P.I. 1.2 md. for searching for small targets. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Dave.m

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=23869.0
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 17:10 by Dave.m »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Fisher Gold Bug 2,
  • Oldest find: Gold bearing quartz

LazyTrommel

Re: Coil specifiations for Surf P.i. md
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 17:54 »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Litz-wire-Minelab-metal-detector-coil-/251270393553?pt=AU_Gadgets&hash=item3a80e1eed1&_uhb=1

buy this...

use this guide http://detectormods.com/coilcalc.php

worked for me.. maybe it will work for you.

Offline Stalker

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Padbury , west ozz
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 775

• Total Badges: 24
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 20:09 »
Go to the kitchen grab the ally foil and use that as shielding ..
  • Detector(s) owned/used: some call it the armadillo some say its ugly I think its feral . atx
  • Oldest find: 1877 coin that had been turned into a necklace , gave to the bruthern pub
Does chuck norris use a metal detector on the beach ..no he is the metal detector and the beach comes to him ..

Offline Stalker

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Padbury , west ozz
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 775

• Total Badges: 24
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 20:21 by Stalker »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: some call it the armadillo some say its ugly I think its feral . atx
  • Oldest find: 1877 coin that had been turned into a necklace , gave to the bruthern pub

Offline SVEN1

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Canada
    • Classic Metal Detectors, Tips, Tricks, Mods
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 18
    Fifth year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 22:06 »
Surf wasn't designed to find small targets. Pulse Delay is too high and pulse width is too wide. And it would have to use a fast coil.
Think the Surf had a pulse delay of around 22us, fine for larger gold and coins, don't recall the Pulse width think it might have been around 50us which also gives it better depth on the above items.
You need a Pulse delay that can go down to at least 10-12us and a pulse width around 12us
Reshaping a round coil into an elliptical coil will change the original inductance of the coil.

You can't make a fast coil out of plain magnetic copper wire.

• Detector(s) owned/used: DeepTech, Tesoro, self built Mirage Pi
  • Oldest find: 1700'S COIN
Classic Metal Detectors, Tips, Tricks, Mods
www.treasurelinx.com

clip
PRO SCAN 12" coil

Started by Btracer on Other generic

4 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 10:12
by Adrian ss

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network