collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  BREAKAGE ON MAKRO RACER COIL EARS  (Read 4510 times)

Offline Nokta Detectors

• Board Moderator
  • Bronze

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • Nokta Detectors
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2

• Total Badges: 18
    Badges: (View All)
    Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
BREAKAGE ON MAKRO RACER COIL EARS
« on: April 30, 2015, 17:26 »
Hello all... this is to inform all valued members of the forum that we have had some cases of coil ear breakages on the standard coil of the Makro Racer.

After investigation, we have found out that the material supplier made a change in the material without informing us and sent material different than the approved samples in one party of goods sent. The material change resulted in reported breakages first on the bolts and then the coil ears.

As we did not come across these breakages during our tests here, the products were distributed to the dealers. Please note that the issue is not across the board and the percentage is small relative to what was shipped yet we have been replacing all coils that were reported to us with a breakage. We have addressed the issue already and changed the material for all units currently in production.

Although the problem was not a result of our internal processes or quality control, we still apologize to all customers on behalf of our team. We guarantee that every single coil ear breakage issue will be addressed by the company and your coil will be replaced via express courier service. If you experience coil ear breakage, please email cavit@makrodetector.com with the serial number of your device and also attach the image of the coil. Thank you in advance for your understanding and once again we apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused for any customer.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=27203.0
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 17:29 by Nokta Detectors »

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

70%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 147

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
Re: BREAKAGE ON MAKRO RACER COIL EARS
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 11:49 »
Recently purchased/received RC13 coil including a Bolt/Nut/Washer assembly................. very nice.

Oops............... MAKRO we have a gap and a shortcoming!

ivanll
There is no honour in fake memberships or postings ! ~ Trust and respect is earned!

Offline Narrawa

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Central West NSW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5

• Total Badges: 14
    Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 23:43 »
You could try putting the coil bolt into it without the shaft attached.... heating it up slowly with a hair dryer, and when its starts to get flexible, start tightening the bolt till its closed enough....than allow to cool naturally.
....or not.?

Iv done it to many of my older NF coils due to not paying attention to the wear factor of the shaft rubbers...and letting them get beyond the limit of being...stuffed...lol
This causes the ears to bend inwards, and pulls the mounting bracket from the face of the coil as you continue to tighten the coil bolt before each use....gently heat and use the coil bolt in reverse to set the desired gap. And pay closer attention to the shaft rubbers in the future.
...or not. ;D
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Lots
  • Oldest find: A rock...i believe its pretty old...lol
believe

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

70%
  • Liked:

Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2015, 14:29 »
You could try putting the coil bolt into it without the shaft attached.... heating it up slowly with a hair dryer, and when its starts to get flexible, start tightening the bolt till its closed enough....than allow to cool naturally.
....or not.?

Iv done it to many of my older NF coils due to not paying attention to the wear factor of the shaft rubbers...and letting them get beyond the limit of being...stuffed...lol
This causes the ears to bend inwards, and pulls the mounting bracket from the face of the coil as you continue to tighten the coil bolt before each use....gently heat and use the coil bolt in reverse to set the desired gap. And pay closer attention to the shaft rubbers in the future.
...or not. ;D

There are certain expectation of quality when one purchase a brand new Original Manufactured Equipment coil at full price; one would be that all components fit neatly together straight out of the box without first having to modify one or more parts to do so.
Heating the coil ears as suggested would be one possibility for realignment, however heating components that are made of dissimilar unknown materials can be tricky with questionable result and if unlucky could render the coil unusable..... result $182.00 down the drain.

ivanll

If the advise from Makro is to heat the coil ears and then squeeze them together to fit the shaft, then that is what I might do........... Provided it don't affect the warranty at all.
I'll wait and see.

Offline junker

• Platinum
  • You are not lost , if you dont care where you are

0%
    • I live in: Avoca Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3326

• Total Badges: 27
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2015, 18:05 »
A suggestion that will not affect your warranty , just cut a few discs like washers out of a lid of a ice cream container or similar , punch a hole for the bolt and place them between the shaft and ears of the coil to take up the free space , I agree that the product should be the correct size for its purpose and any modifications should not be made to fit it .  
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ExTerra 705 , GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1800's wax seal stamp, 1826 shilling , 1861 H/P.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

70%
  • Liked:

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 21:23 »
Junker,
To shim out the space would take care of the gap problem, except now the bolt is to short to be of any use as only 2 threads are protruding and therefore would have to be replaced with a longer one.
Same size coil from Nokta Fors Gold fits perfectly on the Racer shaft without any extra packing or modifications.
Most likely just a coil that slid past the quality check.

ivanll

Offline junker

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 22:08 »
Junker,
To shim out the space would take care of the gap problem, except now the bolt is to short to be of any use as only 2 threads are protruding and therefore would have to be replaced with a longer one.
Same size coil from Nokta Fors Gold fits perfectly on the Racer shaft without any extra packing or modifications.

ivanll
[That's no good , another suggestion , how about trying a nylon bolt that they use on toilet seats , hardware stores usually have them in the plumbing section , only a couple of dollars , maybe if you know a plumber nothing .]

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

70%
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 18:30 »
Junker,

There is a few ways to fix the mismatch between this coil and shaft, I have done what was necessary to make it work without heating clamping or otherwise exposing the coil to damage, however had it been obtained from a local dealer I would have taken it back for an exchange.............. not to worry it's just a downside to internet/postal dealings.

Let it be a warning to other Racer users, check your potential purchase before accepting and paying for it. 

ivanll
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 08:56 by ivanll »

Offline Nokta Detectors

• Board Moderator
  • Bronze

0%
    • Nokta Detectors
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2

Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 17:40 »
Recently purchased/received RC13 coil including a Bolt/Nut/Washer assembly................. very nice.

Oops............... MAKRO we have a gap and a shortcoming!

ivanll

Have you contacted the Makro sales team? 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Nokta & Makro

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

70%
  • Liked:

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 20:29 »
Have you contacted the Makro sales team?

Yes.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

70%
  • Liked:

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 13:08 »
Received exciting news from Makro.......... they will send a new bolt.  8)

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

70%
  • Liked:

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 16:32 »
Another outstanding + service from MAKRO.

Received a DHL express post bag with a new Bolt and Washer assembly the rubber washers are thicker and take up the excess space between coil ears and shaft much better than before.

ivanll

Offline junker

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 11:04 »
It is good to see in this era , manufacturers that stand by their customers with good service and recognize a problem and help fix it . Many others would turn a deaf ear and ignore or not even acknowledge a problem even exists . When is this PI machine coming ?

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

70%
  • Liked:

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2015, 11:45 »
More on broken coil ears and responses............ it'll be sorted out.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?102,2222039

ivanll

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

70%
  • Liked:

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2015, 12:53 »
My replacement RC26 coil was delivered by DHL Express this morning (4 days Turkey - Australia) without any hassle or upset after politely contacting Cavit ARSLAN at Makro re. a slight coil mishap.

Their customer service and choice of courier delivery have proved to be both professional and first class.

ivanll

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

70%
  • Liked:

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 16:45 »
A recent conversation with a person showing interest in the Racer, was apparently reluctant in a purchase commitment due to talk on issues with breakage of ears on some coils.

It's always an issue when the material of a product do not perform as expected, however there is no issue with the customer service from Makro, as can be observed/verified in some previous posts.

I've had replacement parts/coils in the past at a speed that could become addictive, direct from Makro/Nokta without any hurdles or 3 degree interrogation.

However I do see a couple of minor things that would be beneficial if they were to be changed/incorporated........... prehaps one day.

ivanll

Offline Peter 64

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11

Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 14:05 »
Who is the importer/retailer of Makro detectors in Australia?  Have been trying to find one....Aussie Detecting and Prospecting seems to have taken both Makro and Nokta detectors off their product list.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab, Fisher, Tesoro, Teknetics,Whites, Garrett
  • Oldest find: 1826 halfpenny, 1662-1722 Chinese coin.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

70%
  • Liked:

Offline Peter 64

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11

Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 16:52 »
Thanks IvanII.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab, Fisher, Tesoro, Teknetics,Whites, Garrett
  • Oldest find: 1826 halfpenny, 1662-1722 Chinese coin.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

70%
  • Liked:

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2016, 15:39 »
Junker,

ivanll
[That's no good , another suggestion , how about trying a nylon bolt that they use on toilet seats , hardware stores usually have them in the plumbing section , only a couple of dollars , maybe if you know a plumber nothing .]

Nokta did send a new coil bolt as mentioned before unfortunately it had the same length as the one I had which was way to short, but it was a nice service just the same; this service should have come from the Oz dealer where the RC13 coil was purchased !

Toilet seat bolts are often handy with good fit, I only had a few size 3/8" which was to thick for this job.
Got a box of longer 5/16" nylon bolts that are easily modified with a side lever to whatever coil it need to fit and a little fancy at the same time.

ivanll

Offline Napoleon

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 4
    One year Anniversary First Post
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2016, 10:25 »
Still think Makro have done very well since the release of the Racer ,  I have tested over 10 detectors for the last 3 years from top end machine  Minelab,XP,Fisher and so on last year I had the chance to test the Racer 1 and I was surprise how good this detector perform I have tested against Deus , CTX and I am sorry to say that but they all have been at the same level, I even done  some  dig in France where I am originally come  from, 70 % of the detectorists use DEUS few of them   had a new vision after using the Racer so sometime save money and get a good machine with a top customer  service.

Ps: sorry about my English  check online on youtube  you will see my first hunt with the racer ten minutes and one hammered coin .

HH.
Napoleon

Offline Moose 61

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Traralgon Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 9
    Second year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2017, 09:44 »
Im on my 4th rc26 coil, first one moisture ingress due to small cover, other two broken ears, lighting fast replacement from Makro, the latest coil seams to have different design  ears.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: whites 5000d, minelab x-terra 305, makro racer
  • Oldest find: 1875 penny 1877 sixpence

Offline goldpick

• Gold

36.67%
    • I live in: South East, South Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 516

• Total Badges: 19
    Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2017, 23:17 »
The latest RC26 is a much improved design, with more substantial ears and reinforcement around the bolt hole.  The plastics also seem to have been improved upon - can't say I've had any issues with breakages on my Racer 2 coil so far.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use: XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites SPP, XP Mi-6, Garrett AT Propointer, Minelab Pro-find, Whites TRX, Deteknix X-Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1806/7 KG3 HP's, penny, shilling & threepence

xx
makro racer coil

Started by Jockaroo on Makro

4 Replies
Last post March 26, 2017, 06:18
by Jockaroo
xx
Makro RACER coil test.

Started by Narrawa on Makro

1 Replies
Last post July 09, 2015, 09:45