collapse

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Hi from NW Tassie  (Read 554 times)

Offline Ravvin

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    16.67%
    • I live in: Wesley Vale, Tasmania
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107

• Total Badges: 2
    Badges: (View All)
    10 Posts First Post
Hi from NW Tassie
« on: June 23, 2017, 17:13 »

Hi all, first post here. I thought I better introduce myself before jumping in and asking lots of annoying questions.
I work in Devonport, Tasmania, and live about 10 minutes out of town. I found your forum earlier this week and spent most of the time since working through all the different threads.
I got into detectoring roughly 9 years back, when I bought a Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II. I mostly hunted around a couple of old house ruins, with just the brick chimney bases left. From memory, I found 2 half pennies and 4 kangaroo pennies, as well as an old heavy brass trigger guard that had been through a fire. I had a play at a local beach, in the section of dry sand above the high tide line, but got very few hits, even on all metal mode with sensitivity set high. The few modern coins I found, and the small rusted travel clock, were easily 6 to 8 inches deep. I suppose a storm must have dumped the sand there fairly recently as the coins were only a few years old.
Anyway, after that bit of hunting I got a new job and got a bit sidetracked. I recently dug out my gear and found it still works. I had a bit of a play around in my yard and realised it was full of junk. Lots of old rusty nails, big chunks of old cast iron, a few aluminium toothpaste tubes and lumps of old rotten concrete with wire in it. I finished work early today and went for a play down the beach, but it seems that the sand is really deep at the moment and only got 2 targets in half an hour before the rain chased me away. One was a board off a boat with 2 copper nails stuck in it and the other was a small pocket of odd black sand, about 4 inches down. There should have been plenty of signals from bottle caps and junk, but when I dug a hole to see what was going on, I found a thick layer of old seaweed about 8 inches down, so any metal objects would be well below that.
 I’d like to get back into detecting again and will probably have to upgrade from my Bounty Hunter. They don’t seem very popular; most people seem to have preferred the Tracker IV over the Quickdraw II in the entry level range. I’ll read up more on what is available and put up a post explaining what I want to do and what detectors I can afford and prefer before actually buying something.
There’s some great info here on the forum and people seem friendly and knowledgeable, so I look forward to contributing some good hunting stories and hopefully some awesome finds pics soon.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=31595.0

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum
  • SO MUCH GROUND....SO LITTLE TIME.

10%
    • I live in: Shearwater
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52

• Total Badges: 34
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
Re: Hi from NW Tassie
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 20:01 »
Hello Ravvin,
Welcome to the forum. I am in Shearwater if you want to catch up sometime. Have hit most places around Devonport but you never find it all.
I started with a BH Tracker IV and worked my way up.
Roger
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 800
  • Oldest find: 1806 King George III penny
The bucket list. Gothic Florin - found, Gold ring - found, Trench Art - not found, Sunrise badge - not found, Cricket buckle = not found, Sov or half Sov - not found.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 945

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 12:27 »
Welcome to the forum Ravvin, i hope it works out that you can meet some of the Tassy members. We did have a members map where you could click on the name and see a rough location but that system seems to have disappeared.  Once you have about 50 posts up other things will be viewable.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Ravvin

• Copper

16.67%
    • I live in: Wesley Vale, Tasmania
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107

• Total Badges: 2
    10 Posts First Post
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 19:02 »
Thanks for the welcome.
Once I get my current gear sorted out and remember how my detector works, I'll give you a yell, Roger. ;D
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, Minelab CTX3030

Offline whitehunter

• Platinum
  • Just one more swing !

100%
    • I live in: n.e. tassie
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3633

• Total Badges: 24
    Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year Third year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 08:38 »
Welcome Ravvin , i'm in Bridport , if your coming up this way send me a pm and we will meet up .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ebay cheapo , Coinmaster , White's mxt pro ,Minelab 2100 , Minelab Equinox 800 , White's Surf P I . Makro Gold Racer , Nokta fors Relic , Whites MX 5
  • Oldest find: 1854 penny , 1816 shilling , cartwheel penny , 1895 gold sovereign , 1842 Groat

xx
Hi from Tassie

Started by Matt22 on New Members Introduce yourself Here 2016 Onwards

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2018, 21:24
by Tasrog

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam