collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  show me how to you carry/organise your stuff in the field?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Old Dog New Trick

• Iron

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Manly, NSW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7

• Total Badges: 8
    Badges: (View All)
    Third year Anniversary First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Newb here...currently trying various 'rigs' to carry my stuff both in the actual field as well as in the vehicle to and from it.
Have ATX plus all the usual bits and pieces.
Current setup is Bunnings sourced tradies toolbelt for walking/hanging stuff off.
Arm gets a bit tired so need some sort of bungee for the detector.
Save me stuffing about!  Show me how you organise all this please.
Davo

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=31904.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ATX
  • Oldest find: newby

Offline Dutchy (Jarhead)

• Platinum

73.33%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1520

• Total Badges: 31
    Fifth year Anniversary 5000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary
Re: show me how to you carry/organise your stuff in the field?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 17:29 »
As an old infantryman i travel light. Anyone that's detected with me comments on how little gear I carry. I wear tradie pants with large rear pockets. I wear a cloth front detecting apron that's divided in 2 pockets ( treasure/trash).  My digger and pro pointer go in my left rear pocket . When I squat to dig I just reach around for the pointer. Cargo pockets will hold a small water bottle and phone.  After thousands of hours with this set only lost a digger for a short while when I crawled under a fence. 
Research

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 949

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 06:12 »
Most gold hunters end up carrying a bit of gear if they are away from their vehicle. Solid gear with flaps and velcro rather than zips for me. We have to carry large picks so i use the very solid DD leather pick holder. This is angled back so you can squat without the pick handle trying to trip you up.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Goodbeard

• Platinum

16.67%
    • I live in: North Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 681

• Total Badges: 25
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 10:08 »
I use a tradies tool belt most of the time.  Digger fits in the hammer holder and I carry my propointer in its holder attached to the tool belt.  Plenty of pockets for large junk and small finds.  Also allows me to carry a screwdriver and coin probe when hunting goldies in parks.  
There are a few downsides if you compare to Dutchys minimalist setup.  Dutchy is off hunting while I am still fiddling with putting on the tool belt.  It carries so much that it weighs down a bit and starts to slip off the hips after a while.   
Will post a pic once home from a short break.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030 - Xtrerra 305 - Xterra 705 - Garret pro pointer - Tesoro Silver Umax - Garratt ACE 250
  • Oldest find: 1806 George III Penny

Offline ohb1

• Platinum

20%
    • I live in: Sunshine Coast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 595

• Total Badges: 36
    Seventh year Anniversary Florin Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Wheat Three Pence Round 50 Cents 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 10:05 »
Dave,...My set up is similar to Goodbeard,....tradies nail bag with 5 pockets...Large left back pocket holds the probe and digger, front left gets to keep the good finds....middle pocket for questionable finds (to look at later) right front for rubbish,...right rear ....doesn't get used. A small (punch holder) houses a spare 9 volt battery that remains there semi permanently, (in case the probe battery goes flat)....and that's it for me....Ringa has a smaller, lighter nail bag, with 4 pockets. 

Like Goodbeard, a quick "click" of the belt, and all is ready  to go...a click again, and the weight and bulk is quickly taken off and placed behind the rear car seat...ready for the next site....

Can't comment on a "swingy thingy"..So far the arm/shoulder is keeping up with the age factor...The balance of the machine you use is one of the main factors there I think...I used to use a fairly light machine that was front (coil) heavy, and the arm did wear out after a while...The machine I use now is balanced perfectly, though the weight is beginning to tell with shoulder aches ever now and then...it's all a rationalization of "age vrs commitment"  commitment seems to win out every time!..and yes,...I'm showing the effects of an irrational decision ! !   ;D

ohb1
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Laser B1; Tesoro Cortes; Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab 3030; Garrett Pro Pointer
  • Oldest find: George IV shilling 1825-1829
swing..sweet silver succumbs.... sorrow,scratched, still, sentimental... smile, satisfied,... search, somewhere, sometime, silver

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum
  • SO MUCH GROUND....SO LITTLE TIME.

10%
    • I live in: Shearwater
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 52

• Total Badges: 34
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 23:38 »
Old waders waist belt with pinpointer and digger hanging off it. Sandscoop over left shoulder and swing detector with the right. Either my coat with left pocket for rubbish and right for the goodies if it is cold or a fly fishing jacket ( home made) if it is warmer. Cargo pants or shorts most of the time
Roger
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 800
  • Oldest find: 1806 King George III penny
The bucket list. Gothic Florin - found, Gold ring - found, Trench Art - not found, Sunrise badge - not found, Cricket buckle = not found, Sov or half Sov - not found.

Offline Dutchy (Jarhead)

• Platinum

73.33%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1520

• Total Badges: 31
    Fifth year Anniversary 5000 Posts Fourth year Anniversary Find Of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 06:52 »
The same as you Tasrog when it comes to wet weather. My rain jacket pockets - left for trash - right for treasure, serves as my finds bag.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesaro Bandido 2, Explorer, ETrac, CTX 3030, Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: 1655 French coin (found in Australia)

Offline gldfvr

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: NE Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24

• Total Badges: 27
    Cricket Buckle 100 Posts Florin Commonwealth Halfpenny Sixpence Roo Penny Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence Fourth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 17:41 »

I use an old army bag with a seat belt sewn to it ; Have a magnet from an old speaker attached to a dog clip to find those annoying small pieces of steel . All my finds go into main part of bag ; small pocket at back carries an emergency blanket and some paper in case I get caught short out detecting . Two smaller pockets each side for film containers for putting smaller finds in . When I get back to car just a quick unclip to dump all finds into a gold pan then back to start filling bag with more trash , I sort through all my finds when I get back home , Gives me more time detecting then .Homemade digger with long handle for that extra bit of oomph in harder ground plus I use it as a walking stick type of arrangement .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty Hunter DE280 . Whites Coinmaster 6000D . Tesoro Diablo II . Minelab Sterling .Minelab GT16000 . Garrett Infinium LS . Garrett Pro-Pointer . Minelab X-Terra 705 .
  • Oldest find: 1851 Half Soveriegn

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

33.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 759

• Total Badges: 33
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 08:17 »
Been using this for only a few weeks now and Love it. Biggest Bag I have ever had and its a change from my Tradies tool belt.

Main difference is it carries water bottle, has TONS of pockets for stuff and a mesh base in the main part to let the dust/sand etc fall through. 4 More internal pockets keep the treasures secure.

Made by Grey Ghost, I am really Impressed with them so far. Wore it with my 5000 on the beach the other day and it was no bother with the harness. Just need to find a way to drag my stainless steel scoop 6 feet behind me to avoid loads of signals on the left?

A Hard case keeps all the detector gear in one spot and allows a one handed grab the gear and bolt when the opportunity arises. Surprised how much I can jam in there.

Happy Hunting

Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax, GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. Metal Detectors Australia

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 949

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 14:15 »
You shouldn’t be getting signals from gear carried unless a pinpointer is interfering with the receive.
I purchased the longest shaft from Coiltek and it can be adjusted to suit the coil length. Good when their are bull ants on the other side of a hole.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline bicter

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: QLD, 4307
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67

• Total Badges: 30
    Returned an Item Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts Commonwealth Halfpenny The Gold Ring Florin Nugget Under 1 Ounce Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence 50 Posts
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 14:29 »
Wore it with my 5000 on the beach the other day and it was no bother.
Happy Hunting
Clegy
Clegy,
Slightly off topic, how effective was the 5000 on the beach, what coil and settings were used?
Thinking I might give mine a run with 16"coil down the goldcoast. Or does it run better with the standard DD?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 21:29 by bicter »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD2100,GPX5000, AT Pro, SD2100, Coinmaster, propointer, Safari, Whites Dual Field PI, Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: 1866 Sixpence, gold nuggets

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam