collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Which Nel coil for beach work?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline bicter

• Bronze

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: QLD, 4307
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 67

• Total Badges: 30
    Badges: (View All)
    Returned an Item Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts Commonwealth Halfpenny The Gold Ring Florin Nugget Under 1 Ounce Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence 50 Posts
Which Nel coil for beach work?
« on: November 07, 2017, 20:02 »
As per the title, I'm looking at getting a larger coil for beach work.

The intent is to get better ground coverage and improved depth.
Currently looking at either the Nel Thunder (14.5 x 10.5 @570g) or the Tornado (12 x13 @560g). There's a big price difference between the thunder A$385 v Tornado A$289. Prices from http://www.detectorsdownunder.com
Has anybody used the nel coils on a safari or an e-trac and can advise what sort of depth improvement I'd be looking at between the Thunder and the Tornado
The standard safari coil is 11".
Thanks in advance

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32002.0
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 20:07 by bicter »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD2100,GPX5000, AT Pro, SD2100, Coinmaster, propointer, Safari, Whites Dual Field PI, Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: 1866 Sixpence, gold nuggets

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 20
    Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Which Nel coil for beach work?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2017, 20:22 »
I use the Tornado on my safari and will not be taking it off any time soon.
Nice coil, very sensitive with significant depth over the standard coil and does ok on gold chains.down to approx 6g any smaller and it is a no show.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 20:25 by Adrian ss »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Offline bicter

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

Returned an Item Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts Commonwealth Halfpenny The Gold Ring Florin Nugget Under 1 Ounce Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence 50 Posts
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 07:44 »
Thanks Adrian, great feedback as usual 😀
I use a Tornado on my AT Pro (which hasn't been swung in anger since I got the Safari, I like it that much)
Only just getting into this beach detecting and am really enjoying it. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD2100,GPX5000, AT Pro, SD2100, Coinmaster, propointer, Safari, Whites Dual Field PI, Equinox 800

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
  • Liked:

Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 15:08 »
HI bicter.
Am not sure if you got my PM re the tornado.
Looks like I  will not have one available just yet.
I have an 18 inch Excelerator DD that I have repaired and wired to run on the safari but cable is too long to fit inside the safari shaft
I have not been motivated to shorten it..
Detects a 20 cent at 38cm at approx 70% gain.which is a few inches better than the 12.5 tornado which is not a huge increase on that size target but the ground coverage is good. It would be a pain to swing
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 15:10 by Adrian ss »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.

Offline bicter

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 22:08 »
Adrian,
No sign of a PM from you and no email advising of a pm.

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 22:43 »
OK thanks for that info. Looks like I have a PM  problem.
I can not send or receive. :(
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 07:39 by Adrian ss »

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 07:18 »
As per the title, I'm looking at getting a larger coil for beach work.

The intent is to get better ground coverage and improved depth.
Currently looking at either the Nel Thunder (14.5 x 10.5 @570g) or the Tornado (12 x13 @560g). There's a big price difference between the thunder A$385 v Tornado A$289. Prices from http://www.detectorsdownunder.com
Has anybody used the nel coils on a safari or an e-trac and can advise what sort of depth improvement I'd be looking at between the Thunder and the Tornado
The standard safari coil is 11".
Thanks in advance

G/Day bicter.

I am wondering if you have found the Safari to be a bit noisy over lightly mineralised inland type ground conditions; Mine is and actually sounds like it has no ground balance. But over the salt beach sand it is perfect???

Offline bicter

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 08:14 »
Hi Adrian,
I find the Safari is slightly noisier over some grounds but targets are generally clearly defined. 
I usually run in auto and have only recently started playing with the manual controls on the beach. When running in manual sensitivity, the machine can be noisy but turning sense down solves that. Not sure how much that affects depth though.
With auto I find the machine quietens down after a couple of minutes of swinging. I assume this is the ground balance algorithm getting a longer sampling period.

Offline bicter

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 13:14 »
Adrian,
Fuurther to my reply above, I have had one instance where the safari was particularly noisy away from the beach. It turned out to be a low battery. This was interesting as other times I got low battery warnings but not this time. I was using the supplied rechargeable battery pack and it's possible  I may have a cell on the way out.
The noise in the above instance was almost unbearable so I switched off and went home as I didn't have a spare battery pack and it may have been a coil failure after being wet at the beach 30 minutes prior.
Regards
Terry
P.S. I've just sent you a PM regarding Infiniums 😀

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 14:59 »
Yes the Safari is less noisy in Auto but at the sacrifice of depth.
My Sov XS is very much better over mineralised ground than the Safari.
I did receive your email. It refered to an Infinium on ebay and that you were not sure if my PM system was working.
That is all that is in the message.

Have answered your PM. Let me know if you received it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 15:09 by Adrian ss »

Offline bicter

• Bronze

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 15:31 »
Received PM and replied

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 16:56 »
Yaaa! Looks like my PM system is back to normal.

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 21:09 »
Hi Adrian,
I find the Safari is slightly noisier over some grounds but targets are generally clearly defined.
I usually run in auto and have only recently started playing with the manual controls on the beach. When running in manual sensitivity, the machine can be noisy but turning sense down solves that. Not sure how much that affects depth though.
With auto I find the machine quietens down after a couple of minutes of swinging. I assume this is the ground balance algorithm getting a longer sampling period.

Of the gold rings that I have found:

The Safari reads them as:

72%       9  to 11.......9 k  to 14 k
27%       18 to 36    18 k  to 24 k

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 22:37 by Adrian ss »

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2017, 13:54 »
Adrian,
Fuurther to my reply above, I have had one instance where the safari was particularly noisy away from the beach. It turned out to be a low battery. This was interesting as other times I got low battery warnings but not this time. I was using the supplied rechargeable battery pack and it's possible  I may have a cell on the way out.
The noise in the above instance was almost unbearable so I switched off and went home as I didn't have a spare battery pack and it may have been a coil failure after being wet at the beach 30 minutes prior.
Regards
Terry
P.S. I've just sent you a PM regarding Infiniums 😀

If you want a PI for the beach that is good on gold chains then the SDC 2300 or the ATX are hard to beat, with the ATX possibly having a slight edge over the SDC in ref to light weight gold chain. But over all you cannot beat a good qual high frequency  IB type with ground balance that can tune to wet salt. Like the Racers, Gold Bug Pro and similar. These tectas may not achieve the same depth as the PIs on coins but they will kill the PIs,FBS and BBS  on light weight  gold chains in wet or dry salt beach conditions.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 07:39 by Adrian ss »

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam