collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Are your old explorers really dead?  (Read 886 times)

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Are your old explorers really dead?
« on: December 28, 2017, 14:34 »
I remember reading about a few people that have had their explorers sitting around gathering dust and after charging their batteries up getting no response from the machine.

This happened to me recently and after charging the battery pack for a while, then loading it into the machine I press the power button, get a bit of a chirp but nothing fires up.  

Thinking I had the dreaded 'Stored Explorer' curse I looked into the contact springs which seemed fine then as I anticipate things getting serious I pull out my multi meter and mini screwdriver set.

First check was battery pack, plenty of charge....better read the fine print on the pack I think to myself and then I realised it is storing a bit higher than the battery spec....brain starts ticking over and I decide to drain a little of the voltage off the pack back within something like 10% of spec, drop it in and it fires up as though nothing was wrong with it.

Conclusion:
I figured that I have overcharged the battery pack, by how many hours I dont know, but since the charge pack on the Explorer doesnt actually indicate when the batteries are fully charged (just shows power on) I figure this may not be too hard to do and others have done the same (particularly with older units, these days we tend to set and forget and get back to it when we remember).
So if this happens to you, Check the voltage on the battery to see if is within about 10% of the specs as the machine, expecting a set voltage range, will prevent the machine from firing up to protect its circuitry until the voltage is within range again.

Hope this helps others out there that think they could have a completely dead machine lying around when it could well be a voltage range issue.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32288.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

Offline Sambo

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane, Queensland
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2021

• Total Badges: 43
    Eighth year Anniversary Fourpence ( Groat ) 5000 Posts Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary
Re: Are your old explorers really dead?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 08:35 »
Thanks for that, some good info to store in the back of the brain for when I eventually upgrade my Explorer and it starts to 'gather dust'.

It is annoying that the Minelab charger doesn't show when full charge is reached.

Sambo
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Teknetics Omega, Minelab Explorer II, Minelab Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: 1826 King George IV Penny ; 1843 QV Four Pence (Groat)

Offline Mick in Dubbo

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 19
    Eighth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 11:17 »
Thanks for the heads up goldnugget01. I tried firing up my SE a couple of months ago, when that happened. I thought the battery pack had gone bad. I had a spare pack that takes alkaline batteries, and it fired up OK. I’ll have to pull it out again and go for a hunt with it. Using the Garrett GTI atm.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GTI 1500 and X-Terra 70

Offline Findem

• Gold

0%
    • I live in: Lithgow NSW
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 137

• Total Badges: 33
    Eighth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 11:29 »
I thought you were talking about blokes like Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson, who I expect died a long time ago!
  • Detector(s) owned/used: AT Pro
  • Oldest find: 1797 cartwheel penny

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

70%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 147

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 12:14 »
Info above by gn01 is what make the forum worth being a member of!
There is no honour in fake memberships or postings ! ~ Trust and respect is earned!

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 13:39 »
I thought you were talking about blokes like Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson, who I expect died a long time ago!
I was thinking that myself after I wrote it....
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2017, 13:50 »
Info above by gn01 is what make the forum worth being a member of!
Thank You ivanll , I have not been busy lately on the detecting front so have had little to report but when I realised what happened to the machine and remembered others had fire up issues with their machines I figured I would share it.  
I know there are still people around the use Explorers (mine is a backup to the CTX) and would be a shame to have the machine binned for a simple fault/solution .

Offline robsue

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Canberra
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 17
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 14:59 »
Really useful info. How do I drain the overcharged battery then?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab Explorer SE, Musketeer Advantage
  • Oldest find: Queen Victoria Penny 1853

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam