collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Link to Youtube vid about old hidden shafts (Tarnagulla)  (Read 774 times)

Offline Detectist

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    66.67%
    • I live in: Canberra, ACT
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1840

• Total Badges: 40
    Badges: (View All)
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Coin of the year Returned an Item The Gold Ring Nugget Under 1 Ounce 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
Saw this link on Facebook

Not the first I've seen or heard about but something for people to be reminded of every now and then.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32402.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030, GPX5000, Deus
  • Oldest find: 1662-1722 Chinese coin, Cartwheel Penny not to mention GOLD!

Offline 14FNX

• Are you here as part of the problem? Or part of the solution?
  • Silver

70%
    • I live in: Logan, Queensland
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 343

• Total Badges: 20
    Wheat Three Pence Farthing Round 50 Cents Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Comm Penny 50 Posts The Gold Ring 10 Posts
Re: Link to Youtube vid about old hidden shafts (Tarnagulla)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 23:13 »
Sheeeeeet..........  Is that semi-circle on the right the other rim of the shaft?  And, what is keeping the surface dirt from just dropping down the shaft?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Own: E-trac, Quattro, Equinox 800, XP Mi-6 Pinpointer..
  • Oldest find: 1470’s Spanish Blanco
Best Finds:
1470’s Spanish coin.
Gothic Florin.
Cartwheel penny.
Groat.
1878 US Silver Dollar.

Bucket list:
Sovereign - half or full.

It's not just what you achieve in life: It's also what you overcome.

Offline 14FNX

• Are you here as part of the problem? Or part of the solution?
  • Silver

70%
    • I live in: Logan, Queensland
    • Photo crowd
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 343

• Total Badges: 20
    Wheat Three Pence Farthing Round 50 Cents Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Comm Penny 50 Posts The Gold Ring 10 Posts
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 23:25 »
It’s a stick? Amazing how your brain associates one thing to a thought. I was looking fo holes and associated the shape to the rim of a hole. Still wondering what held the plug up.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Own: E-trac, Quattro, Equinox 800, XP Mi-6 Pinpointer..
  • Oldest find: 1470’s Spanish Blanco

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 947

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 09:50 »
I was detecting at Maryborough (where i lost my wedding ring) and found a spot where a Wallaby had been happily bounding along and the ground had given away. I waited 12 months for the smell to go and went down and had a look.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Detectist

• Platinum

66.67%
    • I live in: Canberra, ACT
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1840

• Total Badges: 40
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Coin of the year Returned an Item The Gold Ring Nugget Under 1 Ounce 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 10:32 »
And - did you find gold?  

Not too deep - just a shaft or did it go off sideways?

• Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030, GPX5000, Deus
  • Oldest find: 1662-1722 Chinese coin, Cartwheel Penny not to mention GOLD!

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 19:25 »
It was like a cave underneath, large enough to hold a car. No gold though.

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 544

• Total Badges: 22
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 00:08 »
When I used to live at Vaughan Springs I used to go trecking in the gullies out the back of the caravan park and there was an area that trail bike riders used to have a bit of fun at.  One section had a couple of humps along the trail that they used to jump over with a flat section between them. One particular year I went for a treck through the area and the spot in between the two humps was opened up with maybe a 15 foot drop large enough to drop a small car in.  I guess you just never really know whats under your feet sometimes.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

Offline Thylacine

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: Qld
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5

• Total Badges: 21
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 15:09 »
What held the plug in? 

Usually just branches and logs, the old miners just covered the hole with whatever was on hand and then back filled a couple of feet. Why did the do this, well they didn't want to fall down a shaft, it was quick and everyone knew there was a shaft there that played out. Remember 160 years ago the diggers were as expedient as we are now, why waste time (money) and effort on a played out shaft, cover it and move on. Everyone knows that there was a shaft there right? They may have even put up a small sign to say so....

Over the years the sign fell down, rain would wash in excavated material and there would be little trace of the shaft. However over the years the branches rotted away and the plug that was able to support itself starts to collapse. The plug would have started to sag (underground) from the middle crumble and climbs to the top (looks like a dome from inside the shaft) till eventually it can't support itself anymore. 

When a body is found in a shaft, people ask 'Why would/did he go down there', sometimes it was curiosity, most probably the ground collapsed under them. If you out and about in the goldfields and you know that shafts have been dug there and you hear or feel (go with your feelings) the ground is hollow below you, it is. Stay away from depressions in the ground, look at the soil for indications that it has been disturbed. Only the 'known' shafts have been mapped and even less frequently fenced! 

Wandering around with the earphones on listening for that faint whisper of gold is great, but, do take the time to look up occasionally, observe where you are. Even the best GPS unit wont get you back to the car from the bottom of a 60' shaft, your phone won't work and with a couple of broken bones you won't be climbing out either.

• Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett's Master Hunter 7 ADS & ACE 350

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 19:17 »
A little similar was when i was prospecting on private property just out of Dalesford.
After 4” of rain over night i noticed i was sinking into the ground. The owner said that i shouldn’t stand there as i was on a 400 ft shaft that he had put a tree across and covered up. He used it to run his sink water into.

Offline Grumpy1

• Bronze

16.67%
    • I live in: Mount Helen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 121

• Total Badges: 25
    Play It Forward Second year Anniversary 100 Posts The TON Cricket Buckle 50 Posts Comm Penny Nugget Under 1 Ounce Wheat Three Pence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Sixpence
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 19:52 »
Can relate to Rays experience,used to park at spot in Amherst many years ago all shallow diggings.Went back last year a big mesh cover over my parking spot.I kid you not the shaft was over 100 feet deep.

Cheers.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab Gpx 5000 Ctx 3030
  • Oldest find: 1662-1722 Chlnese coin 1869 Sixpence

xx
A Link to some links.

Started by Rwork on General Gold Chatter

0 Replies
Last post October 26, 2012, 09:31
by Rwork
xx
Specimen Calculator - Link

Started by steadyon on General Gold Chatter