collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  nothing exciting, but opinion welcome  (Read 278 times)

Offline tassie

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 2
    Badges: (View All)
    10 Posts First Post
nothing exciting, but opinion welcome
« on: March 11, 2018, 22:20 »
So I've not had much luck finding anything of monetary value, the odd $2 coin at a beach, so I decided to swing the MD over a relatively recent "archeological" site, where there was a structure built in the 1960's then removed some years later.

The first two photos:

are of a slab of concrete which I assume originally were at or close to ground level, with possibly a cut off water pipe protruding at the top? I'm guessing copper water pipe as I would think if it were metal it would be all rusted out by now. Curiously it appears to have a secondary 'sheaf' around it with two extra bits on the bottom left and right.

About two metres away was another concrete slab, with what again appears to be a cut off pipe, this time no sheaf or extra bits:

Please indulge me, I'm curious about very minor details:
- are these simply water pipes? If not, what theory as to what else they could be?
- why the extra sheaf and bits on one and not the other?
- theory on why the distance between them?

If copper, surprised the MD picked them up.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32612.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ordered, awaiting a bh tracker 4

Offline blueyonder

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Avalon NSW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 655

• Total Badges: 35
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny The Gold Ring Rising Sun Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts
Re: nothing exciting, but opinion welcome
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 07:27 »
I doubt whether they are water pipes as such..maybe part of a downpipe system or for ballistrade posts. What diameter are the holes? I also doubt whether they are copper..more like cast iron. If your MD doesn't detect copper,I would trade it in..cheers..Dave
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Infinium LS,Garrett AT PRO
  • Oldest find: 1842 Queen Victoria young head silver half crown

Offline tassie

• Copper

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 2
    10 Posts First Post
Re: nothing exciting, but opinion welcome
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 08:14 »
I doubt whether they are water pipes as such..maybe part of a downpipe system or for ballistrade posts. What diameter are the holes? I also doubt whether they are copper..more like cast iron. If your MD doesn't detect copper,I would trade it in..cheers..Dave
Thanks Dave.
I should have put a size reference next to the holes such as a coin. From what I remember, they were not larger than a 10 cent coin. I hadn't thought of possibly ballistrade posts. When viewing directly from above, the one with the extra bits was angled, the other looked to be straight up. I had wondered whether they could have been extra tie down points for rope cables for a wooden flag pole. The mind comes up with all sorts of possibilities!
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ordered, awaiting a bh tracker 4

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything