collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  TDI pro playing up  (Read 623 times)

Offline philbo

• Bronze

• Fill this by Posting :)
    16.67%
    • I live in: Dapto NSW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12

• Total Badges: 21
    Badges: (View All)
    Third year Anniversary Gold Ring Shootout Winner Full Sovereign Second year Anniversary The TON The Gold Ring Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Returned an Item Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts
TDI pro playing up
« on: March 21, 2018, 08:25 »
Hi guys I reckon something isn't right with my tdi pro it is going nuts if I use the ground balance and the corse dial is active even when the fine is switched off and if I move the corse even a little bit the detector goes crazy. can anyone recommend someone to have a look at it for me. 
Regards Phill. 

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32652.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett groundhog, whites coinmaster, Whites TDIpro, garrett gti -1500,garrett AT pro,garrett sea hunter MK2, AKA Signum MFT, Minelab equinox 800
  • Oldest find: RELIC: 1884 silver hair clip COIN: 1800 to 1820 George 3 penny

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 948

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
Re: TDI pro playing up
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 12:21 »
Not sure but i think Bendigo Gold has a repairman that may have done Whites. I heard Kevin from Minelab was also going to be doing some service work for David.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Way2Go

• Copper

23.33%
    • I live in: Cherrybrook
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6

• Total Badges: 7
    One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 15:53 »
While I have not had this issue myself, I have had the Gent down at GoldSearch in Victoria provide advise with a different problem I had. I am sure that if you call them they could help. They sell Whites detectors and the Manufacturer in the US recommends them when purchasing Whites products.

If you have more than one coil, have you tried a second coil? Does it have the same problem?

Are all the terminals clear / clean ?
Has the unit been exposed to wet weather or excessive dust? I recall a friend with a GMT whom had a build-up of dust on the circuit board which caused him some issues. All disappeared when the duct was removed in his case.

I guess you could always ask the manufacture (Whites US) for assistance in identifying the issue. They may have had a similar issue present in the past. If you send them a message in Australian Time, They should answer over night.

PM me if you need.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V/SAT, Minlab Quattro, Whites GMT, Whites TDI Pro OZ
  • Oldest find: 1861 coin

Offline philbo

• Bronze

16.67%
  • Liked:

Third year Anniversary Gold Ring Shootout Winner Full Sovereign Second year Anniversary The TON The Gold Ring Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Returned an Item Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 07:45 »
The unit has not been exposed to water or dust but has had a a serious dose of excessive heat. I spoke with Dean from goldsearch and he thinks that it may be the ground balance circuit so l'm getting one of those to see if that's the problem. I just hope that it's not the motherboard as they're not producing them anymore and haven't got any stock. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett groundhog, whites coinmaster, Whites TDIpro, garrett gti -1500,garrett AT pro,garrett sea hunter MK2, AKA Signum MFT, Minelab equinox 800

Offline nickel_n

• Copper

13.33%
    • I live in: Melbourne
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 4
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2018, 14:28 »
The unit has not been exposed to water or dust but has had a a serious dose of excessive heat. I spoke with Dean from goldsearch and he thinks that it may be the ground balance circuit so l'm getting one of those to see if that's the problem. I just hope that it's not the motherboard as they're not producing them anymore and haven't got any stock.

It could be that some of the solder joints on the boards gone "dry" and don’t made good contact.
That could happen because of the heat.
Find someone in your area with proven laptop computer repair skills that has a surface mount rework station, and ask him to rework the board. If it just dry joints they will fix the problem. They need to have experience reworking surface mount boards not necessarily metal detector boards.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites MXT All Pro,DFX,XLT,Spectrum,EAGLE SL, SD2000,GT16000,Seahunter Mark II

Offline Way2Go

• Copper

23.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 11:56 »
I saw something on the Equinox the other day, which I though could be a potential issue. The Modern Mobile Phone. When on in normal mode near a detector (in the pocket or hand) the detector was going wild with signals. When turned onto flight mode a few moments later the detector started to work properly.

Have you tried using the detector away from your phone or other EMI in the area?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites V/SAT, Minlab Quattro, Whites GMT, Whites TDI Pro OZ

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 948

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 13:30 »
Re above. The  phone was out of a signal area and searching. I guess it tries to Ping the towers.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline philbo

• Bronze

16.67%
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 12:44 »
I contacted Dean at goldsearch Australia and he said that it sounds like the ground balance pots so I ordered them from him and they just plug into the motherboard so it was an easy job to replace them. and when I turned the detector on all was sweet so problem fixed. he said that they can wear out and cause issues with no notice. it cost me  $14 plus  $10 postage so I'm so glad that that was the problem. 

Offline Way2Go

• Copper

23.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 14:42 »
Great to hear that the problem is solved.

This will be a good one to keep in the memory banks, just in case it occurs to me or someone else has this issue.

Lucky the fix was not to expensive.

Good luck with your detecting.

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything