collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Gum tree predator ~ Scammer  (Read 961 times)

Offline Stuart SS

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    70%
    • I live in: Atherton Tablelands, Utopia, FNQ
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 238

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Gum tree predator ~ Scammer
« on: March 21, 2018, 16:00 »
Word of warning ~

I ran an advert on gum tree to sell my  2009 Getz ~ yesterday and was instantly approached by one Razi Fahardy
We were at the point of supplying the information he was asking but I was uncomfortable with the speed and sight unseen  intent of purchase~

So I  googled his name ~ the  fag  does not even use a forged ID!!

His uses the same name and  does not  question the price ~ 

His wife Amalia contacts one first ~ 

They even use the exact  same dialogue as others regarding his being in the military and wants to buy the car for his graduating son ~

How can this person be permitted to run rampart  across the net ~ and is his  scam to  forge a pay pal  invoice and then pick the car up and then I have lost my car ~ ?

"From: raza farhady
Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2018 8:25
To: Stuart
Subject: Re: Getz

Thanks for the response,I would have loved to call you directly but due to the nature of my work, I work with the The Australian Army Corps. we do not have access to phone at the moment,which is why I contacted you with internet messaging facility.

i am buying this for my first son who just graduated on top of his class at Aviation University  ,I want it to be the perfect graduation gift for him and am making it a surprise package ,Does it have any history I should be aware of? and why are you selling if you don't mind my asking. I don't mind adding an extra $200.00 for you just to take down the  posting..I am already in talks with freighters that will handle the pickup and delivery .I will really appreciate if you can email more info

Due to the nature of my work i am a very busy man working all day, am a (Operating officer) am presently on-board, i don't have access to my bank account online as am not with my credit card details here but i have my ANZ bank account link up with my PayPal account so I will be paying you through Account to your nominated bank account or better still is if you have a PayPal account ,please get back to me with your BSB and account details or PayPal account so i can proceed with the payment and contact the courier agent who will come to pick it up and deliver it in NT for my son .Await your reply."

I was instantly  suspect ~ but went along`with it ~  to the point of being just far too suspicious ~  and thankfully  stopped short of supplying details ~ I smelt FISH !!

Be wary of that name folks ~

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32653.0
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 16:45 by Stuart SS »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab CTX 3030 + Garrett AT Pro ~ Noktar Pin Pointer.
  • Oldest find: Queen Victoria 1887 Jubilee Maltese Cross + 1863 Penny ~( "Quite a few " ~ Rising Suns ) ~

Offline TonyW

• Copper

16.67%
    • I live in: Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34

• Total Badges: 3
    50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
Re: Gum tree predator ~ Scammer
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 16:58 »
There is a red flag right there

I work with the The Australian Army Corps

Offline Stuart SS

• Platinum

70%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 17:10 »
Exactly mate ~

I was suss immediately on this one too ~ Australian Army Corps.. ??????????????

Not sure why ~ but I have dealt with these scum bags before  and I always "play " with them ~

But what made it even more suss was the coment he suggested he was  confined to deck~ unquote~ 

Point being if we can alert  anyone else~  and they can "play" with his head ~ well then GOOD!! LOL
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 17:14 by Stuart SS »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab CTX 3030 + Garrett AT Pro ~ Noktar Pin Pointer.
  • Oldest find: Queen Victoria 1887 Jubilee Maltese Cross + 1863 Penny ~( "Quite a few " ~ Rising Suns ) ~

Offline cruiser1

• Copper

53.33%
    • I live in: Perth
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 229

• Total Badges: 5
    Wheat Three Pence 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 17:42 »
Thanks for the warning Stuart.I had a similar one where I was buying a caravan and living in Perth,and the bloke said he was out of the country and the caravan located in a compound at Darwin.If I paid money into his account he would arrange to freight the van down to me.The picture of the van looked great and a super cheap price had me suspicious.I emailed him and said I had a copper mate who lived in Darwin and would gladly inspect the van for me.That was the end of the emails, never heard from him again.

Cheers

Phil
  • Detector(s) owned/used: gpx5000 & gt17000-15000-3000-Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: 1865 sixpence

Offline ANT1967

• If it sounds crappy - still dig it... !!
  • Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Victoria for now ......
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2663

• Total Badges: 38
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Coin Of the Month Winner Find of the Month Winner The Gold Ring Nugget Under 1 Ounce Rising Sun The TON 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 17:50 »
Must be scammer week .......

I have my caravan on the caravan sales website for 50 K

It’s been on there for about 4 weeks .
A bloke rings me today ( I have his mobile no . ) says he is from WA
We talk about the van etc.
Then he says if I offer you 48 K today I will deposit $15 K then pay rest when I pick it up ?
I asked him to fly over & check it out & I would pay some of the flight & take off the price etc ...
He said , I’m a bit pushed for time 
But he also said he is retired ?
I said thanks , I will think about it & call you back 
Then he kept going in , it’s a cash transaction , I will deposit 15K & cash cheque on pick up
He said he was 69 but didn’t sound that old .
If you were going to spend 50K on something , I would want to see it ......??
  • Detector(s) owned/used: - Owned - Sovereign GT, - Own - GPX5000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: 1857 Gothic Florin , 1858 Holloway Token , Gold Nuggets .
Anywhere , Everywhere , Nowhere & 
Somewhere are the same place  !!

Offline Goodbeard

• Platinum

13.33%
    • I live in: North Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 679

• Total Badges: 25
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 18:08 »
I had one scammer contact me from the US when i had a gold chain listed for $5000.  I strung him along for a bit then suggested I'd be in LA in a day or two.  I could pop over to his place .  Strange i never heard from him again...
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030 - Xtrerra 305 - Xterra 705 - Garret pro pointer - Tesoro Silver Umax - Garratt ACE 250
  • Oldest find: 1806 George III Penny

Offline Count Pierre

• Platinum

0%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 406

• Total Badges: 35
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 18:55 »
Same here...selling a caravan. My "buyer" worked on an off shore oil rig.

Same senario with Paypal etc.

CP
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites DFX + 5 Coils ,Whites MX5
  • Oldest find: 1817 George 3 Shilling
If I can't handle it, I'll go & have a few beers, or a red wine....or both.... & go from there!

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

16.67%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20

Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 20:50 »
I had a message on my mobile from a guy in  NT. for my caravan with the same story only thing he was retired from the Army and he would send down a courier to pick it up and the same crap with the payments and this was on Gumtree. 

Beeepppnnn.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Vallon Whites v3i, Dual Field e-trac, Quattro, Exterra 70, Sovereign xs, Whites Goldmaster, Whites p.i. Minelab 2100, Aquasport, Garrett a2b, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett bfo, Bridge Wright, Bounty Hunter rb7, Bounty Hunter rb5, Whites 6000d, Whites 6db
Horse sense is the result of stable thinking.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 942

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2018, 21:06 »
Wanna buy a bridge?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Stuart SS

• Platinum

70%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 00:46 »
Word from Gum Tree 

As I said they can ban his email but how this works "his wife" contacted me " and  gave me his emails address as he was  posted  and not contactable~ but funny straight up ~ he replies !  SSSmell fish

( My bro in law is a big wheeler dealer in cars, being a car club enthusiast ~   and he had a bloke in the USA contact about buying his boat  and a mate would pick it up  as he was passing through town !!! ` Warwick lives in central West NSW !) 

"Hi Stuart,
Thanks for your email and for bringing this to our attention.

You're right to be suspicious. Please cease contact with this person. We have also taken actions on our end to try and prevent this person from contacting members through our reply system.

If you have received a fake PayPal invoice email, please be sure to forward it directly to spoof@gumtree.com.au so that the information it contains can be assessed properly by our system. It’s an automated email system so you will not receive a response back, but if you require any more information please feel free to respond here instead.
To stay safe when using Gumtree always remember to:

•Only trade with local buyers who you can meet in person
•Do not engage in overseas transactions

•Do not send any money upfront
Here is an article in our help pages that explains how such fraudulent requests work:
https://help.gumtree.com.au/AU/articles/en_US/KB_Article/I-received-an-SMS-asking-me-to-respond-on-email-How-do-I-know-if-this-is-legitimate-AU/?q=sms+fraud&l=en_US&fs=Search&pn=1&vgroup1=PKB&c=PKB%3A&s=
Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Kind Regards,
Jen

Gumtree Australia
http://www.gumtree.com.au

Offline nickel_n

• Copper

13.33%
    • I live in: Melbourne
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 4
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 07:03 »

They are around at least since 2011.
I had a very similar stories when I try to sell my $750 car on the trading post.
I thought was worth keeping the emails just in case.
I was offered as much as $8000 for it
So here they are

First from Jamie Rowney

Thanks for the swift response...I am willing to offer you $1,750 for it.due to the nature of my job and location...i will not be able to come for inspection,am a very busy type as i work long hours everyday,i have gone through your advertisement and i am satisfied with it.
As for the payment..i will be paying you via the fastest and secure way to pay online(PayPal).
I have a private courier agent that will come for the pick up after the payment have been made ...so no shipping included.
You can now send me your PayPal email so i can pay in right away and also include your address in your reply.If you don't have a paypal account, you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com.au and sign up. its very easy.I await your reply asap.

The second from Richard Pall

Thanks for your reply asap over my request,im also willing to offer you $8,000 as my offer cos i ve so much interest in
 it,i will be very glad if it can be sell to me and my offer been considered,any offer comes after just
 tell/inform them that it has been sold.i will not be able to come for an inspection as ive my
 private pick-up agent who will be coming for the pick-up and inspection of it cos im a very busy type who work long
 hours everyday,ive gone through the advert,im ok and satisfied with it,so i think that shouldnt be a problem
 so you dont have to be worried about that.
 Sorry i will be paying you via the fastest,secure and easier way to pay online{paypal}If you don't have a paypal account,
 you can easily set up one...log on to www.paypal.com.au   and sign up. its very easy....so after payment have been completed
 you can release it as my agent will be coming for pickup ..so no shipping included...

The third from Jennifer Harel

Thank you for your quick response,i would have love to call you but
 due to the nature of my job as a Marine enginner,they have restricted
 our call but only internet are allow,please do get back to me with
 paypal invoice so i can pay you immediately.i wont be able to see it
 but i have a mover who will be coming for inspection and pick up after
 the cleared payment.
 If you dont have a paypal account,kindly log on to
www.paypal.com.au and
 set it up,Paypal is the largest and the most secure online transaction
 and you can depend on them.
 Regards.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites MXT All Pro,DFX,XLT,Spectrum,EAGLE SL, SD2000,GT16000,Seahunter Mark II

Online FSH00

• Platinum
  • Work to live don't live to work

6.67%
    • I live in: QLD
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1699

• Total Badges: 41
    Sixth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring The TON Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 11:23 »
Don't know how any one can let goods go unless the money is in the hand or bank account ??? if they pay by paypal the goods still don't go any where untill the money is transferred to a bank account, invoices & receipt of payment just don't do it.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: To many is never enough
  • Oldest find: Vicky (bun) penny 18??
Tally: To old to keep count now

Offline Stuart SS

• Platinum

70%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2018, 12:04 »
I agree FSH ~

But My  bro in law tells em they  issue a forged Pay pal invoice and if and when they  put the money in the Paypal account ~ they can  withdraw it under circumstances ~ which make sno sense to me  ??????

If some one  says they putting  serious money into  my Paypal account I am going to watch it like a predator ~ and as soon as it is registered I am going to transfer it immediately ~ 

So who can actually tell us what is the sting ~?  ( Have we all caught onto the  scam and no one has actually beeen stung? ) 

As suggested who is going  hand over the  goods based on a forged Paypal invoice and not check or transfer the money to a safe harbour !!? 

Another 24 hours later and I now heard  nothing more   as to why I have stopped  replying...

My Bro inlaw 

Stuart, i have lots of these scammers when selling on gumtree. 

Anyone contacting you through gmail is more than likely a scammer. 

They insist on paying with paypal. Then they organise someone to pick it up. 

Then when you check your account the money is gone. Happened to a guy here a few years ago, the buyer says my brother is passing through Temora tonight, 

They put the money in your account, money was there when the boat was picked up, next morning no money there. 
They can reverse the transaction within a certain time frame it seems. 

Don't accept any form of electronic transfer. 

Wok.

Ironic that  I did my CTX purchase exclusively thru  emails and Gum tree ` from Kalgoorlie ~  Not a problem ~ 

Even  involved emails to and from the Finders Keepers  shop in Kal. 

Offline Stuart SS

• Platinum

70%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 13:26 »
Holy Semolli ~ 

We just discovered a  real clanger on Paypal and Gumtree 

I  just sent an inquiry to GumTree  regarding this  BS ~

Additionally in our research on this issue we have now discovered that  GumTree  has no  buyer guarantee policy and that  Paypal has since 2017  stopped  buyer protection  on GumTree purchases ~

This has  certainly put a serious downer/  concern  on dealing with both Paypal and  GumTree ~ What is the  company recommendations on buyer security ?

I  now have serious reservation of even dealing with  GumTree and even  Paypal  outside of EBay ~ 

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/328801

Offline nickel_n

• Copper

13.33%
    • I live in: Melbourne
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 4
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 21:39 »
Don't know how any one can let goods go unless the money is in the hand or bank account ??? if they pay by paypal the goods still don't go any where untill the money is transferred to a bank account, invoices & receipt of payment just don't do it.

Could very well be that the paypal link they provide its just a look a like where when you log on they get your name and password and then have access to your real paypal account.
I was never game enough to fallow the link.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 21:44 by nickel_n »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites MXT All Pro,DFX,XLT,Spectrum,EAGLE SL, SD2000,GT16000,Seahunter Mark II

Online FSH00

• Platinum
  • Work to live don't live to work

6.67%
    • I live in: QLD
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1699

• Total Badges: 41
    Sixth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring The TON Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 06:05 »
Could very well be that the paypal link they provide its just a look a like where when you log on they get your name and password and then have access to your real paypal account.
I was never game enough to fallow the link.
That's another good point, I never follow the links just go chase up the web sites your self.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: To many is never enough
  • Oldest find: Vicky (bun) penny 18??

Offline ANT1967

• If it sounds crappy - still dig it... !!
  • Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Victoria for now ......
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2663

• Total Badges: 38
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Coin Of the Month Winner Find of the Month Winner The Gold Ring Nugget Under 1 Ounce Rising Sun The TON 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 08:16 »
C O D

Bank transaction face to face 

Otherwise ...... on ya bike

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 09:47 by ANT1967 »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: - Owned - Sovereign GT, - Own - GPX5000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: 1857 Gothic Florin , 1858 Holloway Token , Gold Nuggets .

Offline Stuart SS

• Platinum

70%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 11:29 »
With you Ant ~ 

And agree FSH ~

We NEVER  use email  short cuts via any (important)  email to even  supposed credible  web  addresses ~ especially those  related to  banking. 

In fact any  such links we  go direct to the web  site via our own  established  links ~ Never via  an  email  link ~ 

Never `

In facts banks for example  advocate that they will never send you an email  making requests or supplying  links which are related to  logging into your account. 

( If I recall  though  not so many years ago they DID supply such  links via email and obviously  cleaned up their business practices for this very reason!)

But has anyone fessed up  to being actually stung ~ even here on site  ~ after all we played along  until the 12th hour ~ hour/ minute ~ and never committed to supplying  account details ~ 

BTW ~ we have not heard  any more from this  shyster  ~ 

clip
Special Christmas tree for KG1

Started by goldnugget01 on Everything Off Topic

0 Replies
Last post December 25, 2017, 12:05
by goldnugget01

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam