collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Lost and Found  (Read 655 times)

Offline Ravvin

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    20%
    • I live in: Wesley Vale, Tasmania
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107

• Total Badges: 3
    Badges: (View All)
    One year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post
Lost and Found
« on: April 08, 2018, 15:45 »
Well, I had a bit of fun today.
I got a message from my sister about 9 last night saying a friend had forwarded a Facebook post to her about a local losing her car keys on a nearby beach while walking her dog. She asked if I would come and have a bit of a search with her.
She got a few more details from the person who lost the keys and we all met at the beach at 10 this morning. I had my CTX 3030 and my sister had my Bounty Hunter Quickdraw II.
The lady who lost her keys, Jenny, said it was a single car key with a chip in it that deactivates the car immobiliser. There was also a 2 button fob for the central locking and it was all on a long braided rope lanyard that was just a bit too small to fit over her head.
She had held the rope lanyard in her hand along with the leashes of her 2 dogs and walked approximately 1km down the beach and back. She only realised she had lost them when she was almost back at the car. There were a couple of times where the dogs had pulled the leashes out of her hand and run off, and she figured it may have been dropped then. She had spent a couple of hours searching last night until it got too dark. She also had walked down the beach at the water's edge and had come back along the dry sand at the high tide line and was sure she still had them when she turned at the far end of the beach. This was good as it meant we probably only had a strip about 3m wide to search. At 1km long.
Our beaches around here are either all shingle, or sand over buried seaweed and shingle. We figured if they had dropped on the dry sand above the high tide line, they would be easy to spot. If they had dropped on the sand below the high tide line, the tide would have rolled them into the line of seaweed right at the edge of the dry sand.
My sister is left handed, so we worked with her on my right and slightly ahead so we covered as much ground as possible with a narrow overlap. Seeing as they had only been lost the night before and had only the single high tide since, they should be very shallow. I set my CTX 3030 in a full open mode and we started down the beach.
I kept getting distracted with lots of signals. Most were deep at 18 to 25cm deep, so I could ignore them. The problem was that this beach has a longshore current, which carries junk like aluminium tins along the length of the beach from the mouth of the river. Every couple of steps I was getting signals at 1 or 2cm that I had to check out. It turned out that most were small pieces of very worn aluminium, but I also found dozens of sections of fine wire that I realised were the bits left after a sparkler had burnt out. These tangled in the seaweed and took a bit to spot.
I did get a couple of deep signals that I actually recovered as they sounded very different to what I was commonly finding. One was an old electroplated silver tablespoon and the other was what I think is a 20c piece that was put on the nearby railway line.

Both were found at approximately 20cm, which is where the sand ended and the small pebbles and shingle started.
I can just make out part of the 2 on the 20c coin. I didn't realise it was actually a coin at first, until I saw the milling on the edge.

We worked right to the far end of the beach where she had turned and were halfway back when we stopped to poke at an odd shaped plastic thing that had washed up. As we moved off, my sister got a mid-tone signal, right at the edge of the damp sand. Her machine only has 3 tones. Low is usually iron or really large pieces of aluminium or junk, mid tones are usually modern coins and high tones are silver and non-ferrous, high conductivity metals like copper or brass.
She kicked some seaweed away and spotted an odd black thing like a small shark egg case. When she flicked it over, we realised it was the key fob with 2 rubber buttons. The rope lanyard was totally wrapped up in the seaweed. She dug it out and yelled out to Jenny, who had wandered further down the beach. She was pretty happy. :)

After she settled down I explained about the forum here and asked if I could get a pic to put with my post and she was ok with that.

The fob and key seem to be waterproof and it would have been right at the high tide line, so she is pretty confidant that it will still work. She wasn't really worried about the fob, as she can unlock and open the doors with a key, but the key itself has a chip that the immobiliser needs to detect before you can start the car.
Before I even got home, I got sent a pic of her new Facebook post.

My sister really wants to get into detecting, but is more interested in finding gold. She said that detecting beaches feels like aimless wandering, whereas going somewhere with the purpose of finding something for someone was much more interesting. I think she just needs to find a few pre decimal coins and relics. That will get her fired up.

Greg.

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32715.0

Offline mike33

• Bronze

33.33%
    • I live in: Nerang. gold Coast. Qld.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 956

• Total Badges: 16
    Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Lost and Found
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 21:50 »
Great job there, gives you a good feeling when you can help someone out like that.
 Mike.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: C&G Wildcat. Whites 6000D. Tesoro Stingray Tesoro Cortes. Tesoro Sand Shark
  • Oldest find: 1800 penny

Offline kg1

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Melb Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1291

• Total Badges: 21
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 06:31 »
Great story and a great result....well done guys.:)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: xterra70

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 949

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 07:40 »
A good story that would have taken some time to put together. I hope the electronics still worked.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Ravvin

• Copper

20%
  • Liked:

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 16:48 »
Thanks all.
I haven't heard back yet whether it still worked or not, but apparently she is insisting on giving my sister a reward, even though she tried to refuse. Looks like it will be some pear cider. :)

Rwork, the story just came out as I worked back through the day's events. No real thought went into it. ;D
If you ever want to see some long, detailed reports, you should check out my rebuild thread on my old ex-Army truck. 180-971 F1 Crane Truck
That would put most people to sleep pretty quickly.

Greg
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, Minelab CTX3030

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 949

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 17:28 »
I think there might be one or two of them at the old RAAF site here at Lake Boga. A friend owns the old base town site and there is something similar out in the paddock.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Ferntree Gully,Victoria.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 350

• Total Badges: 32
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 12:36 »
Terrific story Ravvin, never been in that situation myself but I would like to think I could respond in the same way........cheers Colin.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Groundhog,SD2000,XTERRA 705,Garrett Seahunter, Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Mojave
  • Oldest find: Sixpence 1835
sent from my OL keyboard using 2 fingers

Offline Ravvin

• Copper

20%
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 17:33 »
Well, Jenny contacted my sister today and dropped off some cider and chocolates, which was cool, but unnecessary.
Apparently the key and fob are sealed really well as they both still work.

I'll have to go back sometime and see what all those contacts were at 20 to 25cm. High conductivity and low iron, going by the screen, so I am betting much of it is weathered pieces of aluminium beer cans that were carried down the river and along the beach by the longshore current. The depth is very consistent. The few places that I dug down were clean sand to 20cm and then a solid layer of small pebbles. I guess the metal bits were either deposited after a storm and then buried by sand deposited by another storm, as its about a metre vertically above the high tide line.
I have a good stainless spade that is really good in the sand and just the right length to drag in my off hand. Easier than my scoop if the finds are deeper and the beach has a lot of pebbles.

Greg.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II, Minelab CTX3030

Offline cruiser1

• Copper

43.33%
    • I live in: Perth
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 231

• Total Badges: 5
    Wheat Three Pence 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 20:35 »
Great story and ending ravine.It would have been a very expensive exercise to get them replaced.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: gpx5000 & gt17000-15000-3000-Equinox 800
  • Oldest find: 1865 sixpence

xx
Lost and found award?

Started by DigDig on General Detecting Chatter

11 Replies
Last post February 27, 2013, 21:51
by magpie
xx
Lost and found on Rotty

Started by blueyonder on General Detecting Chatter

0 Replies