collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Added MI-6 to the collection  (Read 681 times)

Offline TonyW

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    13.33%
    • I live in: Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34

• Total Badges: 3
    Badges: (View All)
    50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
Added MI-6 to the collection
« on: April 29, 2018, 07:03 »
My new fresh out of the box Minelab Pro find was playing up a lot on my last trip, it was failing to turn on, only 2 beeps instead of 3, eventually it would fire up after about 6 tries, but its frustrating. The Profind is new, but i have had it sitting in the box for about 4+ years waiting for my old old Profind to crap out, that one was still going strong when i sold it with my CTX.

Time for a new pointer and relegate the Pro Find to backup duties, so i decided seeing as i am using a Deus i may as well get a pinpointer to match and at $40 off on special from Detectorist.com.au the decision was easy.

Haven had a chance to use it in earnest yet, but this is one feels and looks like a very solid piece of kit. Another learning curve is on the way as it has sooo much more to it than any other pinpointer i have had and it integrating wireless with the machine means i don't have to take the headphones off to hear it.

Heres hoping for a swearing free few years ;D

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32797.0
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 07:10 by TonyW »

Offline roy cobb

• Silver
  • I live in Sawyers Gully NSW

80%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 156

• Total Badges: 24
    Farthing Nugget Under 1 Ounce Sixpence One year Anniversary Find of the Month Winner Roo Penny Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
Re: Added MI-6 to the collection
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 07:35 »
Let us know how it goes and I have a MI 4 in the post should arrive  mid next week so I will have  some work ahead as well
Roy

Thanks Clegy 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 07:44 by roy cobb »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelad Eureka gold X terra 705 GPX 4000
  • Oldest find: 1614 to 1625 Farthing
Minelab GPX 4000 as well as Minelab Eurka gold with coilteck coils pinpointer Xterra 705 dual pack

Offline TonyW

• Copper

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 07:48 »
I have charged it and will pair it up today, i will try and get onto the beach next weekend for a hunt.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus
  • Oldest find: gold

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 947

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 08:17 »
Is the M1 a waterproof unit?
 I would send back the other unit with an explanation about storage.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline TonyW

• Copper

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 11:22 »
Yes Ray waterproof to 20ft/ 6meters

Funny thing is the Minelab is currently firing up 1st time, maybe it doesn't like the wireless Deus, it never bothered the old Pro find at all, it used to be the Profind annoyed my 4500, so who knowes .

Offline TonyW

• Copper

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 16:26 »
A few things i like so far on the MI6 pinpointer

A Rechargeable Lithium Polymer battery Up to 90 hours per charge, just plugged it in and it was done, no more 9v batteries.

The sturdy clip on the holster spins 360° for a number of mounting options.

To pair it with the Deus took about 10 seconds

Can now access all the controls for the pinpointer via the control

I then left the pinpointer outside turned off and hit the Research button on my control interface, i could then hear it beeping away in the distance, great if you leave it behind or lose it whilst detecting.

Locked on to the pinpointer

Everything worked as it should, i could hear the pinpointer outside chirping away. Anyone that ever dropped or left a pointer behind will know the feeling of oh no i hope i find it, they are too expensive to lose. The Pro find will chirp away if i left it for too long, but it had to be left on, so its a great option to have that the MI6 can be off when you search for it and will come back on to help you track it down.

Offline Xlii

• Copper

26.67%
    • I live in: South Australia
    • Xlii's Metal Detecting Blog
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88

• Total Badges: 4
    Farthing Full Sovereign 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 18:47 »
You've made an excellent choice.  I used to swear by the carrot and whilst I still think it's a great pin pointer - it was causing interference on the deus which was a bit irritating.  

Took a while to get used to the MI-6 but now I don't think I could use another!
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, Garret Ace 250
  • Oldest find: 1797 (cartwheel penny)

Offline TonyW

• Copper

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 05:29 »
My 1st pinpointer was a Garrett, one of the black ones, i bought it about 2010, it lasted about 6 months, i then bought the Pro find and a backup, when i bought my CTX. I actually sold my old Pro find with my 4500 as part of the deal last year.

Hoping to get a bit more than a few months out of this one :D i will use it first time on the beach this Saturday, i want to give the Deus a bit of a beach test as well.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

100%
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 147

• Total Badges: 25
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 10:56 »

I thought the XP Deus had frequency adjust to suit the environment in which it is used.  ???
There is no honour in fake memberships or postings ! ~ Trust and respect is earned!

Offline TonyW

• Copper

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 19:18 »
3 hours on the beach today, well stupid is as stupid does, i unpaired the headphones from the pin pointer  before i hit the beach, then couldnt for the life of me remember how to put it back, so i hunted without them paired until i got home and duh Mr Stupid had it all bum about, all good, they work now and i wont forget that lil trick.

The pinponter worked well on its own, as did the Dues on dry sand, not too keen on the wet sand with the Deus, but thats all for another day.

So its back to learning more about the MI-6, quite a learning curve on this thing.

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Ferntree Gully,Victoria.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 350

• Total Badges: 32
    Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 19:35 »
Ha ha, don't worry Tony, I have a pinpointer with 2 buttons, I forget every time , that's why I like the ones with 1 button, on a side note I had a thought that Deus v4.1 had an improved program for wet beach sand?........cheers Colin.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Groundhog,SD2000,XTERRA 705,Garrett Seahunter, Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Mojave
  • Oldest find: Sixpence 1835
sent from my OL keyboard using 2 fingers

Offline TonyW

• Copper

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 19:48 »
Ha ha, don't worry Tony, I have a pinpointer with 2 buttons, I forget every time , that's why I like the ones with 1 button, on a side note I had a thought that Deus v4.1 had an improved program for wet beach sand?........cheers Colin.
Hi Colin
i didnt give it enough time on the wet sand to really give an opinion other than it was chattering away a lot, and i wasnt in the mood for it, there is probably an easy fix which i will look into. It still read out a clean target no problems but i decided to stay on the dry sand, my old Excalibur II it isnt, but it does the job and nowhere near as heavy.
On the dry sand it excels, i switched to the XY screen and i could hear and read what the bottle caps where doing, it does have great separation tones and long tails on the iron, i dug them anyway, i would think this is a cap and it would be. Reminds me of my old AT Pro in the wet sand, but eats the old Garrett on the dry, It found some very small targets that come up very clear in the cans a big scoop depth down, say 9".
There wasn't a lot to get excited about down there though.

Offline Xlii

• Copper

26.67%
    • I live in: South Australia
    • Xlii's Metal Detecting Blog
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88

• Total Badges: 4
    Farthing Full Sovereign 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 20:14 »
I run 4.0 and use the wet beach setting.  I don't have too much of a problem with it on the wet sand - but I'm more of a casual beach hunter and I've never tried a tried and true wet sand machine to compare.
I will say one thing though, I think the MI-6 performs better than the Garrett carrot on the wet sand.  I find I need to tune the MI-6 less than the carrot.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus, Garrett AT Pro, Garret Ace 250
  • Oldest find: 1797 (cartwheel penny)

Offline TonyW

• Copper

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2018, 20:21 »
The chatter wasnt unbearable but i wasnt in the mood for it, i was trying to sort the pairing of the pointer out. On the dry sand setting i did drop the disc to 3.5  after a couple of hours, but i didnt hunt for long on that setting i was getting tired, even though it picked up some tiny silver at depth, its one to remember for the future.

As for the pinpointer, there is a bit of a learning curve, even though it only has one button, but i didnt have any probs with the ground balance at all.

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything