collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  Australian convict-sites  (Read 472 times)

Offline nickel_n

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    13.33%
    • I live in: Melbourne
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 4
    Badges: (View All)
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
Australian convict-sites
« on: May 31, 2018, 09:54 »
 AUSTRALIAN CONVICT SITES
over 200 pages of interesting read with photos and gps locations
https://www.environment.gov.au/search/site/convict-sites.pdf
 WORLD HERITAGE NOMINATION

Linkback: http://forum.kimbucktwo.com/index.php?topic=32917.0
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites MXT All Pro,DFX,XLT,Spectrum,EAGLE SL, SD2000,GT16000,Seahunter Mark II

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 949

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
Re: Australian convict-sites
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 12:29 »
Some interesting pictures. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline nickel_n

• Copper

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 15:38 »
If I was in NSW or Tasmania I would certainly visit the sites.
Especially that is so clearly marked with GPS coordinates
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites MXT All Pro,DFX,XLT,Spectrum,EAGLE SL, SD2000,GT16000,Seahunter Mark II

Offline Ravvin

• Copper

20%
    • I live in: Wesley Vale, Tasmania
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107

• Total Badges: 3
    One year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2018, 09:37 »
In Tasmania, it is illegal to detect or remove any relics from the listed historical sites.
What makes it difficult is that its not easy to find out where the sites actually are.
As part of my work, I have to check that there are no known, recorded or new sites of historical significance before I can certify a harvest plan.
To do this, I have to request a report from a database managed by Sustainable Timber Tasmania (Forestry Tas), and this report costs $35 and only covers the area surrounding where I will be harvesting.
Recently I had a job that listed both a Lime Kiln and convict-built bridge as being within my harvest area. It gives the gps coordinates, but they are very inaccurate.
As an example, the lime kiln ended up being 660m away from where they said it was and the bridge ended up being 400m away.
The cause of this inaccuracy with the reported locations is that some of the sites were recorded way back before GPS's and some were from old paper maps or even just written reports and descriptions. In the case of the bridge, there was a written report from 48 years ago when the area was harvested and converted to plantation. It mentioned that the bridge was on Bergmans Track and that they had to construct a ford across the stream as the old convict bridge was too narrow to allow trucks to safely use it and was of historical significance, so they couldn't upgrade it.
Part of the reason this bridge was so far away from where modern records place it was that when the TasMap of the area was created, they didn't realise they had the Bergmans Track name on the wrong road. When the plantation was established, they upgraded the road they made across the fording point on the stream and let the old track become overgrown. When the Historic Sites register was compiled, they looked at the records and decided that the bridge over the stream on the track called Bergmans Track, on the map must be the convict-built bridge.

Its hard to tell, but the top of that arch is just over 6' high. Locals bring cars out here to strip and burn and appreciate having a place to dump old tyres.

Another issue with GPS points is that down here, Forestry Tas used to record all their GPS points using the AGD66 projection, as that is what the paper maps were using. Later, when GIS mapping was more refined, we all switched to a different projection, GDA94. This means that if I had a point on the ground recorded as being at location 454410mE, 5437650mN using the old AGD66 projection, and I typed those numbers into my GPS which was set on GDA94 projection, I would actually end up about 160m south west of where the point actually was. As an example of this, I recently had to locate the remains of an old early settlement-era homestead ruin to make sure that it wasn't inside the plantation I was going to harvest. The first issue I found was that the coordinates of the recorded point were rough, rounded off to the nearest 100m on both the easting and northing. The record showed it's position was recorded from old records and reports. I am not required to locate the site, but I have to be sure it is not inside the area I will be harvesting. I eventually found it, 220m away from where it was recorded. All there is to show of a large homestead is a small corner of a stone wall and a lot of tumbled rock.

The sign was on the ground and behind the tree when I found it. If I hadn't noticed that the area was oddly flat in a rectangular shape, with low shrubby growth in straight lines nearby, I wouldn't have found it. The sign was placed there by Associated Forest Holdings, which has changed ownership and names a few times, so has to be at least 20 years old. They knew where the site was, yet never updated the register.
I think that the reasoning behind this is they don't want people poking around the old sites and listing it accurately would allow them to find it easily.

While Sustainable Timber Tas give access to the sites listing through their report request system, the site data is actually managed by Parks Tas. When I was trying to locate and then update the records for the lime kiln and bridge, I managed to contact a really helpful guy at Parks who let me have a copy of the whole GIS shapefile of the known historic sites in Tas. There are over 1400 of them and many of them are way out of place. I have worked my way through a lot of the records and fixed a heap that were wrong, usually through a typo in the coordinates.
The types of sites range from old convict ruins, highland huts and sawmills, to chinese mining sites, settlement homesteads and old bridges.
Every single site on the list is fully protected and can not be detected, excavated or altered in any way.
If anyone ever wants to know if a site they found is on the register, they can contact me and give me a rough location and I will tell them if there are any listed sites nearby, but I won't give out the recorded positions for all to see. I've seen an early settlement stone hut that someone had found and they had totally destroyed it while searching/detecting the area. They had even pulled up the remains of the collapsed wooden roof and rafters and tossed it aside to detect the earthen floor below, which was turned into a potholed mess and left exposed.

Greg.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 949

• Total Badges: 51
    Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2018, 12:12 »
An interesting reply Greg. I see you put a lot of time into it and i am sure the members appreciate it.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline TonyW

• Copper

16.67%
    • I live in: Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34

50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2018, 16:51 »
I had a good read last night on all the convict sites, not looking to detect anything as that would be just plain ridiculous on heritage listed sites, but the history of it all had me chomping at the bit to do some exploring of my own.

No convicts in my mob that i know of, they were all Cornish miners.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus
  • Oldest find: gold

Offline ohb1

• Platinum

20%
    • I live in: Sunshine Coast
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 595

• Total Badges: 36
    Seventh year Anniversary Florin Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Wheat Three Pence Round 50 Cents 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2018, 21:00 »
...Great read Ravvin,..thanks for taking the time to put it together...Sounds like Tassy is pretty well locked up from a "protected" perspective...I can understand it to some degree...a lot of old history in a relatively small area !

ohb1
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Laser B1; Tesoro Cortes; Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab 3030; Garrett Pro Pointer
  • Oldest find: George IV shilling 1825-1829
swing..sweet silver succumbs.... sorrow,scratched, still, sentimental... smile, satisfied,... search, somewhere, sometime, silver

Offline nickel_n

• Copper

13.33%
  • Liked:

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 21:08 »
Just to make it clear.
I found the link interesting and I thought that will also be interesting to some of the members, especially if they have the opportunity to visit some of the areas.
No one said anything about detecting heritage sites

Offline werewolf

• Platinum

6.67%
    • I live in: Illawarra, NSW
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 203

• Total Badges: 38
    Nineth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 22:16 »
That is an excellent, extremely well researched report. Would love a hard copy of that. The history contained within is priceless. Great photos and maps too. Thanks for posting.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Cibola & Minelab Etrac
  • Oldest find: Spanish 2 Reale - from between 1760 - 1771

Offline TonyW

• Copper

16.67%
    • I live in: Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34

50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2018, 07:46 »
Just to make it clear.
I found the link interesting and I thought that will also be interesting to some of the members, especially if they have the opportunity to visit some of the areas.
No one said anything about detecting heritage sites
The reference to detecting heritage sites was made not for your post, which is excellent by the way, but for anyone thinking of doing so.
We had a member here about 5yrs ago or more who loved heritage sites, and would rip the crap out them digging up relics, another pair of kids were hitting up aboriginal sites, sadly it does happen.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus
  • Oldest find: gold

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

13.33%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 20
    Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 08:35 »
The notion that Australia is a nation of convict descendants is a myth.
By 1868 when convicts ceased being sent to Australia their population was 164,000 and the total population was 1,539,552.
After that date most people who came here were well to do types  along with a small group of not so well of people who travelled Steerage.

Here are more general population growth charts for Australia'
http://chartsbin.com/view/eoo
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sea Hunter MK II, Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

clip
Convict Stuff?

Started by BeachcomberContractor on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

3 Replies
Last post March 26, 2012, 22:44
by BeachcomberContractor
clip
From an 1800's convict house site

Started by noodles on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

3 Replies
Last post February 12, 2015, 01:14
by noodles
xx
Token info. site with links to other sites

Started by Rwork on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

0 Replies
Last post October 20, 2010, 09:52
by Rwork
xx
Australian Silversmith ID help please

Started by NewSouthCroweater on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

2 Replies
Last post November 12, 2011, 17:41
by lazyaussie
xx
Australian Flag

Started by Sambo on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

7 Replies
Last post January 31, 2016, 15:55
by NME
clip
Some thing for Sth Australian members....maybe ?

Started by wilphil on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

9 Replies
Last post February 15, 2013, 21:48
by markoss
xx
Australian Mines Atlas.

Started by Rwork on Research Resources and Finds ID Help.

0 Replies
Last post May 23, 2015, 08:50
by Rwork

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything