collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  DIY or make your own Metal Detector kits  (Read 156295 times)

Offline SteelPat

• steelPHASE
  • Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Ocean Grove, Victoria
    • steelPHASE
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 38

• Total Badges: 19
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: DIY or make your own Metal Detector kits
« Reply #175 on: June 29, 2015, 20:36 »
no prices unless you register ,,
First post too. Bit of a cheek really. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPZ 7000, GPX4500, Eureka Gold, Equinox 800, ProFind 25, numerous experimental designs

Offline Trigon

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Epping Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20

• Total Badges: 18
    Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #176 on: June 29, 2015, 20:50 »
Hi Steelpat, thanks for the offer to use your cro, I really appreciate it. I will send a PM
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty Hunter, x-pointer, xterra 705,Tesoro Sandshark
  • Oldest find: 1885 Token

Offline Mueller

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: St Charles Illinois
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 4
    Second year Anniversary First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #177 on: July 09, 2015, 02:59 »
Hi Mueller. Had issues with my chance build from first go. Kept falsing so gave up on it after many software changes by the author. A better kit build would be the Surf Pi if discrimination is not an issue for you. Simple and worked first go with great results.
Regards Sido

Well. I screwed the pooch royaly and ordered a chance board . Oh, well. It's not like I'm out a lot of money. I'll look into getting a Suf PI. They seem like a popular option.
Thanks
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites 5000
  • Oldest find: ?

Offline SteelPat

• steelPHASE
  • Copper

0%
    • steelPHASE
  • Liked:

Fifth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #178 on: July 09, 2015, 06:55 »
Well. I screwed the pooch royaly and ordered a chance board . Oh, well. It's not like I'm out a lot of money. I'll look into getting a Suf PI. They seem like a popular option.
Thanks
Many people seem to have done ok with the Chance PI but it certainly isnt one for a beginner. If you are quite confident with your electronic skills then you shouldnt have an issue. Its a Russian design but if you use google translate, this page http://fandy.hut2.ru/Chance.htm should help. There are quite a few discussions about this design on the GeoTech forum.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPZ 7000, GPX4500, Eureka Gold, Equinox 800, ProFind 25, numerous experimental designs

Offline Mueller

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: St Charles Illinois
  • Liked:

« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2015, 06:02 »
Thanks,Pat.
Got it.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites 5000
  • Oldest find: ?

Offline Sanjay Thapa

• Tin Foil

0%
  • Liked:

« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:09 by Sanjay Thapa »

Offline bluebenz1

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2015, 04:46 »
Hi all...my first post...and i'm attempting to make my first metal detector. after much research this is my basic set up..Barracuda Legend1...with 250mm coil .40mm enamelled wire, 22 turn's encased in 2 layers of PVc spiral cable sleeving, 3m wire mesh over that then bound in insulation tape.....does this sound plausible !!!?....Any advice anyone...!!!
  • Detector(s) owned/used: non yet...hoping to make legend 1..

Offline SteelPat

• steelPHASE
  • Copper

0%
    • steelPHASE
  • Liked:

« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2015, 08:27 »
Hi all...my first post...and i'm attempting to make my first metal detector. after much research this is my basic set up..Barracuda Legend1...with 250mm coil .40mm enamelled wire, 22 turn's encased in 2 layers of PVc spiral cable sleeving, 3m wire mesh over that then bound in insulation tape.....does this sound plausible !!!?....Any advice anyone...!!!

Hey Bluebenz. I havent made that particular circuit but a coil with those specs give an inductance of 390uH. If that is what is required then all good. Remember to wind it very tight so there is no movement in the coil. 
I have not had a huge amount of success in making a fast coil with mesh shielding. I did make a graphite solution which seems to work very well. I painted the solution on to a layer of sports adhesive tape that had been wound over the coil (over the spiral wrap). You leave a small gap in the shielding so it does not form a complete circuit around the coil.

Offline bluebenz1

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #183 on: August 20, 2015, 06:03 »
So   i have the barracuda working and detecting, on a crude coil, but how do i tune it using the blu trim pots....?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 07:22 by bluebenz1 »

Offline bluebenz1

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #184 on: August 20, 2015, 06:18 »
Thats great sido
I have finished putting the components on the BARACUDA-Legend-1
and surf pi , now just got to get them working and tuned up.

just finished building my first barra....How do you tune it ?

Offline Westoz1

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: Southwest WA
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 6
    One year Anniversary First Post
« Reply #185 on: May 30, 2016, 19:44 »
Hello all , I have just finished my build of a surf 1.2 and not sure if something is not right with it or its ok
the problem I'm having with it is the tones , it has mostly two beeps one faint and the other loud . 
you cant hear the faint tone unless you have the volume a fair way up , problem being i was thinking about
putting head phones on it and the way it is with the volume up it will be way to loud .
Is there a way i can get the two tones not as far apart volume wise ? .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Gofind 40

Offline Fixit

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: South Coast
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 3
« Reply #186 on: July 02, 2016, 20:59 »
Hi Westoz
What are you using for the audio on your Surf PI? And how have you mounted it?
I have been building one of these too and found the volume quite low using a small ex computer speaker but got much better results with a piezo (not the buzzer with the built-in driver).
Your case looks interesting and I would appreciate more details on how you have made it and how you have waterproofed the pot. shafts. I have been working on something similar for mine but have not fitted it yet - still bench testing and playing with coils while waiting for o-rings and waterproof cable clamps to arrive.
I am also considering using a high-brightness LED as a possible alternative to the audio indicator.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: X-Terra 705, Assorted home-made.

Offline Westoz1

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #187 on: July 07, 2016, 13:59 »
Hello fixit
Unfortunately i didn't waterproof the housing , i started to but gave up on getting it waterproof and decided just put it together as is , maybe making another one at a later date

For audio I used the buzzer that came with the surf pi kit but would of like to have used headphones ,  it is glued into the cap on the end on the detector lining up with a small hole in the cap

The main body of the detector is made up of 20mm and 40mm pvc pipe with a 20mm x 3/4'' faucet socket and 3/4'' poly plug holding the coil on with a 45 degree joiner attached to that                                                                                                

The coil is made from two pottery dishes cut down , one cut down with a small lip , the other cut down to a flat plate

The handle houses three 18650 battery's and is made from 20mm poly irrigation riser with cut down 19mm poly barbed caps  placed in both ends with a screw top cap 

Offline Fixit

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #188 on: July 14, 2016, 18:55 »
Thanks for the photos Westoz. I like the way you have used the plumbing bits - it looks quite neat. It probably wouldn't take much to waterproof it.
My design is very similar except that I am putting 40mm couplers at each end of the housing and plan to put o-rings between the ends of the couplers and the end caps and to hold them together with clips.
At the moment I am preparing to put the CRO on the board to get the damping resistor and other adjustments spot-on. Hopefully my CRO is still OK as I haven't used it for a long time.
I have almost finished 2 different coils for it - one is similar to yours and the other is a basket-weave type which I have enclosed in an epoxy fibreglas cover which I am hoping will be fully submersible. It is supposed to be self-shielding but I did not take enough care with marking the start and end of the windings and will have to play around a bit to sort it out (hopefully!!!)
I got lazy with the board and bought one pre-assembled from Turkey. So far it all seems to work OK and was cheaper that the kit. It did not come with any speaker/buzzer so I experimented with what I had available and found the driverless piezo the most effective. You could perhaps try one of these on yours to see if it solves your problem. I am not sure yet about what I will use with mine as I hope to use it wading or even semi-submersible (most of the beaches around here have size-able shore breaks). Besides a LED indicator it may be possible to seal a couple of these piezos into small plastic bags and put them into a 'gutted' set of headphones
If no-one comes up with another solution to your problem I will let you know how I get on with my experiments, but it could be a while before I get to it as I have so many other projects on the go at the moment.
Regards
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 20:36 by Fixit »

Offline Westoz1

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #189 on: July 16, 2016, 00:21 »
With the pre-assembled  boards they look a bit wider , it would make mounting the board more easy , how wide is the board ?  i was thinking  about using one on my next build .
The headphone idea sounds good , maybe use cheap safety earmuffs as a alternative ?
I had a similar idea of sealing the case but was going to sit a cut down 40mm dwv cap inside the joiner to mount the two pots but  gave up on that idea because i didn't know how often i would need to a just them
a couple of alternatives i was thinking about using would be the cheap swimming earphones you get for ebay but not sure if they would suit the detector or using a vibration motor but not sure on how to set that up ether 
i am a bit noob when it comes to electronics so I'm still learning as i go  , what would be the difference between a driverless piezo and a normal buzzer ? , i have one here that's off a pc case that i might try

Offline Fixit

• Iron

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #190 on: July 16, 2016, 20:33 »
how wide is the board ?
40mm X 170mm.

maybe use cheap safety earmuffs as a alternative
That's what I was thinking.

cheap swimming earphones
Haven't seen these. I will have to have a look for them. They would probably work but would need some sort of waterproof plug.
using a vibration motor
I have just bought 5 of these - they are tiny, only about 10mm diam. Yet to test them.

what would be the difference between a driverless piezo and a normal buzzer
The driverless piezo is just a piezo disk consisting of a sandwich of piezo-electric ceramic between 2 electrodes - one is usually a thin brass disk. It is housed in a thin plastic disk shaped case or sometimes just stuck into the case of a device and requires a pulse waveform to produce a sound. The driver type requires DC only and has an inbuilt oscillator. It usually has a higher plastic housing to hold the electronics and has red & black leads.

My small o-rings and silicon grease have just arrived so I can play around with waterproofing the pot shafts as well.
Hope this helps - sorry about the rushed reply but short of time (as usual!!)

clip
GC-10 Metal Detector

Started by boagesmalone on Other generic

18 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 09:36
by Tasrog
xx
KTS Metal detector

Started by warren on Other generic

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 21:06
by warren