collapse

* Share it Around

* Recommended

* Detectors

Author Topic:  DIY or make your own Metal Detector kits  (Read 156308 times)

Offline sido

• Silver
  • Melbourne/Diamond Creek 45 years younger

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Victoria
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4

• Total Badges: 24
    Badges: (View All)
    Seventh year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: DIY or make your own Metal Detector kits
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2011, 14:39 »
Fired up yesterday the surf pi, worked first go on crappy coil with only 150 uH inductance. I am very impressed so far with performance. Today will build proper coil with 300uH and test and give a report on it and try finish off the chance pi, just have to interface the lcd and build coil. Will keep you posted.

Sido
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sd2000 modified, Goldsnoop X modified Md1023,
  • Oldest find: 1860 QVictoria Half Penny

Offline 6666

• Silver
  • Location, Melbourne, where a dingo ate my finds

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 23
    Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2011, 21:03 »
Good to hear your surf pi worked first go
I have a dead 4093  :'(, so no delay pulses,  >:(
so will go to jaycar on sunday and get another
I made a 230 uH coil like what most of the other guys are using
I can see a lot of ringing on pin 6 of the 5534 on the ocope, so 390 ohms is not the right value
be interesting to hear your results with the 350uH coil
cheers

• Detector(s) owned/used: My first Whites 1975, various others
  • Oldest find: 1836 Three pence
Aint found a half penny or penny yet, Remember the best discriminator is your digging tool.

Offline sido

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

Seventh year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2011, 23:52 »
Hi 6666, if you go to the Coburg store they have run out on 4066's, ring beforehand and see the availability of the 4093. I happen to have a Motorolla replacement 4066 in my spare's box and works a treat.

Anyway today i was suppose to finish the coil, did not get around too do so, will build a 10-11 inch fast mono coil for now (230uH) or (350uH) as you suggest, but with the 6" 150uH coil i can pickup a gold ring at 8" that is why i am impressed, hardly any interference in-house and very stable. I am powering the unit up with 8 AA and the Mosfet does not even warm up, pretty good i say. I have left the 390 ohm resistor in, its a metal film type like all my resistor's, but they say its is better to use carbon film in its place for damping, which i will try.

All me Cap,s Eletro's are of the low ESR type and using Jaycar's MKT Caps also, so very stable and no drift.

I am supprised in performance for such a simple PI design, well done to White's Pty Ltd for producing such a great circuit and Silverdog for a quality PCB.

I have another blank Surf PI which i am eager to build as a stand alone Beach detector. I believe that it will be a killer on the beach sand for depth.

A dead 4093, is that a new part or one you had at hand?

Sorry cannot post pictures at the moment, me camera has been borrowed by me misses sister.

Will experiment with coils Sunday. I have a question..........why is it when i post this on the forum it comes up as 1 hour in front....eg my computer say's 10.50 pm now and when i post it it will say 11.50 pm??????

waiting for your Barracuda results...........

Sido HH
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 23:55 by sido »

Offline sido

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2011, 00:42 »
Its all good, worked out the time problem in profile settings.

Forgot to mention that i want to build the Dual field coil also for Surf PI, very easy, basically a mono with 2 coils, one small and one large coil in series,  that is why it is sensitive to small and large items.

Sido HH

Offline 6666

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2011, 18:33 »
Hi Sido
I got my surf PI working today
replaced the blown 4093
and a way she went, I need to put it in a box
and tune it up but its working  :)

The coil is nothing special, 21 turns .41mm , 9 inch Dia.

Offline 6666

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 23:00 »
Hi Sido
got my Baracuda working on the bench tonight
had a faulty 79l05 -5 volt reg only giving .5 of a volt
replaced it and away she went,
now for tune up and a proper coil and real testing
just used a small choke for the coil to get going

Offline sido

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 22:05 »
My SurfPi and chancePi completed. The Surf works great with the 6" Dual Field coil i built, not shielded yet but still needs refinement for best sensitivity. On the weekend i will build a 10-11 inch Dual Field coil for more depth. Would like to achieve over 30 cm's for coin size objects. At the moment i get around 23-25cm's for a dollar coin with this coil, same for a small gold ring.

The ChancePI just fired it up this evening with coil pictured below, not ideal but i can tell you that the LCD works, nothing overheats, coil buzzing away, adjustment can be made via switches, making some noises, picks up the dollar coin with 6 inch coil very close, but i need to build the original one presented on the Russian Forum to see its full potential. At the moment i am a little skeptical with this project but maybe i did something wrong. Really do not know much about the ChancePI project, but will read up on it.

The coil you see in the picture is mounted on a piece of perspex with nylon screws mounted on there to support the wires, which make testing easier as no metal to interfere.   

6666, How did you go with the Barracuda? I am thinking of building it and the Eric Foster's Goldscan IV, both look interesting.

Sido HH

Offline 6666

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2011, 23:32 »
Hi sido
bought some nimh cells off fleabay
they are rubbish, supposed to be in australia
posted from hongkong
supposed to be 3000 mah
but cannot get any more than 150 mah into them
and discharge is rubbish, I think I will stick to the aldi cells
they are good.

The bara fired up ok
but I am having a little rest from it right now
but back into it in a few days
I wound a 450uh coil for it, but have not tried it yet

what are the specs of the 6" DF coil ?
I plan to have a fiddle with them,

great on getting yours working

did you catch this on thunting ?

I have built the Chance on Silverdog's beautiful PCB version 0.8.4 and it detected placer gold flakes totaling about the volume of a matchhead contained in a glass vial at a distance of about three inches in air.

Then version 1.0.1 firmware was released with required hardware mods to the PCB.  I performed the mods and ordered a new ATMEL processor from Silverdog with the 1.0.1 firmware installed.  The unit has never worked, it just constantly buzzed no matter what settings, distance, or metal was presented to it.

I have since removed the 820 ohm mod restoring the original 1500 ohm in it's place and reinstalled the version 0.8.4 controller, leaving the other mods in place.  It acts much better than the 1.0.1 version but has far less sensitivity than the original 0.8.4 hardware configuration without the later mods.  I am at a loss to say if the 2nd controller is bad or if the 1.0.1 firmware is bad. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 23:54 by 6666 »

Offline sido

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2011, 00:12 »
Hi 6666, saw that on thunting site. The 6 inch coil is still in development, it is actually a 5" coil, just measured it, my first coil was a 6" mono thats where i confused it with the 5" pictured. When i get it working at its best i will unwind it and get the specs for you with the damping resistor value. At the moment it's trial and error and so would be the 10-11" inch when i build it on the weekend. I expect to hit a coin at 30cm's easy considering the 5" is doing well. I like the quick target response and signal recovery of the SurfPI.

Will use it at the beach on sand and shallow water when i finalize coil, coil housing and electronic housing etc.....oh and also some mod's that are available, i will try them out on me other spare board and see if even better performance is achieved.

We got to remember that once we add the coil feedline the sensitivity will drop slightly due to additional capacitance/resistance. I might add the feedline in do do these experiments, thats the only way we will know its final true performance. Will try different feedlines and get back to you on my findings.

What do ya think of the Barra so far? How does it compare to the SurfPI? Do they sound similar in audio?

Sido HH
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 00:17 by sido »

Offline 6666

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2011, 11:31 »
Hi sido
sent you a pm

Offline 6666

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 14:50 »
Made a very short test clip of the Baracuda

Offline 6666

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 10:19 »
Hi Sido
at the moment, I am favouring the Bara over the surf
it seems to have a slight edge. Both MD are not tuned yet
I have tried a couple of different coils on both
and the bara is leading.

Offline sido

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 21:50 »
Hi 6666, watched the test vid's, you are getting respectable depth's there. So the Barra has a slight edge over the surf, interesting.

The battery's from HK are probably rejects, i buy the Jaycar one's, seem to be good, a bit pricey. Though if you do get a faulty one, it can be replaced.

This week, not much done on the projects, work commitment's have taken over but looking through my extensive electronics parts laying around everywhere here i found these. Might do as waterproof pot's, they have come off old tunable radio's. I just have to add the rubber washer seal's between the hex nuts, mount them in a waterproof box, submerse it in water and see if any water has leaked through.

As for coil cover, i have a gutted out a old Fisher 8" housing i might use, seeing the 6" test coil work's good, might try a 8" coil to suit housing. A nice paint job will come up nice. I have the detector stem made up too, will post a pic soon. Might rename this detector the "Blackdevil" seeing i am considering painting it all black. :)

Sido HH

Offline sido

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2011, 22:43 »
Got Surpi to work as a pinpointer :) Highest sensitivity is only at the right hand side of the ferrite coil and gives a signal 1-1.5 inches for a half penny and gold ring, happy with that. It actually slightly discriminates out the common coke can pulltab. Dont know why, but not complaining. ;D

Sido HH

maikl

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2011, 23:37 »
Made a very short test clip of the Baracuda

Hi 6666. Your video footage on YouTube has been deleted. Do you have another address a video?

Offline 6666

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2011, 10:16 »
Hi
Try here

maikl

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2011, 01:19 »
Thanks 6666. Link works, but video is much the tinted. Best regards.

Offline 6666

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2011, 09:15 »
HI sorry the video is so dark I had the white balance on the camera set wrong

Offline sido

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2011, 22:39 »
Hi 6666, the timing circuit looks similar to the goldscan except being single channel timing and power supply way different.

I will have to start looking at these other sites apart from Geo ;)

Sido HH

Offline sido

• Silver

0%
  • Liked:

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2011, 21:48 »
Hi 6666, saw that on ebay, good luck to him as many people are not able to build electronic Kit's and also might be a small demand for them as a cheap alternative as to the real thing.

Good to see you guy's are working on a limited component count PI machine ;D. Might turn out to be a good Pin-Pointer circuit if made SMD ;), will keep my eyes open on that one.

Work is driving all my spare time away from experimenting and d e t e c t i n g >:( >:(, even the Chance PI problem i have yet to look at. Have also been fixing the house up for sale for a not so distant move to the Golden Triangle in Marybourough on some 5-10 acres of hopefully gold bearing sediments 8), cant wait........anyway not much else for me to add.

Regard's Sid

Offline 6666

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2011, 08:26 »
Hi Sid
good on everything, moving to the triangle that should be fun
bit far from the beach .
I am trying to clear all my commitments and then have a crack
at some pic based MD projects just for fun.

cheers

Offline Adam

• Silver
  • X-TERRA 305

0%
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 20
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2011, 22:51 »
I'd love to get a kit to build as I'd like to have a spare detector so I can ask a friend along now and again.  I can build kits an so forth but I'm lost when it comes to ocsiloscopes and tuning and such.  Might just be easier to buy a Bounty hunter???

I'd have no problem contructiing housings and such but would probably struggle to build a coil unless I had some detailed instructions.

So should I just go with a BH?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab X-TERRA 305, Garrett Pro Pointer, Whites Coinmaster 6000/D
  • Oldest find: 1883 English Gothic Florin
Lets keep the forum about detecting : )

Offline 6666

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2011, 23:38 »
Hi Adam
well the quick way out is go with a BH, just put in some batteries and off you go.

the easiest kit to make would be the surf PI, its a beep and dig machine.
the coil is made from enamel wire, tight wound coil , 23cm dia, 20turns, .5mm swg
IF you construct it correctly and dont have any faulty components
all you need is a multimeter to make one voltage adjustment
and it should work, of course it needs a box and batteries and rod and arm rest etc
cheers

Offline 6666

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel
  • Liked:

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2011, 10:10 »
I will try a picture here, it shows a surf PI in a box and the coil

Offline Adam

• Silver
  • X-TERRA 305

0%
  • Liked:

• Total Badges: 20
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2011, 22:44 »
Thanks for the reply 6666, I do love soldering kits together though, if something goes wrong other than voltage or current flow it is usually when my talent stops.

I think I could handle that coil easily enough.  Is it possible to do a DD coil?

Could you be so kind to send me a link to the component kit?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab X-TERRA 305, Garrett Pro Pointer, Whites Coinmaster 6000/D
  • Oldest find: 1883 English Gothic Florin

clip
GC-10 Metal Detector

Started by boagesmalone on Other generic

18 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 09:36
by Tasrog
xx
KTS Metal detector

Started by warren on Other generic

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 21:06