* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Eight Easy Steps to locate a Coin Cache! Victorian Parish Maps!  (Read 25423 times)

Offline Balf

• Silver
  • "Low & Slow & Off we go!"

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 21
    Badges: (View All)
    Eighth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
A few weeks ago I promised that I would write up a full article  on Victorian Parish Maps. Due to work & family constraints & illness I have not been able to complete the task within the required timeframe. My apologies! My intention was ( and still is)  to do series of scans, weblinks and simple instructions on how to find, interpret and use the original Record plans ( recently scanned and generously put on-line for FREE! by the Victorian State Government).
After 31 years of collecting Antique Bottles and chasing "treasure" with Metal Detectors, you learn a few tricks. Record Plans or original Victorian Parish plans  helped me identify and locate old rubbish tips, abandoned school sites, racetracks, sports grounds , picnic areas, camping grounds, hotels, etc, etc. ( the list is almost endless) and it vastly increased my finds. In the early days ( from 1978 to 2006) , Parish Maps were held at the Original Central Plan Room near the old Treasury Building ( odd coincidence!) and you had to tediously request them one by one ( meaning a long trip to Melbourne, only 4 hours search time per day, etc) , some local Historical societies and Councils held Microfiche copies, but access to them was often like "extracting teeth".
Finally, the State Government acted and scanned the bulk of the Original Record Plans onto the DSE ( old Lands Department ) website  www.land.vic.gov.au  This means that you can sit in the comfort of your own home and locate sites for your weekend treasure hunting! I have only just located this website recently ( the Dept. had promised to do this 20 years ago, and quite frankly I had given up checking!)
Anyway, as someone who likes to honour their commitments, I have decided to give everyone , the link so that they can go and have a "play" with the site. Over the coming weeks I will detail exactly what to look for and how to interpret the maps ( this is relatively simple if you know how, and opens all sorts of opportunities for would be treasure hunters. So go and have a play, and watch for learning updates ( scans & simple explanations of how to interpret data, Volume & Folio numbers, how to find building plans, entire histories of a land parcel , correspondence to the Dept in relation to the block, Government Gazettes , etc)

Here are the Eight Easy steps to start off:

Step No. 1.........Logon to the above web address www.land.vic.gov.au  
Step No. 2.........Select the "Titles, Property,Certificates & Crown Land" option ( right hand side of page).
Step No. 3.........Select the "Central Plan Office Records" icon ( middle of page).
Step No. 4.........Register as a user ( this is free, as is viewing the plans)
Step No. 5.........Login with your new Username & Password.
Step No. 6.........Select "Record Plan".
Step No. 7.........Select the Township or Parish plan of your choice.
Step No. 8.........Select "View"

Then use the tool bars to move around the maps, increase its size , take copies, etc. ( have a play)

* A tip........ all areas in Victoria ( and other States are broken up into what are called Counties ( originally referred to as an area under control of a Count of the Crown, strangely enough! ) You may need to know which County your town or area is situated in , if you are having trouble with this , refer to the following website .........http://services.land.vic.gov.au/CountyPlans/........ this will give you the correct County.

Anyway, feel free to have a browse around the site and I hope you get lucky! If anyone is stuck or unsure I am happy to answer any questions ( please be patient with my response though, at the moment I am working 60 hour weeks ( and trying to wave the wand in the gaps!)

P.S .........To all my interstate friends out here , I have found some similar new databases for you guys ( & girls ) and will gradually document them as time permits. Please be patient , spending most work days 8-10 hours on a PC , so by this time of night I feel like I have five scoops of gravel behind my eyes! lol

P.P.S...... If anyone finds a large cash of Sovereigns after using this info, I want one! lol
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 21:34 by Balf »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: E-Trac & Garrett Pro Pinpointer
  • Oldest find: Qing Dynasty 18th Century Chinese Coin.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Just all round good guy!
  • Administrator
  • Silver

0%
    • I live in: Point Cook, Victoria
    • Metal Detecting and Relic Hunting in Australia
  • Likes Given: 5

• Total Badges: 44
    500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
Thanks mate.... This a great little guide. I have put a teaser on the home page on www.kimbucktwo.com which may get a couple more people interested in the site.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pinpointer Pro
  • Oldest find: 1886 Penny
If I keep modifying this damn forum, I will never get out detecting.

Offline Balf

• Silver

0%

Eighth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Has anyone found this useful? Has anyone had any problems accessing the data? or want some help with accessing it? Some feedback would help me determine if I should continue the learning's in this area.......Thanks............ .

DRAGON

Great information Balf but i think it is a lot easier just to follow you lol.                                              THANKS  FOR THE HARD WORK                                                                                 REGARDS DRAGON

Reverend

Fantastic info Balf. You've condensed years of learning into moments for those who don't know how to access these maps.

Of late I've been accessing the Parish maps via the National Archives Australia. It's not a bad resource but probably not near as good as what you have listed above.

Offline Balf

• Silver

0%

Thanks guys, ( and you're welcome to follow me any time  Dragon! LOL ) , happy to post this stuff (& more!) Just as long as you guys ( & girls!) are are finding it useful.

Offline NewSouthCroweater

• Platinum

23.33%

• Total Badges: 31
    Eighth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
Hi Balf,

Just wanted to tell you that you inspired me to do some research in the hope of finding pre decimal coins.
After the research and driving 10 -15 minutes from home, on a 2 hour hunt the other day I found 2 pennys 1943 & 1958, as well as modern coin.
I am stoked, and there is heaps more m.d. to do at that site.
Thanks for spurring me on and passing on to us all your experience.

NSC
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab CTX3030, X-Terra70, Excalibur II, E-Trac, Garrett Ace250, Garrett ProPointer, Pistol Probe, OzScoop
  • Oldest find: 1695 Half Penny, gold nugget

Offline Balf

• Silver

0%

Stoked to hear that Crow, got some SA archive stuff coming up, and NSW , bogged down at minute trying to get screenshots from the Vic stuff for more articles, gotta wait for my "Tech-boy" mate as I call him!

viewfinder

Check out the Nation Library of Australia's online Archives, loads of old maps and more...

Offline Uncle Buck

• Just all round good guy!
  • Administrator
  • Silver

0%
    • I live in: Point Cook, Victoria
    • Metal Detecting and Relic Hunting in Australia
  • Likes Given: 5

• Total Badges: 44
    500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
Decided to make this a sticky topic as it was heading down the list a bit and I didn't want Balf's work to get lost in all the postings.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab E-Trac, Garrett Pinpointer Pro
  • Oldest find: 1886 Penny
If I keep modifying this damn forum, I will never get out detecting.

Offline Balf

• Silver

0%

Re: Eight Easy Steps to locate a Coin Cache! Victorian Parish Maps!
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 09:40 »
Thanks Buck..........still more to come ( when I get some time!) Put another site out here this week Government Gazettes............Balf

Offline Balf

• Silver

0%

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 20:11 »
When you are comfortable with  the Parish maps site , have a look at the "Government Gazettes" site that I posted this week ( they go hand in hand), if anyone needs any help with these sites or how to interpret them, don't hesitate to contact me, my aim is to provide as much archival help to our members as possible , so that the finds keep rolling in. I think this is a great site and it will only get better if our members are successful in the field. I also think that we have some great people out here and it will make my day if they find some amazing stuff with the information I have posted. I have 25 years of experience searching archives and if anyone needs any help to research a site I am only to happy to help............Balf

diggertrev

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 20:38 »
Hi balf great thread mate and thanks for the info .
I just thought i would throw in a couple of tips that i use .
i have local maps of the area were i live that were made by the defence forces aquired these from the local council .
These maps have houses marked on them were as now they dont due to privacy issues .
another great sorce are the older firebrigade maps they are also very detailed .
Now i use my maps in conjunction with google earth  ,i just locate it on the map zoom in there on google earth and if there is no longer a house there i have myself a potential detecting site just a matter of aproaching the owners of the farm and getting permision .
another great place to get info is at your local  historical society ,and the other great place is just ask the older people in your area they are always happy to have a yarn and talk of the old days places etc  .
thats it for now have  more to tell you all another time if you want .
hope this helps .
if we all chip in we will have that much info the finds will never stop  :)
cheers diggertrev

Offline Balf

• Silver

0%

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 22:30 »
Great advice Trev, doing the research definately increases the finds. Google earth is terrific for locating sites, i have used it extensively when trying to find township sites in the Divide.....................Ba lf

Offline Sskim

• Gold

0%
    • I live in: Brisbane Qld

• Total Badges: 25
    1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 21:27 »
Wow what a thing. I wish we had this sort of information available for Brisbane. I tried to do some digging at the John Oxley museum but I found it very time consuming and since I am time poor I stopped after a while. I ahve also been buying publications from the local historical societies which are quite good The other benefit is it gave me a better idea of the lcoal history and can be a talking topic at the BBQ. If u know of any itneresting sites that have information about Brisbane please let me know..

the following sites are also interesting and will keep folks busin for hours and hours:

http://www.pictureaustralia.org/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/statelibraryqueensland/

http://www.slq.qld.gov.au/whats-on/exhibit/online/timewalks/bris/1870/jpg

Have fun

I am keen to ehar about any sites that cover old properties and the like, old bridges, swimming holes, ferry crossings, old race tracks etc.

• Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro and Gold Snoop Pro

Red

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2009, 22:28 »
Here's a good one Sskim -  http://www.heritageaustralia.com.au/search.php?state=QLD 
I have posted it before  as it's not limited to Qld  ;)

Offline Sskim

• Gold

0%
    • I live in: Brisbane Qld

• Total Badges: 25
    1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2009, 19:54 »
Very professionaly layed out that site Red. Tanks heaps
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro and Gold Snoop Pro

Roger

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 16:53 »
Hi barf , i am a new member and are trying to get through the Eight easy steps , i get to the part where it tells me to enter County/Parish/ Township
I enter either the county or township , but doesn t give me a list underneath to choose from or view,  :-\ any ideas what i am doing wrong
Thanks  Roger 

Offline Balf

• Silver

0%

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2009, 20:30 »
Roger, unfortunately the digital list is not 100% complete. Just use the link on the website to contact Landata and give them your detailed request, they are very prompt repliers and generally go out of their way to help. If you have trouble, let me know.................Balf

manifestmktg

Great information Balf. Thanks for the guide :)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 11:54 by manifestmktg »

Offline TopCat

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Sth East Melb
    • Youtube's channel
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 23
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 15:32 »
The county link is no longer working, in which I can't sem to find any updates (new link) form the main "land,vic,gov,au" website:

* A tip........ all areas in Victoria ( and other States are broken up into what are called Counties ( originally referred to as an area under control of a Count of the Crown, strangely enough! ) You may need to know which County your town or area is situated in , if you are having trouble with this , refer to the following website .........http://services.land.vic.gov.au/CountyPlans/........ this will give you the correct County.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX3030, Whites GMT (no longer), Minelab Excallibur II, Minelab GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: (Both during trip to UK in May 2011) - 1895 English One Shilling, "Trade Weight" between 1760 - 1820
Finds bags from Jan 15th, 2012

Pre Decimal - 1921 Half Penny
International - 2 Euro Cents

1c   - n/a
2c   - x1
5c   - x15
10c - x4
20c - x7
50c - x1
$1  - x5
$2  - x10
----------------
Total - $28.07
----------------

Button - x1
Medalians - x2
Toy cars - x2

Offline Austacker

• Silver

0%
    • I live in: Sydney, NSW

• Total Badges: 20
    500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 21:33 »
Does anyone know if there's anything like this for NSW yet?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelabs X-Terra 30 & Garret Pinpointer Pro
  • Oldest find: 1900 3p

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 634

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Austacker

• Silver

0%
    • I live in: Sydney, NSW

500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelabs X-Terra 30 & Garret Pinpointer Pro
  • Oldest find: 1900 3p

Offline garrettguy

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Kempsey nsw

Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 10:43 »
What are the treicks for detecting old tips? Wouldnt you find alot of
iron and rubbish? How do you find antique bottles and anything good in these areas?
Im very interested in detecting a few old dump sites in my area but I dont know how
to do it correctly. Im using an at pro international and mostly detect the beach and just thought old dumps would be a hard area to detect due to junk.
Thanks if any one can give some good pointers
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett at pro international, Fisher CZ 21,little eagle shovel
  • Oldest find: 1917 penny
Money found
Total to date $67.00
Only $999933 to go

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything