* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Destroying the grass!  (Read 9251 times)

Offline JJKING

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: SE QLD
  • Likes Given: 3

• Total Badges: 11
    Badges: (View All)
    10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Destroying the grass!
« on: October 14, 2012, 12:44 »
Hey all, I'm new to the game. I have been hunting some school yards lately (with permission :) ) and I've hit a nice patch that's giving me some great coins but everytime I return, my dig holes are standing out like dog ****! I feel awful about it. The area has had no rain for awhile and it looks to be like it for some time. How do i help this? I use a small digging utensil and take alot of time pinpointing so i narrow it down the best i can. Should i carry a water bucket with me  ??? the kids must be hating me
  • Detector(s) owned/used: gold snoop pro, Teknetics T2 LTD, Minelab GP3500
  • Oldest find: 1913 pennys, Gold nugget

Offline DigDig

• Gold

0%
    • I live in: nil
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 22
    1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Destroying the grass!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 14:03 »
There are two methods, I will dig them for you   ;)

start with this : http://www.goldpanprospectors.com/accessories.html
There are a couple of links on the page...
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 14:09 by DigDig »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: nil
  • Oldest find: nil

Offline Coin Ranger

• Platinum

0%
  • Likes Given: 7

• Total Badges: 29
    1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 19:06 »
JJKing,

Several factors come into play on this - your proficiency, what type of tool your using, how big the plug is, what angle you dig the plug at, what type of grass your cutting through, how dry the soil is etc ...

Ideally you want to extract the coin in the least amount of time, with the least amount of effort, with the least amount of damage to the turf and with minimal risk to the target.

Consider the factors at play and work out a methodology that works for you.

Lately for me its been small (tennis ball sized), vertical sided plugs using the little eagle shovel. I'll put about 20% of the loose soil off to one side, reinstate the plug, use my heel in a twisting motion to compress the plug so it sits just below ground height, I'll then use the loose soil to fill any gaps and scratch the around around the hole with my boot to camouflage it a bit more. Properly done it takes little time and is virtually undetectable in all but the thickest lawns. If I get some time I'll try and take a video of it.

For thick, lush lawns you may just have to wait for a rainy season to work the ground.

Happy hunting.

CR
  • Detector(s) owned/used: E-Trac (& Teknetics Omega)
  • Oldest find: 1816 George III Shilling

Offline Sskim

• Gold

0%
    • I live in: Brisbane Qld
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 25
    1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 19:12 »
I tend to hunt perhaps 3 areas mostly and I leave them to recover and go further afield and wait for rain
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro and Gold Snoop Pro

Offline werewolf

• Platinum

6.67%
    • I live in: Illawarra, NSW
  • Likes Given: 180

• Total Badges: 38
    Nineth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Eighth year Anniversary Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 20:30 »
Personally I'd be leaving well alone if your damage is that evident - esp in such a public place ::) If the ground is very dry you will always leave a tell-tale sign. Hunt less prominent places for a while, come back when the rains come. Or risk being kicked off site.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Cibola & Minelab Etrac
  • Oldest find: Spanish 2 Reale - from between 1760 - 1771

Offline Count Pierre

• Platinum

3.33%
    • I live in: Queensland
  • Likes Given: 348

• Total Badges: 34
    Sixth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 19:26 »
I generally use the same method as CR, but when it is really dry, which it is now in my area, I have gone back to the screwdriver method.

Using a pinpointer gives a pretty accurate area to dig, & the screwdriver does not leave as much evidence of a "hole". ::)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites DFX + 5 Coils (retired)- Currently, ML Safari with RNB Battery,Whites MX5
  • Oldest find: 1817 George 3 Shilling
If I can't handle it, I'll go & have a few beers, or a red wine....or both.... & go from there!

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum
  • SO MUCH GROUND....SO LITTLE TIME.

6.67%
    • I live in: Shearwater
  • Likes Given: 48

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 19:44 »
I am taking to using the screwdriver as well more as a challenge than anything as the soil is drying here but isnt to bad yet. I have a very fine cheapie screwdriver that I use to find the target then a more substantial one to dig the target with.  Is my first summer with a metal detector so am going to have to learn some self control during the hotter months or find some non parks to dig in.
Roger
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 2
  • Oldest find: 1806 King George III penny
The bucket list. Gothic Florin - found, Gold ring - found, Trench Art - not found, Sunrise badge - not found, Cricket buckle = not found, Sov or half Sov - not found.

Online GemQ

• Platinum

56.67%
    • I live in: Melbourne
    • GEMQ1 Channel
    • Youtube's channel
  • Likes Given: 701

• Total Badges: 46
    Seventh year Anniversary Coin of the year 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 05:44 »
JJ

The bottom line is there are going to be times during the year that its best to rest a place until conditions are better. Good thing about coins and relics they don't go anywhere.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: CTX 3030 " The Weapon", GPX 4500 "The Gold Wand"
  • Oldest find: Cartwheel Penny
Enjoy the hunt, love the pre-decimals & Nuggs

Offline JJKING

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: SE QLD
  • Likes Given: 3

• Total Badges: 11
    10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 12:17 »
Thanks everyone for your great ideas! I think i will give the place a rest for now. I am going to try out all your different methods and see which works best for me. I have mixed feelings about how effective the screwdriver will be with this area, it has a few different soil layers eg  hard clay, very compacted dirt with sea shells and small/large rocks thrown in. I guess it will come to me with a bit of practice! Bring on the rains  :)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: gold snoop pro, Teknetics T2 LTD, Minelab GP3500
  • Oldest find: 1913 pennys, Gold nugget

Offline Halfpennyhound

• Gold
  • Dig em all...let MODS sort em out.

0%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Likes Given: 50

• Total Badges: 26
    500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 07:19 »
JJ

The bottom line is there are going to be times during the year that its best to rest a place until conditions are better. Good thing about coins and relics they don't go anywhere.
That is of course if a sneaky lurka steals your spot and doesent care about the grass...prepare the lynch mob.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett350,garrett gta500/2500,ATpro,garrett pin pointer,Sovereign Gt.
  • Oldest find: 1857 traders token
I think I'm meant to put something creative here........

Offline Worth a Look...

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Gosford NSW
  • Likes Given: 2

• Total Badges: 19
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 10:46 »
There are two methods, I will dig them for you   ;)

start with this : http://www.goldpanprospectors.com/accessories.html
There are a couple of links on the page...

This is an Old Post. But as a new Detectorist i think that It has plenty of Merit. And wouldn't Hurt to remind us of the options of
retrieving  our finds. The Video is probably clearer than the written  instructions.

Thanks to DIG DIG for the Post and the link.

Cheers Bill
  • Detector(s) owned/used: xterra305
  • Oldest find: 1993 $1.00 coin .
Total $6.00. so far.

Offline magpie

• Bronze
  • try me i'll make you famous ......

0%
    • I live in: tasmania
  • Likes Given: 1

100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2013, 17:43 »
where is digdig   .............   
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett at gold.. ++ garrett pro pointer ++ garrett edge digger
  • Oldest find: 1797 cartwheel penny,1835 3 pence silver

Offline lewy

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: darwin

• Total Badges: 8
    Fourth year Anniversary First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 08:03 »
I know this is an old post but just going through you never know what you may find,In a small site like a school or park just have a spare bucket of good quality topsoil with you,allow 1 extra scoop from the bucket per hole dosn't take long and looks good when the nosy public come for a gander as you can explain what you are doing.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: whites tdi oz

Offline Slothy

• Gold
  • The Pulltab Punisher!

0%
    • I live in: Radelaide, SA
  • Likes Given: 24

• Total Badges: 23
    Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2014, 01:32 »
I find these gasket scrapers work really well for coin popping. The wider head seems to be more efficient than a screwdriver.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sidchrome-Long-Blade-Gasket-Scraper-NEW-/271269622346?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f28edf24a
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites Coinmaster GT, Garrett EuroAce, Garrett AT Pro, Pro-pointer, Xpointer
  • Oldest find: Mid-1800's Gilt flat button, 1863 Vicki penny
Oldest coin - 1863 English Penny
Rings sniffed - 8
Spoons - 6

Offline yellastuff

• Silver
  • Another Pulltab ! Bugger .

0%
    • I live in: SE Queensland
  • Likes Given: 81

• Total Badges: 20
    Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 08:06 »
I would have to agree with a comment above .  Wait for rain .  I have been to a few spots myself around the area and what I have seen is pretty bad .   Looks like some newby is using a full blown sand shovel   .  Even being a newbie myself ,I can now pinpoint and just dig a hole as square as the Lesche ,about 50mm square . Still a good idea to wait until the soil is wet .  Gaz
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Explorer SE Pro ,Minelab Profind
  • Oldest find: 1886 QV Penny
mmmmmmmmmmm  pre dec

Offline Jaskel

• Silver

0%
    • I live in: Penriff, NSW

• Total Badges: 18
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2014, 19:03 »
plenty of rain in Sydney finally!! whoohoo

ok here is a nice vid to help u dig your hole with minimal damage!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thdikCbrrXE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thdikCbrrXE</a>
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett Ace 250, Latest Gen Whites Coinmaster
  • Oldest find: 1875 Penny

Offline yellastuff

• Silver
  • Another Pulltab ! Bugger .

0%
    • I live in: SE Queensland
  • Likes Given: 81

Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2014, 21:12 »
Good part about the hole . Nearly exactly what I do  , I don't think he has a pointer   ;D Thanks J.                    Gaz
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Explorer SE Pro ,Minelab Profind
  • Oldest find: 1886 QV Penny
mmmmmmmmmmm  pre dec

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum
  • SO MUCH GROUND....SO LITTLE TIME.

6.67%
    • I live in: Shearwater
  • Likes Given: 48

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2014, 14:16 »
plenty of rain in Sydney finally!! whoohoo

ok here is a nice vid to help u dig your hole with minimal damage!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thdikCbrrXE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thdikCbrrXE</a>

I think while he didnt make a mess he would have killed the plug pulling the dirt off the roots like that. A probe or pinpointer to find the target and disturbing the plug as little as possible would make it a good system IMHO.
Roger
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 2
  • Oldest find: 1806 King George III penny
The bucket list. Gothic Florin - found, Gold ring - found, Trench Art - not found, Sunrise badge - not found, Cricket buckle = not found, Sov or half Sov - not found.

Offline Jaskel

• Silver

0%
    • I live in: Penriff, NSW

• Total Badges: 18
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2014, 15:35 »
Yes it was more of a correct way to dig the plug

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab CTX3030, Minelab Xterra 705, Garrett Ace 250, Latest Gen Whites Coinmaster
  • Oldest find: 1875 Penny

Offline terendak22

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: George Town, Tasmania

• Total Badges: 2
    First Post
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2016, 22:43 »
Probably teaching grandmother to suck eggs, but here goes.!!! When I finally detect on lawns anywhere, I intend to take a small spray bottle with me with a mixture of liquid Seasol and water, and before I put the plug back, give it a spray. I think it would help, if it stands out because it's too green, would be better than dead grass.!!!
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Euro Ace 350
  • Oldest find: none

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

13.33%
    • I live in: Close to the shear water .
  • Likes Given: 15

Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2016, 23:06 »
Once you get the hang of the probe rod and screw driver you don't leave any damage at all. I will not cut the grass no matter what.
I remove the target with a pair of forceps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzEZNWMXKDE
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 05:52 by beepn »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites v3i, Whites Dual Field e-trac, Quattro, Exterra 70, Sovereign xs, Whites Goldmaster, Whites p.i. Minelab 2100, Aquasport, Garrett a2b, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett bfo, Bridge Wright, Bounty Hunter rb7, Bounty Hunter rb5, Whites 6000d, Whites 6db
Horse sense is the result of stable thinking.

Offline beepn

• Silver
  • detecting since 1977

13.33%
    • I live in: Close to the shear water .
  • Likes Given: 15

Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 06:54 »
The first part of video using the probe rod and screw driver is the way I retrieve the target apart from using a pair of forceps.
I would not use any of the other methods because of likely comeback and making it hard for other detectorists.

Hoo Roo.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites v3i, Whites Dual Field e-trac, Quattro, Exterra 70, Sovereign xs, Whites Goldmaster, Whites p.i. Minelab 2100, Aquasport, Garrett a2b, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett bfo, Bridge Wright, Bounty Hunter rb7, Bounty Hunter rb5, Whites 6000d, Whites 6db
Horse sense is the result of stable thinking.

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

36.67%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Likes Given: 1596

Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2016, 13:29 »
I tend to slice and pop.  A simple cut/slit and a pop.  Target and pinpoint the coin ( A good pin pointer and know how to use it) and then using a sharp knife; dig the blade in a bit past the coin and slice backwards onto it.  If it feels like a coin and not a ring pull (you will get to know the difference) then keep coming and once past the coin. Dig the blade in at an angle under the coin AND pop it out.

A quick stamp and as good as gold.   

If you targeting silvers etc = As per Beepn.   And you can use a brass or other probe and forceps to get the coin 
Hate plugs with a passion.   All too often the coin is only just below the surface as well.

Many do not like my comments - but Plugs in a High Vis and or other public places are the signs of  a recovery process that is lacking some core skills.     YEP = may sound a bit harsh but if I an others can recover without plugs = Can not be that hard.

PS.  Yes, I also started off digging plugs - but after reviewing the outcome in my back yard AND my wife having a few words...  I changed my methods LOL

• Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

Offline lazyaussie

• Platinum

23.33%
    • I live in: Clunes Vic
  • Likes Given: 1200

• Total Badges: 32
    Eighth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2016, 17:49 »
the slit & pop method is great for newer & shallow coins but when your hunting for older & deeper coins/relics it's dam near impossible so plug hunting the damper times of year is also a good option.   
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett AT pro, garrett ace 250, garrett pro pointer, garrett sea hunter, whites dual field,
  • Oldest find: 1797 cartwheel penny x 2
pirate monkeys do it in the sea

Offline terendak22

• Iron

0%
    • I live in: George Town, Tasmania

• Total Badges: 2
    First Post
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2016, 15:21 »
Hi, I'm new to detecting, but was thinking that if and when I detect in parks etc, I will take a small spray bottle with a mixture of Liquid Seasol and water with me. Give a squirt before I replace the plug, and also after.!! Be worth a try.

Mick
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Euro Ace 350
  • Oldest find: none

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam