Australian Metal Detecting and Relic Hunting

Australian Metal Detecting and Relic Hunting Forum

* Share it Around

What's your other hobbie???(Read 42026 times)
Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #50 on: December 09, 2012, 16:42
l ride bmx vert ramps luv the rush my other hobbie is fishing
  • Detector(s) owned/used: x terra 305/garrett sea hunter/ minelab safari
  • Oldest find: 1797 cartwheel penny

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #51 on: December 09, 2012, 18:01
I dabble in electronics,I've made a Pulse induction MD from the Geotech1 site .
I will make another soon..always trying to improve etc.
My other hobbies are R/C aircraft.
And last but not least I'am rebuilding / modifying a mid eighties Harley Davidson into a
Bobber. :o
( I'am an ex mechanic)
But love MD'ing ;)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Fisher Gold bug2 (the Duck),Whites Eagle Spectrum,exterra 70,Garret ADS deepseeker
  • Oldest find: The missus

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #52 on: December 09, 2012, 19:01
Fishing and mixed martial arts (mma)for me.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro , Ace 250
  • Oldest find: 1911 Penny

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #53 on: December 10, 2012, 00:24
Fishing, 4wheel driving, travelling Australia, reading Australian history in particular Australian military history.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: gpx4500, CTX3030, pro pointer, pro finder
  • Oldest find: Gold

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #54 on: December 10, 2012, 09:05
My "hobby" is the study of the 1914-18 Great War....it extends beyond a hobby really. I work in the field too. When I come home from work I relax by...studying the Great War. Once or twice a year I like to lead tour groups to the Australian Battlefields of the Western Front.

There is nothing I like more than putting people in touch with their heritage and connecting relatives with the men from their family who were AIF soldiers. All my spare money goes into buying books on the subject. I have written on the subject in books and in the media which I absolutely love doing. I have also co-hosted the Melbourne ABC radio coverage of the ANZAC Day march for the last couple of years which has been great.

I have assisted with historical and archaeological projects including the "Missing" of Fromelles, the result of which will be a very hard act for me to follow.

In my travels I often find things both with and without a metal detector that would "blow your mind".
I've enjoyed reading about other detectorists hobbies outside detecting. Thanks guys for sharing.

Tim
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 09:11 by Timfromtallarook »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Fisher F75SE, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel Pennies X2, 1817 & 1818 George III Shillings, 1826 George IV Shilling, circa 1840's Musket Balls

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #55 on: December 10, 2012, 10:56
Hi Guys,

Splashing a bit of colour on the canvas again. As i only do a painting every now and then i had a guy call the other night to see if i would like to join the art group in 2013 .As they only have 12 in the group and have art displays around Perth i had to take in 4 paintings to have 3 of the top boys run their eyes over then  and they were pleased to accept me . Ihave painted ever since i started my apprenticeship as a signwriter and had to do some large murals around Melbourne. You just have to have plenty of interests an at 74 time is running out.

Regards Beepn.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites v3i, Whites Dual Field e-trac, Quattro, Exterra 70, Sovereign xs, Whites Goldmaster, Whites p.i. Minelab 2100, Aquasport, Garrett a2b, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett bfo, Bridge Wright, Bounty Hunter rb7, Bounty Hunter rb5, Whites 6000d, Whites 6db
Horse sense is the result of stable thinking.

! Reply #56 on: December 10, 2012, 21:16
Four Wheel Driving & writing poetry for me. One of my poems was done by a calligropher and hangs in the Coffs Harbour Ex-Services Club foyer with the mannequins it was written about. The mannequins wear military uniforms.
Here is one I wrote for a new Dad's first Father's Day hope you enjoy it:

HELLO DAD

©Keith Haycraft

Wow! Our first Father's Day together!
I am far too young to know it yet
but I am going to love you forever;
you and I will be a perfect fit!

You are going to be delighted by me,
I am going to adore you too
there will be lots of exciting things to see
and there is so much that we can do.

I am going to wrap you around my finger
(even better than Mummy can.)
You'll prefer to not go to work but linger
and I will affect all your plans.

While I look at the world with amzement,
you will look at me and wonder how
such a small person can bring you contentment-
your life will be so different now!

Everything I do will amaze both of us,
the whole world will be new to my eyes.
Just wait 'til you see how much I make you fuss
and how hard to protect me you'll try.

Change my nappies before I eat solid food
because the smell won't be so bad
(solid food will make me do smelly poos)
tell Mum you've done your share and be glad.

A world of adventure awaits you and me Dad,
let's enjoy Father's Day number one.
We have a lifetime to be happy and sad
but most important, we will share love.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelan XT17000 & Gold Snoop Pro, Minelab Safari & Fisher Gold Bug DP
  • Oldest find: 1903 Penny

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #57 on: December 10, 2012, 22:34
Hi Golden Genie,

Excellent treatments and great composition in your art work. top stuff.

Regards Beepn.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites v3i, Whites Dual Field e-trac, Quattro, Exterra 70, Sovereign xs, Whites Goldmaster, Whites p.i. Minelab 2100, Aquasport, Garrett a2b, Garrett Deepseeker, Garrett bfo, Bridge Wright, Bounty Hunter rb7, Bounty Hunter rb5, Whites 6000d, Whites 6db

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #58 on: December 10, 2012, 23:17
What a great thread!!

I've moved it to the 'Off Topic' section and made it a sticky.  Keep the replies coming in - what a talented bunch you all are  ;D.

Sambo
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Teknetics Omega, Minelab Explorer II
  • Oldest find: 1826 King George IV Penny ; 1843 QV Four Pence (Groat)

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #59 on: December 11, 2012, 14:47
I guess talent and metal detecting go hand in hand.very impressed everyone.this turned out to be a great post...good for me.lol.  :)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett350,garrett gta500/2500,ATpro,garrett pin pointer,Sovereign Gt.
  • Oldest find: 1857 traders token
I think I'm meant to put something creative here........

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #60 on: December 11, 2012, 15:26
May as well wack a few more pics up, this time bird studies.

The Red Wattlebird, also known as Barkingbird or Gillbird, is one of the largets honeyeaters in Australia.

Australian Pelican (i have a better capure of this bloke but cant locate it)

Eastern Great Egret

Pity photo compression for the net knocks the life out of them but you get the idea.

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #61 on: December 11, 2012, 17:12
Hi all i collect starwars or should i say it collects me last total about 15 thousand dollars and still growing. Figures vehicles books stamps you name it ive proberly got it thanks .
                                                                                                                             Shane :o
woofy-5

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #62 on: December 11, 2012, 22:41
Hope you were not the guy from eBay that I bought stuff from,and when I came to pick up my goods you were wearing your dirty y fronts inviting me in for a wine...lol..
But in guessing your figures are1970-1980s.that's great.can I see pictures...
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett350,garrett gta500/2500,ATpro,garrett pin pointer,Sovereign Gt.

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #63 on: December 13, 2012, 09:32
Hi halfpennyhound nah wasnt me i wear jocks .
                                                                       I started a little latter some early figures but mostly from the 90s and onward would like to post pictures but dont know how(old  fart)and i dont think a lot would be to interested im just a big kid at heart. thanks Shane :o

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #64 on: December 13, 2012, 16:38
nonsense,id like to see,everybody was a kid once...well when you learn how to post pictures ill be waiting.

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #65 on: December 14, 2012, 14:02

Hi
      Halfpennyhound  i like your collection pictures i wish i had a room to display all my  stuff but to many pepole for a small house and one 22 year old that wont shift out .If you are ever chasing any thing from Starwars give me a shout i have quite a few doubles and things im thinking about selling want to get a bit more into collecting the more expencive collectables.
                                                                                                 Thanks Shane

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #66 on: December 14, 2012, 17:43
That's only about 50%...the rest is in boxes..Also got heaps of gijoes,tmnt,captin planet,and other fads that passed.good luck with the booting out of the kid..lol

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #67 on: December 14, 2012, 20:53
Havent posted in the forum lately for various reasons, but here is something I can contribute to!

It is actually one of the reasons I have less time for detecting lately.

Since these pics, I have finished the neck, started on the dome (head), and started working out how to make the "bumps".
Eventually it will be a full working Dalek, with a seat inside and a voice modulator so I can interact with people. Scary huh?

You had to ask!
Mog.

• Detector(s) owned/used: Xterra 305, E-trac, Garrett Pro-Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1861 Penny, Chinese coins

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #68 on: December 14, 2012, 21:05
wtf is that in the above pic?

is it some kind of high speed toilet unblocker with that plunger?

would be interested to know what you do with that? 
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 22:19 by jarhead »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Beaten up ETrac, CTX 3030
  • Oldest find: 1655 French coin (found in Australia)

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #69 on: December 14, 2012, 21:28
wtf is that in the above pic?

is it some kind of high speed toilet unblocker with that plunger?

would be interested to know you do with that?
:o :o ;D ;D
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Ace250, Garrett AT Pro International, Minelab GPX5000, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Lesche Raptor
  • Oldest find: 1833 Liberty Head One Cent

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #70 on: December 14, 2012, 22:52
What a great bunch of people we have on here love the craftmanship and the painters truly fantastic
I'm into marine archaeology and cosmology the study of the universe do a bit of fly fishing but compared to most on here i pale into insignificance
but i do fly south for the winter lol
  • Detector(s) owned/used: compass yukon,Garrett ace 250 and 350 and AT Pro, Gold bug 2, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark, Tesoro Lobo Supertrac, Tesoro Tejon,Tesoro Cortes Minelab Gpx 4000 Minelab E trac

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #71 on: December 14, 2012, 23:01
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D Jarhead, i think it's one of the props off The Big Bang Theory. :o

What's your other hobbie??? Reply #72 on: December 14, 2012, 23:14
It's off doctor who!!! The old version lol, it's says exterminate , exterminate .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab xterra 705, Garrett ace 250 , Garrett at pro, minelab ctx3030 , whites coin master
  • Oldest find: 2000BC Bronze Age terrot ring part..
Sent from my relic display case

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #73 on: December 15, 2012, 06:26
I wonder if this model dalik can fly.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Re: What's your other hobbie??? Reply #74 on: December 15, 2012, 10:36
Hi Mog
            Its a Darlek from Doctor who the ones in the series on tv had landrover tail light domes off of the series model 1 to 3  for their bumps.
                                                                      Thanks Shane    :o