* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Solution to limit volume on 3rd party earphones?  (Read 3486 times)

Offline chrisg

• Bronze

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Woomboohbera
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 17
    Badges: (View All)
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Solution to limit volume on 3rd party earphones?
« on: July 08, 2013, 21:28 »
The lack of volume control on the AT Pro is nothing new to owners. I could care less on private property, but I don't like to look like a ham radio operator on the beach (and with the reports of sweaty ears in Summer) I'm trying to get a low profile earphone setup going. Plus I can wear a wide brimmed hat with earphones.  8)

I use the supplied Garrett headphones at the lowest volume setting and can hear the faintest signal without issue. My hearing is far from perfect, I have slight industrial deafness and tinnitus from too many concerts in my 20s. ::)

My first bright idea was to source low sensitivity earphones. I would have been happy with neckband headphones (bigger drivers = better sound), but they are in short supply these days, and are all high sensitivity or high priced. So earphones it is.

Anything above 85 decibels will cause permanent hearing loss if exposed repeatedly. Most off the shelf earphones are more sensitive than headphones for some reason, and run from 115db to 135db.

After searching high and low I found 95db headphones. I figured that would be close enough to comfortable volume.

Dead wrong. Loud as all hell once a signal is clear. :(

So my next idea was to buy a volume limiter, considering I'm already at 95db. There's a fair few identical ones from China, but I'm impatient so I ordered one from Australia. The bonus is that it does stereo volume separately, just like the Garrett headphones.

Those arrived today. It turns out that the AT Pro outputs a mono signal and not stereo, so the volume limiter I bought is basically useless. The left controls the volume, and minimum volume is still too loud (much better, but probably still around 90db), and the right does nothing. I only wasted $3 so it's no loss.

So my question is, has anybody else found a solution for this? The only option I have left is to buy kids earphones, as they are volume limited from factory. They are also typically shaped Spongebob Squarepants, Pirates, or Butterflies. ;D

And I'm not knocking those who wear Grey Ghosts and the like - I have a nice pair of Sennheiser PXC-450s that cost me a small fortune. I know good headphones, but for the frequencies put out by the AT Pro aren't as nuanced as high bitrate music, so earphones fit the bill perfectly.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 21:31 by chrisg »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Pro U.S.

Offline skyv

• Bronze

6.67%
    • I live in: Victoria
  • Likes Given: 371

• Total Badges: 22
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Solution to limit volume on 3rd party earphones?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 08:56 »
chrisg

You could build your own external volume control which will go to zero volume (not a lot in it) or perhaps modify the volume limiter you bought to do the job.
If you can't do it yourself, maybe you know someone with basic soldering skills.
I have attached a diagram for the inline volume control.

skyv
  • Detector(s) owned/used: E-TRACK
  • Oldest find: Token 1788

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

63.33%
    • I live in: Tropical North Qld. Australia
  • Likes Given: 97

• Total Badges: 24
    Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 10:01 »
Same solution as for headphone adapter.

Use the full length of wire from Garrett headphones.
Obtain a 6mm and a 3.5mm stereo socket and a small liniar single gang 5k?  potentiometer + a knob.
Assemble all in small project box with a belt clip/holder.

Work well with all headphones inc. (Dick Smith...In-Ear Neckband Headphones  A2081)

ivanll
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whats suitable for me to do the job!

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 682

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 10:08 »
It is a good idea having both size sockets or the stepdown adapter. I have a little Ace 250 on the way. As soon as i know it works correctly, i am going to look into controlling the audio output somehow.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

LazyTrommel

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 10:29 »
I tied my volume control into the internal speaker.. Since headphones give me the S!@#$.... Works well.. Wish I still had the detector to post pics.. It's an easy mod though.. *if you can make room for the POT*
Or you could try a 6mm inline volume control..

Offline chrisg

• Bronze

0%

100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 20:46 »
Okay after a few attempts I gave up and paid somebody to make a box similar to the ones above. I didn't want to butcher the standard headphones, for the times when I'd like to use them. I've attached the new box, using velcro tape, underneath the armrest, and used velcro ties to keep the cabling sorted.

The volume control is brilliant, and knocks all my earphones and headphones down to a non-deafening decibel level.

Here's photos:

Offline Eds61

• Copper

3.33%
    • I live in: Sutherland area
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 15
    Fourth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 17:16 »
That looks a good set up
What was the cost if you don't mind me asking
Cheers
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty hunter land star , at pro , pro pointer
  • Oldest find: 1880 penny

Offline chrisg

• Bronze

0%

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 18:45 »
The box was just under $20 shipped. The garrett adapter cable is around $30 normally I think, I bought it as part of a package so I'm unsure.

And the Velcro was cheap. :)

Offline RangerBob

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: The Golden Triangle, Vic.
  • Likes Given: 3

• Total Badges: 18
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 18:53 »
That's a very neat solution, I should do something similar for th Gold Bug
I have many pots & jiffy boxes + electronics from when I made kits as a kid
(which got me into the work I do now)
Anyway, well done I like it ;)
R
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab E-Trac,Fisher Gold Bug DP, Makro Gold Racer (X-Terra 705 -Sold), (GPX5000-sold), DeTeknics Xpointer, (GPX4500-sold)
  • Oldest find: 1857 Holloway Token

Offline Eds61

• Copper

3.33%
    • I live in: Sutherland area
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 15
    Fourth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 22:05 »
Thanks Chris
That very reasonable , let us know how it goes

Eddy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty hunter land star , at pro , pro pointer
  • Oldest find: 1880 penny

Offline starvin1374

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: ACT
  • Likes Given: 13

• Total Badges: 14
    Third year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2015, 11:56 »
Sorry to reply to an old topic but I have a cheap answer to this common question. I purchased an AT Pro three weeks ago now but I don't like using the big head set provided with the machine as I prefer ear buds. I bought the Garrett 1/4 adaptor and was using normal earbuds but the sound was unbearably load so I came up with an easy fix.
Here is the easy and cheap alternative-
I purchased some everyday ear buds ($12.50) with the rubber end caps on the ear piece. Take the rubber caps off then get some normal kitchen foil. Fold the foil about four times and cut out a small circle. Place the foil over the ear piece and fold over like a little cap then place the rubber ends back on. Job done and works perfectly. Just experiment with different layers of foil to get the desired sound. I have been using mine for three weeks and have not had a problem. I hope this tip helps.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 11:59 by starvin1374 »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett 250 ace / Minelab safari/CTX3030
  • Oldest find: 1836 sixpence

Offline 6666

• Silver
  • Location, Melbourne, where a dingo ate my finds

6.67%
    • Youtube's channel

• Total Badges: 22
    Sixth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 14:05 »
Just buy a cord with in built volume control, thats what I do, about $1.00 on fleabay.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: My first Whites 1975, various others
  • Oldest find: 1836 Three pence
Aint found a half penny or penny yet, Remember the best discriminator is your digging tool.

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam