* Share it Around

Author Topic:  AIR TESTS- INFINIUM..AT GOLD..AT PRO..ATX  (Read 4963 times)

Offline raymondj

• Gold
  • Note to self-take battery off charger and bring

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: South Coast NSW
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 18
    Badges: (View All)
    500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
AIR TESTS- INFINIUM..AT GOLD..AT PRO..ATX
« on: November 27, 2013, 19:03 »
I have been doing some air tests to compare the Garret range of detectors for my self.  Thought I would share the results.  In my experience I have found a VLF machine will air test deeper then a PI machine, however that would change when in mineralised ground when the PI machine will overtake a VLF machine big time.

11 gram gold nugget.
AT Gold  9 1/4 inches.   AT Pro (Int)  9 1/4 inches.   Infinium with 10 X 14 mono coil  6 1/2 inches; with 8 inch mono 5 3/4 inches.  ATX with sensitivity on 13 (max);  8 1/2 inches.  With sensitivity on 10 (factory default);  6 inches.

1 gram gold nugget
AT Gold  5 1/2 inches.  AT Pro (Int)  4 inches.   Infinium with 10 X 14 mono coil   3 inches.  with 8 inch mono   3 inches.  ATX with sensitivity on 13 (max);  4 1/2 inches.  With sensitivity on 10 (factory default);  3 inches

9K mans wedding  ring
AT Gold  12 1/2 inches.  AT Pro  12 inches.  Infinium with 10 X 14 mono coil  11 1/2 inches.  with 8 inch mono  10 inches.  ATX with sensitivity on 13 (max);  12 inches.  With sensitivity on 10 (factory default);  11 inches.

These tests were just for myself out of curiosity... make of them what you want.  It would appear any real gain in depth requires the sensitivity of the ATX to be set at max.  13.  Both the AT Pro and AT Gold had the sensitivity set two notches from max.  The infinium was just in 'lock' after GB with an audible threshold.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 21:51 by raymondj »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Own now: Garrett Infinium... AT Gold with a NEL Hunter coil...AT Pro International for the missus...Minelab GP3000 and Garrett Pro-Pointers.
  • Oldest find: 1757 George II Farthing
...its better to have it and not need it.... then to need it and not have it...

Offline orgone500

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Northern Rivers NSW
  • Likes Given: 7

• Total Badges: 14
    50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: AIR TESTS- INFINIUM..AT GOLD..AT PRO..ATX
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 19:55 »
Thanks Raymondj for sharing the results. Out of curiosity, what coil did you have on the at Pro for the tests?? I've often wondered what difference there is between the Pro and Gold when they are both swinging the 5X8dd coil...

The ATX seems to be getting a bit more coverage now.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HLn0cZuwWI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HLn0cZuwWI</a>
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Current - Garrett AT Pro US - Teknetics G2 Previous - Fisher F2, Teknetics Omega
  • Oldest find: 1878 Three Pence

Offline raymondj

• Gold

0%

500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 20:09 »
Thanks Raymondj for sharing the results. Out of curiosity, what coil did you have on the at Pro for the tests?? I've often wondered what difference there is between the Pro and Gold when they are both swinging the 5X8dd coil...

The ATX seems to be getting a bit more coverage now.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HLn0cZuwWI" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HLn0cZuwWI</a>

The AT Pro had the standard 8.5 X 11 inch DD and the AT Gold had a NEL Hunter coil (12.5 X 8.5 inches).
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Own now: Garrett Infinium... AT Gold with a NEL Hunter coil...AT Pro International for the missus...Minelab GP3000 and Garrett Pro-Pointers.

Offline raymondj

• Gold

0%

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 22:02 »
..I measured the distance not when the machine first hit the target but when it would pull you up to investigate.  I also have very serious doubts about a 4.7 gram (at) 10 inches but then your machine may be one hell of a machine or the nugget small and thick.  As I said make of my tests what u want.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:46 by raymondj »

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

60%
    • I live in: Tropical North Qld. Australia
  • Likes Given: 80

• Total Badges: 24
    Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 12:24 »
My Infinium LS is modified for Australian conditions (so indicated by green sticker in battery compartment) it's so slow and insensitive that it can't possible impress anyone with any amount of air testing.

To days air test under roof cover on a 5c coin with original 14x10"DD coil.....8".

However an Infinium LS can be optimized by the user when the coil is used near the ground.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ATX have lots of improvement due to clever design combined with the inclusion of manual adjustments.

To days air test (5c coin) at same location as Infinium above..........original issued DD coil...Sens. at 8 (max useful under condition)......10"..........................las t week same ATX test 9".

I only need to keep the owner/user happy.  :)

ivanll
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whats suitable for me to do the job!

Offline ozman

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: murrumba downs qld
  • Likes Given: 2

Fifth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 18:54 »
HI Ivanll...who did the  mod on your infinium?....mine needs a bit more sensitivity ...ozman
  • Detector(s) owned/used: infinium, excalibur 2,mxt,vaquero
  • Oldest find: 1867

Offline FSH00

• Platinum
  • Work to live don't live to work

6.67%
    • I live in: QLD
  • Likes Given: 1534

• Total Badges: 41
    Sixth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring The TON Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 13:45 »
My finny as tested under roof in garrage on 5c: 14m=200mm,14dd=225mm,8in=205mm,7x5=140mm,7x10=160mm.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: To many is never enough
  • Oldest find: Vicky (bun) penny 18??
Tally: To old to keep count now

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

60%

Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 15:41 »
My finny as tested under roof in garage on 5c: 14m=200mm,14dd=225mm,8in=205mm,7x5=140mm,7x10=160mm.

I like numbers that are repeatable on demand when testing........numbers and audio that are not shy to appear on video should a camera/recording devise be aimed in the test direction.

Perhaps I can stretch my 5c air test distance to 8 3/4" with the 14x10"DD.....and count myself lucky to have an Ezy-Scoop with a long handle.  :)

ivanll

Offline FSH00

• Platinum
  • Work to live don't live to work

6.67%
    • I live in: QLD
  • Likes Given: 1534

• Total Badges: 41
    Sixth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring The TON Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 18:17 »
 :) :) I only have a still camera  :(  (that may change at Xmas  :) ) tested my first detector in the same way so decided to keep the test the same  for the rest  ;)

I do make sure the targets are a nice  repeatable signal & not just a waver in the threshold  ;)  having said that i all so use head phones for the tests  :-\
  • Detector(s) owned/used: To many is never enough
  • Oldest find: Vicky (bun) penny 18??
Tally: To old to keep count now

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

60%

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 21:16 »
FSH00

They are realistic solid numbers for an air test anybody with an Infinium LS should be able to obtain with confidence.

I like using a 5c coin for testing, everybody got one and can do an equivalent air test for comparison.

ivanll

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

10%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 20
    Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 17:48 »
Today I tested my Finny and the 10 x 14 mono and DD on an 8.45 oz lead nugg at 17 inches in mild iron mineralisation. Gave a clear but quiet Low / High. still got it at 20 inches  but not easy to hear in the EMI around my back yard.
      I will check the other coils on this nugg later today or tomorrow and then I will leave the nugg in the ground for a month and recheck to see if there is any difference.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Offline yellastuff

• Silver
  • Another Pulltab ! Bugger .

0%
    • I live in: SE Queensland
  • Likes Given: 81

Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 18:21 »
I have been doing some air tests to compare the Garret range of detectors for my self.  Thought I would share the results.  In my experience I have found a VLF machine will air test deeper then a PI machine, however that would change when in mineralised ground when the PI machine will overtake a VLF machine big time.

11 gram gold nugget.
AT Gold  9 1/4 inches.   AT Pro (Int)  9 1/4 inches.   Infinium with 10 X 14 mono coil  6 1/2 inches; with 8 inch mono 5 3/4 inches.  ATX with sensitivity on 13 (max);  8 1/2 inches.  With sensitivity on 10 (factory default);  6 inches.

1 gram gold nugget
AT Gold  5 1/2 inches.  AT Pro (Int)  4 inches.   Infinium with 10 X 14 mono coil   3 inches.  with 8 inch mono   3 inches.  ATX with sensitivity on 13 (max);  4 1/2 inches.  With sensitivity on 10 (factory default);  3 inches

9K mans wedding  ring
AT Gold  12 1/2 inches.  AT Pro  12 inches.  Infinium with 10 X 14 mono coil  11 1/2 inches.  with 8 inch mono  10 inches.  ATX with sensitivity on 13 (max);  12 inches.  With sensitivity on 10 (factory default);  11 inches.

These tests were just for myself out of curiosity... make of them what you want.  It would appear any real gain in depth requires the sensitivity of the ATX to be set at max.  13.  Both the AT Pro and AT Gold had the sensitivity set two notches from max.  The infinium was just in 'lock' after GB with an audible threshold.

No wonder I am happy with my AT PRO International  . These numbers prove its up there for relic / coin hunter like myself . If I am ever around gold country it can still be used .     Gaz
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Explorer SE Pro ,Minelab Profind
  • Oldest find: 1886 QV Penny
mmmmmmmmmmm  pre dec

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

10%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Likes Given: 1

Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 14:46 »
OK. On the same lead nugg as my previous  post.

The 5 x 10 went 12,6 inches max( A missable signa if you were a bit sleepy) and 11 inches an ok signal but not strong.
       3 x 7     "     10.6 inches Max and 9.5 inches an Ok signal but not strong.

I tried the 10 x 14s on a 10.1 oz lead nugg at 17 inches in mild ground and signal was not missable but at 20 inches the signal was quiet and might be missed if you were not paying attention.

This nugg measured approx 4cm x 6cm x 1.75cm.......A fairly large target when talking about lead or gold.

From the vids I have seen from Australia it would appear that the ATX has a significant depth advantage over the finny on big nuggs when using the 20 inch mono on the ATX.

The 10 x 14 Infinium mono is equiv to approx a 12inch round. It would be interesting to see how the Finny would go on the above nugg with a 20 inch eliptical mono like on the ATX. I reckon that there may not be much difference.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:20 by Adrian ss »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Offline goldpick

• Gold

16.67%
    • I live in: South East, South Australia
  • Likes Given: 416

• Total Badges: 19
    Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 19:07 »
I can manage about 9.5 inches in the air for a 5c coin, using the 10x14 mono in lock, target speed over the coil is paramount to picking up a decent signal, too fast and you will miss it.  Mine is also modified for Australian conditions.  Can't try the large DD as that is now cactus (early model DD with inherent flaws).  The 8" mono gets near to 8.25" on 5c, whilst the 5x10DD gets a tad below 7".  All target signals are a clear repeatable hi-lo on both passes of the coil, not threshold rises.

Just for giggles, the 10x14 mono will pick up a 30cm tent peg at 14", and a bobby pin at just over 8", two of the Infiniums most common junk targets! ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 19:31 by goldpick »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use: XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites SPP, XP Mi-6, Garrett AT Propointer, Minelab Pro-find, Whites TRX, Deteknix X-Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1806/7 KG3 HP's, penny, shilling & threepence

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything