* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Knock off garrett pro pointers ?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline yellastuff

• Silver
  • Another Pulltab ! Bugger .

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: SE Queensland
  • Likes Given: 81

• Total Badges: 20
    Badges: (View All)
    Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Knock off garrett pro pointers ?
« on: January 10, 2014, 21:44 »
I just bought a garrett pro pointer but after an internet search I am thinking I just purchased a knock off from china.  The site also sells any other brand you want including the GPX 5000 .  What the hell  ?  You should see all the detectors .I cant believe there is so much faking in so many hobbies .  I will add pics when it arrives .  Garry
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Explorer SE Pro ,Minelab Profind
  • Oldest find: 1886 QV Penny
mmmmmmmmmmm  pre dec

Offline BlacknWhite

• Silver
  • It's always a treasure to us.

0%
    • I live in: the Illawarra South Coast Region of NSW
    • BlacknWhite
  • Likes Given: 386

• Total Badges: 38
    The Gold Ring Cricket Buckle Roo Penny The TON Returned an Item Florin Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny Rising Sun Commonwealth Halfpenny
Re: Knock off garrett pro pointers ?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 22:10 »
What is the site yellastuff? It's best to warn everybody.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: seban Extreme (don't laugh), AT Pro, Sovereign GT, 2 x ML E-Tracs and a Tesoro Bandido II
  • Oldest find: 1816 KGIII Sixpence

Offline Marty

• Gold

20%
    • I live in: Hawkesbury River Region NSW Australia
  • Likes Given: 76

• Total Badges: 44
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts The Gold Ring Returned an Item Coin Of the Month Winner Coin of the year Half Soveriegn The Crown Comm Penny Nugget over an Ounce Full Sovereign 500 Posts
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 23:24 »
I reckon about the only way to get Genuine (( be it what ever make )) is from any well known reputable dealer that has the correct paperwork to go with it , No Dealer would put their name to shame by selling counterfeit gear

I bought 2 of these full knowing that they were knock off's and the kids just love them and if they loose them it wont break the bank

Marty
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Old -GP3000/3500, GPX 4000,4500, GB1 , GPX5000, current XTerra705 , ForsGold, CTX3030 , SDC2300 , GPZ7000
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel , 1806 & 07 George III half penny, 1823 & 25 Farthing , 1825 George IV Penny ,1876 20 Mark Gold German Wilhelm I, 1889 Queen Vic Jubilee Head Double Florin, 1937 Australian Crown, lost gold ring over 120yr ago, returned property owner
"Just Dig It and it will come"

Offline yellastuff

• Silver

0%

Third year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 23:35 »
I bought it of ebay Australia .    I did not know that the pointers where faked .  It may not be, but there is a good chance as it was only $130 and free postage .   If I new it was not genuine I would not have bought it .    On the other hand I have to look at if it works then maybe I can give it to the kids as you did Marty.   Like I said I don't know if it is or not but I will be looking at it very closely when it arrives.    I will try and do a link to the site that I found it on.   Garry
mmmmmmmmmmm  pre dec

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

60%
    • I live in: Tropical North Qld. Australia
  • Likes Given: 80

• Total Badges: 24
    Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 23:50 »
Looks like someone found Alibaba.com........same place Aldi gets their $99.99 detectors from.
They go under the name Coin Search ground Metal Detectors......US $30 each...min purchase 50 units.
Another name after imported to Australia is.......... Treasure Snoop.

ivanll
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whats suitable for me to do the job!

Offline Marty

• Gold

20%
    • I live in: Hawkesbury River Region NSW Australia
  • Likes Given: 76

• Total Badges: 44
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts The Gold Ring Returned an Item Coin Of the Month Winner Coin of the year Half Soveriegn The Crown Comm Penny Nugget over an Ounce Full Sovereign 500 Posts
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 23:52 »
Mate unless you have a genuine one right next to it you wont be able to tell even then , I doubt that you could they are that close to the real deal

if it picks up a $2 coin from 7cm you may have gotten luckuy

Marty
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Old -GP3000/3500, GPX 4000,4500, GB1 , GPX5000, current XTerra705 , ForsGold, CTX3030 , SDC2300 , GPZ7000
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel , 1806 & 07 George III half penny, 1823 & 25 Farthing , 1825 George IV Penny ,1876 20 Mark Gold German Wilhelm I, 1889 Queen Vic Jubilee Head Double Florin, 1937 Australian Crown, lost gold ring over 120yr ago, returned property owner
"Just Dig It and it will come"

Offline yellastuff

• Silver

0%

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2014, 00:11 »
Looks like someone found Alibaba.com........same place Aldi gets their $99.99 detectors from.
They go under the name Coin Search ground Metal Detectors......US $30 each...min purchase 50 units.
Another name after imported to Australia is.......... Treasure Snoop.

ivanll

That's it  ,     Alibaba .      Thanks   ivanll   for the link .  Here is where they get the fake /reproduction/copyies (or I like to call it    S#!T   from .    Is this Legal ?  Seriously .  I am not very happy .   

What is the performance of a genuine pro-pointer like . How far can they pick up say a $2 coin  ?    Thanks in advance . Garry
mmmmmmmmmmm  pre dec

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 632

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 07:38 »
The genuine pinpointer vibrates more as it gets closer to the target, a Chinese copy mention here previously and shown on a video clip just vibrated at the same speed no matter how close to the target it was.  Try some searching in our search section.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Adrian ss

• Gold

10%
    • I live in: Canberra
  • Likes Given: 1

Sixth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 08:00 »
That's it  ,     Alibaba .      Thanks   ivanll   for the link .  Here is where they get the fake /reproduction/copyies (or I like to call it    S#!T   from .    Is this Legal ?  Seriously .  I am not very happy .   

What is the performance of a genuine pro-pointer like . How far can they pick up say a $2 coin  ?    Thanks in advance . Garry

About 4 to 5 cm tops at switch on and about 7 to 8cm when super tuned with a piece of metal held in such a position to just cause the PP to start sounding and then back off until it goes just quiet.

I have noticed with some PPs that if you let the Pp sit still for several minutes after switch on that the initial detection distance of approx 5cm will streatch out to 7 to 8 cm. The pointer seems to continue to drift in tune a bit after switch on and if left long enough without detecting metal it will begin to chatter.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Safari, SDC 2300, 6000DI SL ,BHID,ML Stirling,GS 15000, Sov XS, Lobo ST, relic M 7,Fisher 553D & 555D,CX4PI,Infinium,Spectrum XLT.6000D,6000DI S 3, Gold Spear, Scorpion, CXII & CXIII,Pro Scan,Some Home Built VLFs & PIs and some others.
  • Oldest find: 1797 Cartwheel penny

Offline yellastuff

• Silver

0%

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 19:08 »
Well I have had the pro pointer for a couple of days now and after returning to a couple of holes that stumped me ,I had coins within 10 seconds each .   I then thought that I would just rub it over the top of the lawn .  To my surprise this thing picked up so many things it is not funny .  A 4 inch roof screw that I have mowed over at least 10 times (and it was on the surface )  5 pieces of fencing wire , on the surface again and have been over at least 10 times (bare feet mind you ) .  Close to ten nails a heap of foil . This was just the front yard and with the pro pointer . What a little machine .   I am not sure if it is china made now as the performance is outstanding ( it has a serial number ) .  .            Garry
mmmmmmmmmmm  pre dec

Offline OPYR

• Bronze

0%
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 17
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 18:15 »
I get exactly the same thing Adrian. If you leave it on the lawn while you did it tends to chatter a bit. Pro-Find 25 this is.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: X-Terra 305, Sovereign GT
  • Oldest find: 1878-1928 Brass Button
XT305 Spendables Tally: $6.70

Offline yellastuff

• Silver

0%

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2014, 19:43 »
Ok Guys and Girls ,   
                              I hate to admit it but I have been done .  The pointer is indeed a knockoff china job .  I would not have known but after buying an AT PRO lately the seller had a Garrett pro pointer . They look the same but do NOT perform the same . The one I purchased off ebay only picks up on metal at 5 cm MAX.  I will be asking the buyer for a refund . I don't care if the pointer has wear, Its going back for a refund .  It has wear because you have to shove it so far in the ground and so hard to find the target its not funny . Apart from that if there is any stress put on from pushing on the ground it will false  (even a bump ) Maybe I should have known but I am still a newbie :-[    I know now . 

With the AT deal came a Minelab Pro find . It has at least twice nearly three times the target distance  , it is just not right .     
                                                                        Gaz

mmmmmmmmmmm  pre dec

Offline Slothy

• Gold
  • The Pulltab Punisher!

0%
    • I live in: Radelaide, SA
  • Likes Given: 24

• Total Badges: 23
    Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 22:54 »
  I am not sure if it is china made now as the performance is outstanding ( it has a serial number ) .  .            Garry

Dont take any notice of serial numbers or packaging - the Chinese add them as matter of course to most knock-off stuff.

• Detector(s) owned/used: Whites Coinmaster GT, Garrett EuroAce, Garrett AT Pro, Pro-pointer, Xpointer
  • Oldest find: Mid-1800's Gilt flat button, 1863 Vicki penny
Oldest coin - 1863 English Penny
Rings sniffed - 8
Spoons - 6

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam