* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Shaggey grip repair option?  (Read 1140 times)

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    10%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Likes Given: 494

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Shaggey grip repair option?
« on: March 06, 2014, 12:54 »
Shaggy grips are a bit of a pain and unsightly.  They chip, shred, dangle, make the handle feel uncomfortable etc.

After getting a longer handled sandscoop as a part payment for an xterra coil I had sold and trialing it, I discovered that without a grip on it, the reinforced ally handle left my hand quite black with ally residue.  Mission?  Go out and buy some tape as a temp fix.

A trip down to the local Warehouse discount store is where I found some cheap cloth tape, but then out of curiosity I thought to check their sports section (thinking tennis raquet grips etc), what I found was cage fighting strapping tape for your hands (with velcros).  No worries I thought, tape the end to the handle and wrap and Velcro.  Then I discovered the end I was going to tape had what I assume is a thumb loop....no tape required, thread the Velcro end through the loop, tension and start winding. 

End result was I now have a grip on my scoop, but not content with that, the old gun tape from the previous owners repair of a cracked grip was showing a fair but of wear and tear (and getting sticky) so I got into that as well with some blue hand strapping (or what ever its called).  I'm pretty happy with the result, a cheap fix from the discount store (only $2 a pair, and even then a couple of them were double length (2 smaller ones joined).

So for a 'no mess' easy, even if temporary fix, I thought I'd share.  Adds a bit more comfort as the grip adds a little padding and wont go sticky like other alternatives.

First fuzzy pic of the shaggy looking grip handle on the explorer, then after as well as a pic of both finished products side by side.

• Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

Offline MikeSav

• Bronze
  • I can explain it to you, not understand it for you

0%
    • I live in: Gisborne
  • Likes Given: 121

• Total Badges: 20
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Shaggey grip repair option?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 13:28 »
Very neat job, looks like a bought one!!!    ;D
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Sovereign XS-2a, Sovereign GT, CTX3030, PistolProbe, Garett ProFinder
  • Oldest find: 1879 half penny

Offline Count Pierre

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Queensland
  • Likes Given: 336

• Total Badges: 34
    Sixth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 15:04 »

Won't miss you on the beach now, GN!   :)

I have a bike handle bar grip on one of my scoops.

They are the bee's D if the fit is ok. ;)

CP
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites DFX + 5 Coils (retired)- Currently, ML Safari with RNB Battery,Whites MX5
  • Oldest find: 1817 George 3 Shilling
If I can't handle it, I'll go & have a few beers, or a red wine....or both.... & go from there!

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

10%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Likes Given: 494

• Total Badges: 22
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 08:03 »
Thanks guys, also thought that if people happen to spot these in their travels, grab a couple for the first aid kit as they'd make great tourniquets for snake bite if required.  Firm yet stretchy combined with the Velcro will hold very well and provide much better pressure than a regular soft bandage.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything