* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Neat Gridding Technique  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Emu

• Gold

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
  • Likes Given: 120

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Neat Gridding Technique
« on: September 26, 2014, 20:19 »
I cruised by a nice level park today that I had detected over a couple of weeks ago to see if I had missed anything and was surprised to see another detectorist there.

He was a good operator and was carefully gridding an area about 50 yards square. He had a novel way of marking his grid pattern. He was using golf balls and walking to a pathway edge was dropping a golf ball on the ground about every five yards at the end of his swing. When he had dropped ten balls he would turn around and come back in the opposite direction, keeping his swing in line with the golf balls. Each time he reached a golf ball he simply moved it to the other extent of his swing (moving the ball across with his coil), thereby making a new grid line. End of line reached, he would the change direction and follow the new golf ball line, moving them to the outside of his swing again.

Hope that makes sense. I thought it was an easy way to mark your grid pattern and involved no bending down to do it.

By the way, he wasn't finding much. I must have done a good job on the place a couple of weeks earlier!
:)

Offline Sambo

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Brisbane, Queensland
  • Likes Given: 1536

• Total Badges: 40
    Seventh year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary
Re: Neat Gridding Technique
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 08:53 »
I employ a similar technique, bit use coloured milk bottle tops in lieu of golfballs.

Sambo
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Teknetics Omega, Minelab Explorer II
  • Oldest find: 1826 King George IV Penny ; 1843 QV Four Pence (Groat)

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

36.67%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Likes Given: 1596

• Total Badges: 20
    Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 09:20 »
In sand I drag an item to leave a trail...
But I like the idea of bottle tops.  
Simple, cheep, easy to obtain and not a major problem if you loose one.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

Offline aussiedigger

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: a time. When in every rightly constructed boys life. Where he has a raging urge to go somewhere and dig for hidden Treasure.
    • Youtube's channel
  • Likes Given: 946

• Total Badges: 27
    2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 14:23 »
I cruised by a nice level park today that I had detected over a couple of weeks ago to see if I had missed anything and was surprised to see another detectorist there.

He was a good operator and was carefully gridding an area about 50 yards square. He had a novel way of marking his grid pattern. He was using golf balls and walking to a pathway edge was dropping a golf ball on the ground about every five yards at the end of his swing. When he had dropped ten balls he would turn around and come back in the opposite direction, keeping his swing in line with the golf balls. Each time he reached a golf ball he simply moved it to the other extent of his swing (moving the ball across with his coil), thereby making a new grid line. End of line reached, he would the change direction and follow the new golf ball line, moving them to the outside of his swing again.

Hope that makes sense. I thought it was an easy way to mark your grid pattern and involved no bending down to do it.

By the way, he wasn't finding much. I must have done a good job on the place a couple of weeks earlier!
:)

Mate been doing it like that for years ;) :-X

ad...
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPZ 7000 / SDC 2300 CTX 3030 / Excalibur 11 with Remote Pinpoint modifications on handle and able to swap headphone capability Using Skullies and Garrett Amphibians All thanks to Joe (Oldbeechnut) /
  • Oldest find: 1817 George III Sixpence (Bulls Head) / Gold nuggets
** WELL IT'S BECAUSE WE ARE *PIRATES* YOU SEE,AND *PIRATES*ARE NOT PART OF THE LOST AND FOUND DEPT**

Offline Bundy

• Silver

0%
    • I live in: West of Roma Qld.
  • Likes Given: 1

• Total Badges: 18
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 22:59 »
Thanks for a great tip, I have been wondering how to grid in a grassed area like parks
Bundy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Bounty Hunter IV / Garrett Pro-Pointer, CTX 3030, Minelab Pro-find
  • Oldest find: 1843 Four Pence

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam