* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Iron masking in all its glory  (Read 1156 times)

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Likes Given: 494

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Iron masking in all its glory
« on: October 21, 2014, 22:52 »
Hi all,
I was checking out some vids about comparisons with various coils and I spotted this one in particular that highlights how the direction of your swing on a target can mean the difference between cleaning up or not.  This is more important when deciding to grid an area and the need to go over it again in the alternate direction (eg if you usually grid left to right or right to left, you should go over the same area again going forward and back to make sure you have covered the area as best as practical.  Also if you get a partial dodgy signal, step into it from a different side and you make just be surprised to find a regular repeatable signal tone.
The vid goes for several minutes, but the part in particular I want to make reference to begins around 3:50 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAcdQfEWN3M

« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:16 by Clegy »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

Offline kg1

• Platinum

56.67%
    • I live in: Melb Vic
  • Likes Given: 1053

• Total Badges: 20
    1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Iron masking in all its glory
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 20:56 »
First up, I must admit that I haven't watched the video...I just don't have the patience to watch them.
But....my modus operadani is to work out from the beach offshore to where the targets drop off and then to work back in till I run out of water and even if I say so myself, I am thorough!
Yet the spot where I've been the last few hunts I've had to, (for various reasons) to rework parallel to the beach and frankly, I was stunned by the amount of targets that I had missed.
One really needs to cover ground not just in and out but from left to right.  

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Likes Given: 494

• Total Badges: 22
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 21:21 »
The vid at the timeline I mentioned shows the guy testing the coil with a  ferrous and non ferrous item next to each other at close proximity, in one direction it picks up the desired target but at 90 degrees it is nulled out.
It goes with the shape of the coil windings in the case of a DD where if you approach from one angle where both targets are likely to fall within the middle blade of the coil at the same time then any discrimination will null it out.  Coming from an angle where the desired target is picked up first will generally give you at least a partial tone (if not full) in one direction of the swing but may null on the back swing if the nulled target is picked up first......so effectively I guess in that situation, of the four side you can swing into a target only one will give a tone (which is where a double swing (forward and back) before advancing can pay dividends while line searching.
I have no doubt from your finds that you are thorough with your searching (as thorough as you can be while holding your breath and even then you would probably put scuba searchers to shame) but it does make you second guess some of your older 'worked out' areas.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

Offline kg1

• Platinum

56.67%
    • I live in: Melb Vic
  • Likes Given: 1053

• Total Badges: 20
    1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 21:01 »
I've just remembered that I'd responded to this thread....need to give the grog a miss for a bit!
But you have raised some interesting points.
Tomorrow, when I am dryer than I am at the moment I will check out that vid....always keen to learn!  

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam