* Share it Around

Author Topic:  What to use to attach the coil cover that stops stuff getting inbetween  (Read 1805 times)

Offline Bower bird

• Gold

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Townsville, QLD
  • Likes Given: 5

• Total Badges: 19
    Badges: (View All)
    500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Hey all, searched around in the tip and tricks section and a general forum search didn't yield much.
I was just wondering what to use to attach a coil cover that will also stop grit, sand etc from getting inbetween the cover and the coil, could I use just normal clear silicone?
And yes I found Ivan's thread on the rubber spray stuff, I'd only be interested in that once the cover is broken, for now it does the job and has for ages.  I've also heard about the coil tape.
The whole time I've been using my Sovereign I've had the cover attached with some strong blue tack, it has held fast the whole time but that doesn't stop it from filling up with sand, water etc between the cover and the coil, so I am looking at connecting the cover in a way that does.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Began with a Goldsnoop, Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II, Garrett A2B Groundhog. Tried a Excal, now using XS2-pro Sovereign and a XT1700
  • Oldest find: A english military button from about 1885
If it's shiny or moves I'll notice it even if it's a well camouflaged critter.

Offline scratchinaround

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: a land of confusion.
  • Likes Given: 228

• Total Badges: 24
    1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
   hi  BB.  I  don't  worry  about a coil cover on the beach. sand  isn't  going  to scratch or  damage the coil really,only  near  rocks.  water  is not a problem  then, either. for  a round  solid  coil type cover, a tight  seal-  using  electrical tape etc,  around  the outer edge of the coil, may  keep everything out in the first place.  
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used bh discovery 33oo, ace350,m/l 305. now tesoro compadre
  • Oldest find: 1923 sa football members badge,1902/5/6dog reg tags.1910 bottle,66 round 50 cent.1912 farthing.1927h/penny1857/81penny
HOT  DIGGERTY DIG

Offline FSH00

• Platinum
  • Work to live don't live to work

10%
    • I live in: QLD
  • Likes Given: 1566

• Total Badges: 41
    Sixth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring The TON Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts
I use sikaflex on my covers works well,ain't had the cover off for 2 years & still going strong, get the same colour & take your time,use a nice bead like a weld last thing you want is too thin & water gets in then having to do it again ??? 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: To many is never enough
  • Oldest find: Vicky (bun) penny 18??
Tally: To old to keep count now

Offline daviddi

• Bronze
  • I like metal detecting

16.67%
    • I live in: Perth, Western Australia.
  • Likes Given: 134

• Total Badges: 24
    Eighth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
You can use clear silicone or Polyurethane,  but use it sparingly. Less is best for a many reason that includes weight and ease of removal of it, when you ever chose to remove the coil cover.
I've used silicone in the past, but I prefer a product from Bunnings Hardware called LeakSeal. Not sure if it's the same one referred to by Ivan and you don't need to wait for the cover to break.
It works quite well but only if the joins are not large gaps or open holes. The gap of coil cover to coil gets sealed usually on the first spray , but personally, I prefer and use two or three coats.  
I cant find the reference to it on the Bunnings Hardware website, but this is the product:

http://www.rustoleum.com.au/index.php_1/products/item/leak-seal.asp

Cost me about $16 here in Perth and comes in clear or black over here in some stores and only black in others.
Hope it helps you out.

Oh....it also stops rust..........
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 11:28 by daviddi »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Mostly use Minelab CTX-3030 but still have and occasionally use the following Minelab E-Trac,Explorer SE, Explorer 11, Explorer XS, Eric Foster P.I Goldscan 5c, Eric Foster P.I Deepstar v.3,Xp Deus, Whites DFX, Garrett Deep Seeker, Fisher Gold Bug Pro.
  • Oldest find: Domitian (81-96 AD), denarius found near Perth, Western Australia.

Offline Kaffine

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Kallaroo
  • Likes Given: 2

• Total Badges: 12
    Second year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
Hi guys

I'm only new to detecting and I haven't tried it myself as I'm still waiting for my new at pro to be delivered but I use a product called liquid Electrical tape on my rc electronics, it's liquid, flexible and will peal off with a lil bit of effort. Takes about 12 hours to cure. Available at jay car.
Hope this helps
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro

Offline Shane-o88

• Platinum

46.67%
  • Likes Given: 709

• Total Badges: 42
    Third year Anniversary Nugget over an Ounce Coin Of the Month Winner Cricket Buckle Runner Up Gold Ring Shootout Find of the Month Winner Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Sixpence Rising Sun Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring
I just use cotton tape around my coil cover so I stop breaking them. Doesn't look real flash but saves me about $30 every 3 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab sd2100 (used). I own minelab GT16000, GPX5000, garrett ATX, garrett AT pro, lesche digging tool, garrett pin pointer.
  • Oldest find: Gold, 1906 dog tag, 1866 English penny, 1733 farthing
Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold....

2015 gold rings : 22
2016 gold rings : 15
2017 gold total between my mate and myself : over 2000 nuggets, approx 50 species for a total of Approx 20 oz over 9 weeks prospecting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything