* Share it Around

Author Topic:   Makro Pointer  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Tommy Cash

• Platinum
  • Next stop $20,000

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: Hamilton Hill W.A
  • Likes Given: 131

• Total Badges: 33
    Badges: (View All)
    Seventh year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
Makro Pointer
« on: December 22, 2014, 01:28 »
Well after my Garrett propointer failed I decided I needed a new pinpointer and after some research I decided on the makro pinpointer, so I ordered one of these on Amazon with global shipping from Turkey. I am a bit nervous purchasing over the net and chew my fingers until the item comes, but I didn't want to pay $175.00 plus postage from a dealer in Australia when someone walks in to a detecting store in America and can buy the same Item for $125.00 U.S. Lets get that straight, I'm assuming they get the item wholesale at the same price the guys in America get it for, if that's the case that is quite a mark-up. Bring on the days when we can purchase directly from the manufactures, if everyone did that they would earn more and their budget for research and development would increase. Anyway I can't wait for my waterproof pinpointer and will let you guys know what I think of it when it arrives.  
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 00:36 by Tommy Cash »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Detector- Minelab Sovereign Elite, 15" WOT - awaiting the ressurection. Minelab Excal 1000 -blue headphone beauty, Anderson travel shaft, 1600mh Battery. XP DEUS. Makro pinpointer. Digging Tools- Lesche. Mirage diving knife. Beach Scoop - Stavr
  • Oldest find: 1838 Sixpence
Metal detecting - God's way of redistributing wealth.

Offline Tommy Cash

• Platinum
  • Next stop $20,000

0%

Seventh year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
Re: Makro Pointer
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 00:13 »
Oh by the way price at time of purchase was $161.00 Aus shipping included. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Detector- Minelab Sovereign Elite, 15" WOT - awaiting the ressurection. Minelab Excal 1000 -blue headphone beauty, Anderson travel shaft, 1600mh Battery. XP DEUS. Makro pinpointer. Digging Tools- Lesche. Mirage diving knife. Beach Scoop - Stavr

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Ferntree Gully,Victoria.
  • Likes Given: 224

• Total Badges: 31
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 21:32 »
Would it be worth getting a quote to repair the Garrett TC, make a good back up if you did, anyhow good luck with the new one....cheers Colin.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Groundhog,SD2000,XTERRA 705,Garrett Seahunter, Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Mojave
  • Oldest find: Sixpence 1835
sent from my OL keyboard using 2 fingers

Offline rumchaser

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Caboolture
  • Likes Given: 4

• Total Badges: 18
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 07:37 »
I'll be waiting to read your review see what they're like as I'd like a backup to my propointer and the garret is now to expensive 
Shame our dollar has dropped or they would be a bargain .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: x-terra 705, Whites coinmaster,Garret propointer, AT Pro
  • Oldest find: 1967 1 cent

Offline Tommy Cash

• Platinum
  • Next stop $20,000

0%

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 02:06 »
Pointer arrived - review to follow shortly.

Offline Tommy Cash

• Platinum
  • Next stop $20,000

0%

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 01:58 »
Ok lets talk about the Makro pointer. From the outset I just want to say I have no dealings with Makro or Nokta and no-one has asked me to write this review. Also the purpose of this review is not to advertise but to educate. I assume that if you are reading this you are interested in how this pointer performs.

Also I don't care where a product is made, or even which company makes it. In my opinion the more manufacturers we have creating products for this hobby the better. And if a better mouse trap is made in Turkey - well then I will be in the market for a Turkish mousetrap. However saying that I expect companies to behave honestly and not make false or misleading claims or act in any kind of devious fashion. If your product is good - people will find out, and if your product is bad - same result.

So here we go. First thing you notice about the Makro Pointer is the pouch it comes in. Seriously I had heard it was a nice pouch but wasn't prepared for the quality of the item. It comes with a strap that you can attach to it as well - though I can't see myself taking it out in the field as I wouldn't want to get mud on it. Also there is no chance this pointer could be hurt in transit either as it is enclosed in foam and is itself a sturdy piece of kit.

So what's in the pouch? Two hard cases - one with a scraping blade. These clip onto the end of the pointer and act similarly to a coil cover on your metal detector. The fact that Makro has decided to include these with the item and not as a separate purchase should be commended and I hope all other manufacturers follow suit. Also in the pouch is a finds bag - that is what the hard cases come in. Also an alkaline 9v battery an instruction manual, a two year warranty (Decent) and a belt holster.

Now lets talk about that belt holster and it's here that I will say my first negative thing about the kit. It has a metal clip to hold onto your belt instead of a metal loop. I imagine it wouldn't take much for it to come off, which is why I used the old holster from my Garrett pro-pointer to hold the Makro when I took it out for a test run. A shame really as it seemed to fit the pointer quite well
More to follow....      
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 02:32 by Tommy Cash »

Offline Tommy Cash

• Platinum
  • Next stop $20,000

0%

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 01:42 »
Now packaging and accessories are great and all but they don't mean a lot if the pointer is unstable, erratic or just plain annoying. So how does the Makro pointer perform? Quite well, but not perfect, and there is a design flaw that I will get to later.

I have noticed that when you switch the Makro on it takes a second to get going - not a deal breaker for me, more like a minor inconvenience. Also on its most sensitive settings 3 and 4 it will false if it is pointed upright. I don't know why it does this and I experimented a little raising the pointer extremely slowly and this seems to make the falsing go away sometimes.

Let's get one thing clear the Makro does not false pointing down or to the side, so unless you are hunting targets in the air this shouldn't be a problem, but it is worth mentioning as it's something I noticed.

It has more depth than the Garrett, but as I haven't tested them side by side I can't say how much. I would guess that it would be an inch or more on some coins  - there are videos on youtube if you want to watch side by side comparisons.

So what about its ability at the beach? After all it is a waterproof pinpointer. Well fine as long as you stick to sand and not water. In the dry you can run it on maximum, in the wet sand you need to detune it to make sure it doesn't false. But if you are thinking of using it in the ocean - forget about it. I haven't submerged it yet, but I have no doubt it will perform as it is meant to and not let water in. I have no doubt it would perform well in a freshwater river environment.  

Ok so what is its major design flaw? It beeps six times when you turn it off. Yes you heard that right six times! If you hunt parks like I do where you are turning this thing on and off all the time you can imagine the racket it makes. And here is the killer it still does this even if you select vibration mode only. So you are sneaking around in vibration mode, perhaps doing some night detecting, you recover the target turn your pointer off and it audibly beeps at you - and anyone in earshot, six times. Crazy!!! So if you are a super stealth hunter I recommend that you tape over the speaker hole on the back.

So there you have it guys. My new Makro pointer. Would I buy one again? Hell yeah! and through amazon, but the wait is a killer. At the end of the day Makro have made a great pointer, but the scary thing for other companies is with a few tweaks it could have been the best.
I haven't mentioned all it's features, or the frequency it runs, at or any of the technical stuff (you can find that info easily enough anyway) (also it might be handy if people posted some pics of the product up as I haven't had the time to do a photo shoot) but I have tried to give a fair and balanced view on this piece of detecting equipment and focus on the things that I think other dirt hunters will care about.

Thanks for reading

Tommy Cash    
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 00:18 by Tommy Cash »

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 682

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 06:47 »
I can understand the pointer making a noise when powering up but it seems strange why it would make a noise when shutting down unless it is a Low battery alert. That could be tested with a flat battery and see if it keeps making the 6 pulses. Nokta might tell us more. Does it have a led that is on when running. Does it switch off after a certain time being on?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline goldpick

• Gold

10%
    • I live in: South East, South Australia
  • Likes Given: 455

• Total Badges: 19
    Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 12:33 »
Nice review Thommy, the 6 beeps on shutdown is normal, but it occurs is pretty quick succession vs being drawn out.  The LED light can be manually turned on or off, another feature missed on most pinpointers.
Here's a pic for your review.

• Detector(s) owned/used: Use: XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites SPP, XP Mi-6, Garrett AT Propointer, Minelab Pro-find, Whites TRX, Deteknix X-Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1806/7 KG3 HP's, penny, shilling & threepence

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 682

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 14:05 »
Just another question,can you super tune it like the other brands? I imagine it will work the same way. It would be interesting to see how much extra distance it gives.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Tommy Cash

• Platinum
  • Next stop $20,000

0%

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 22:32 »
Rwork you don't need to supertune it as it has 4 different sensitivity settings, you just press the green button twice to increase and the red button twice to decrease. On settings 3 and 4 it easily outperforms the Garrett, but not the Whites TRX.

Thanks for the pic goldpick yes the beeps on shutdown are normal and fast but they are also unecessary - never needed the pro-pointer to beep when I switched it off. And the fact that it does this in vibration mode as well strikes me as an oversight.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 22:35 by Tommy Cash »

Offline Tommy Cash

• Platinum
  • Next stop $20,000

0%

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 23:27 »
Since I've had the Makro pointer for a few more days now I thought I would do a follow up. So how am I feeling about the Makro Pointer now? It has become an essential piece of my detecting equipment. I love its robustness, its scraping blade  and its depth. The only other slight drawback is that it doesn't make the continuous noise unless the coin is right against the tip - with the Garrett it would make that noise a bit before hand, this may not sound like a lot but it helps when determining where a target is located in the hole or plug. If this was addressed it would also make it easier to tell the size of the target before digging - with the Garrett I could tell with a lot of accuracy between aluminium bottle caps and coins by sweeping the pinpointer back and forth over the target area. You can still do the same with the Makro but you have to work harder to make accurate predictions.     

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam