* Share it Around

Author Topic:  New Garrett Pro-Pointer Falsing Already!  (Read 1718 times)

Offline firefly

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
  • Likes Given: 4

• Total Badges: 12
    Badges: (View All)
    Third year Anniversary 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
New Garrett Pro-Pointer Falsing Already!
« on: March 25, 2015, 16:44 »
My second new Garrett pro-pointer is only 14 days old and has already started to false frequently. Why don't Garrett fix these technical problems? I see several of the fixes are well documented on the net. It's a shame they are not built to a higher quality containing these revisions. With all the new competition out there I guess they will have to soon.
In the meantime they are about to lose a loyal customer as I won't be buying another Garrett as the quality indicator of the current one is at the 'poor' level. 
Cheers,
Firefly

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

33.33%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Likes Given: 1594

• Total Badges: 20
    Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: New Garrett Pro-Pointer Falsing Already!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 17:15 »
My second new Garrett pro-pointer is only 14 days old and has already started to false frequently. Why don't Garrett fix these technical problems? I see several of the fixes are well documented on the net. It's a shame they are not built to a higher quality containing these revisions. With all the new competition out there I guess they will have to soon. In the meantime they are about to lose a loyal customer as I won't be buying another Garrett as the quality indicator of the current one is at the 'poor' level. Cheers, Firefly

I have seen about 25% due to wiring and about 75% due to the poor earth contact on the coil - Problem is the coil is potted in epoxy and almost impossible to get to teh earthing point.  

It is the foil plate and the silver glue that fails.  And any movement causes a false signal.

Send it back under warranty....

As to why the do not fix = New model coming out and when they do a batch they do in the thousands...  So they just keep sending them out and if 20% come back... Does not matter - you get a new one.  It may or may not work...  Send it back.   I have known some to have had 3 in a row before they got one that was stable.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 17:19 by AngerManagement »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold

33.33%

Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 16:40 »
Chris - I think this is yours :-)

This is the before fix Video..

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJy-fnFjqlo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJy-fnFjqlo</a>

Offline Neo81xxx

• Copper

0%
  • Likes Given: 2

• Total Badges: 16
    Fifth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 23:20 »
I got my pro pointer from USA, I had no opportunity to return it after it started falsing, so I pulled it apart after watching some youtube vids.  

My simple fix was to put some electrical tape covering the board and it has seemed to fix the falsing issue. 

Hope this helps others with the issue.  The hardest part was getting the board back inside the pointer.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro / Pro Pointer / AT Pro Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1912 Half Penny

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

63.33%
    • I live in: Tropical North Qld. Australia
  • Likes Given: 96

• Total Badges: 24
    Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2015, 11:03 »
An observation, some people use a Pro-Pointer while having rings on their hands and sometimes it need to be ground balanced to the ground at which it is to be used.......just like other detectors.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whats suitable for me to do the job!

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold

33.33%

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 11:16 »
I understand that even the AT has issues in saltwater as to falsing and that lower sensitivity and lots of GB to be done...

Also the insulation does not work for all and if you return to Garrett = You get a new Pointer as they are classed as Disposable.

Any faulty = Replace with new...  All great until after warranty.

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam