* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Jonnie probe  (Read 2229 times)

Offline flcooper1

• Silver

• Fill this by Posting :)
    23.33%
    • I live in: Forrestfield, Western Australia
  • Likes Given: 374

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
Jonnie probe
« on: July 15, 2015, 02:44 »
Has anyone tried to build the DIY pin-pointer probes from the UK.
http://www.easytreasure.co.uk/probe.htm
As a new Relic/Coin hunter I have come to appreciate the need for a pin-pointer, and I do realize it is another complete detector.
So I am looking at all comers, this seems a cost effective entry level unit. If your not too ham fisted (me) with a soldering iron.
Will be looking around the site for good ideas and inspiration (GoodBeard`s X Terra TID chart lives on my XT 705 now). 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD 2100, GPX 4000, X-Terra 705, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Deteknix Diver, Garrett Sea Hunter Mk2, XP Deus, Garrett ATX
  • Oldest find: 1917 C.O.A. half penny

Offline SteelPat

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Ocean Grove, Victoria
    • Central Appliance Service
  • Likes Given: 32

• Total Badges: 19
    Fifth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Jonnie probe
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 08:01 »
I have made a couple of different pinpointer designs (not the one you have listed though) and all seem to work fine. They are all pretty much a very simple BFO design that changes the resonant frequency as any metallic object gets near the coil/ferrite. The only real issue I had (and the reason I ended up buying one) is getting a suitable case. It needed to be weatherproof and slimline. Most designs I have seen around use similar enclosures to what is on that site and they are just a little too bulky for my liking.

I will have a look through my files and see if I can find a few others for you.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPZ 7000, GPX4500, Eureka Gold, ProFind 25, numerous experimental designs

Offline flcooper1

• Silver

23.33%

Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015, 11:47 »
Thanks SP, I look forward to seeing your list. I have re-modelled my back-yard with the selected tools ...
X-Terra 705, Digging tool (Bunnings), sieve and Gold Pan (to keep the sand for returning to the correct hole).
Gone from 8 inch hole to a Coke can size plug. If I can find my treasure without shredding the plug I will feel better about exploring the parks and reserves of Perth.

P.S. house was built in the late 70`s.
Have so-far got 1 Lesney toy car, 1 Brass Dog tag, 13x1 cents, 4x2 cents, 2x5 cents, 3x10 cents and 2x20 cent coins.
Also many Ring pulls and pop-tops.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 12:06 by flcooper1 »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD 2100, GPX 4000, X-Terra 705, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Deteknix Diver, Garrett Sea Hunter Mk2, XP Deus, Garrett ATX

Offline SteelPat

• Copper

0%

Fifth year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015, 12:41 »
I have attached a couple of files but most are too big for me to upload. There are also some that use pic chips but these require programming the ic.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPZ 7000, GPX4500, Eureka Gold, ProFind 25, numerous experimental designs

Offline flcooper1

• Silver

23.33%

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 12:47 »
Thank you SP, The Net is huge and I can find all sorts of helpful items but experienced guidance is much appreciated.

Offline SteelPat

• Copper

0%

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2015, 13:48 »
Most of the circuits are pretty simple and can be built on breadboard/veroboard. Cost of parts would be less than $10. Just take your time and double check everything. When I am working on a new circuit and have built it on veroboard, I print out a copy of the circuit then trace every connection on circuit board and use a highlighter and mark them off on the circuit. That way I make sure I havent missed one connection.

Offline flcooper1

• Silver

23.33%

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 12:32 »
OK got the parts for the Mk 1. Went to Jaycar in Midland and got the Switches, Ferrite rod, Speaker, Battery holder and box.
Went to Bunnings for Probe shaft, fittings and Plumbers glue.
Decided to make the probe shaft 7 & 1/2 inches long, and filled it with Epoxy glue. Left the face of the Ferrite rod exposed to increase sensitivity.
Drilled 5 holes in the body. Used Forstner bits after the drill grabbed the box out of my hand the 1st time. Did a dogs breakfast job of soldering. Added a thin stiff rectangle of plastic over the speaker opening. (The thinner the better for volume)
The video is very true to life as regards distances and sensitivity as well as sounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fLScE9C2xk
I am not a Tech Wizard and wouldn't dare try to build from the board up, but I will keep an eye out for more DIY projects here and elsewhere.
Thankyou SP for your input, you know the tech as I don't. Have enjoyed some of your other posts a lot.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 12:42 by flcooper1 »

Offline junker

• Platinum
  • You are not lost , if you dont care where you are

0%
    • I live in: Avoca Victoria
  • Likes Given: 3308

• Total Badges: 26
    1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 18:12 »
I must have a filthy mind :) , when I saw " jonnie probe " it got my curiosity , in the past Condoms were called Jonnies ::) , good job you have done there .
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ExTerra 705 , GPX 5000
  • Oldest find: 1800's wax seal stamp, 1826 shilling , 1861 H/P.

Offline SteelPat

• Copper

0%

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 19:18 »
Congrats on the successful build. It looks good. You will have to post a vid of it in action in the field. 

Offline flcooper1

• Silver

23.33%

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2015, 13:06 »
No vids, but I have used it a bit. Mostly in wet sand and clay. YouTube video was an air test and I did say it was accurate. In the dirt you can halve the distances (wet). It`s useful but I can see why Garrett, Minelab and others have such followings, also why they get so upset when they fail (usually when most needed) or lost. Was fun to build and I shall try my limited skills on other projects. @SteelPat  would a different winding on the Ferrite rod change the sensitivity of the unit, or longer rod for that matter.

Offline SteelPat

• Copper

0%

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2015, 15:52 »
I havent seen the circuit of the one you are building but you could experiment with adding more/less windings, changing core size/diameter/material (ferrite comes in different grades). It shouldnt hurt the circuit and its fun to see how the changes affect the performance.

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam