* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Garrett AT Pro Review. 2 Years Plus  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Emu

• Gold

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
  • Likes Given: 120

• Total Badges: 22
    Badges: (View All)
    500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Garrett AT Pro Review. 2 Years Plus
« on: October 13, 2015, 21:36 »

Garrett AT Pro Review. 2 Years Plus.

I’ve never written a review for a metal detector before but as I’ve owned my AT Pro for over two years I thought it might be a good time to do it.

To put the review into context I hunt almost every day, often for long hours at a time, so I can speak with some experience. I don’t have any other detectors, and the only other detector I’ve ever used was a Whites 6000D so I’m not qualified to offer any comparisons with other brands. The only purpose of this review is to provide my opinions of the machine which may be of some benefit to detectorists considering buying an AT Pro.

Out Of The Box.

The detector arrived well packaged and came complete with a well written manual and instructional guide, plus instructional DVD.

Assembly is straightforward. Everything fits together snugly. The only tricky bit is seating the coil lead and headphone lead into their respective sockets in the control box. They are just plain bloody awkward and great care must be taken to seat the connecting pins into their sockets. If you’re ham fisted and don’t have them seated exactly right you run a very real risk of damaging them. You also must ensure that the leads are well seated into their respective sockets and the knurled connector fittings are fully secured.  After owning the detector now for over two years I still find that changing coils or headphones to be a fiddly job.

Build Quality.

After two years plus of almost daily use nothing has broken except for the original set of headphones supplied with the detector. They lasted six months and fell apart (bearing in mind that my six months of use may be the same as six years for other users).

The sound quality of the original Garrett headphones was adequate without being outstanding. There are many after market headphones available with better build and audio qualities available. I have switched to Grey Ghost Amphibians which are submersible and fully waterproof.

In The Field.

The machine is light and well balanced but it is important to adjust the length of the stem so that you can easily use the detector without stooping (gives you back ache and/or wrist and forearm strain). Usually adjusting the stem length on the shorter side will give you a much better ergonomic stance and comfort.

The display screen can be difficult to see in bright sunlight and if you wear polarised sunglasses the screen will sometimes also be difficult to see. Also, the screen has no backlight illumination so in low light or darkness you won’t see it either.

Ground balancing is straightforward and in more difficult conditions (i.e wet saltwater sand ) it’s also easy to manually adjust the ground balance.

Pinpointing is also straightforward. Some folks like to centre the target immediately beneath the coil lugs or others (myself included) prefer to pinpoint just off the tip of the coil. It’s an individual thing and entirely up to the user.

Battery life is excellent. I can’t tell you exactly how long your batteries will last but it’s just not an issue.

Conclusions.

Initially the AT Pro may be a frustrating detector to come to terms with. It’s ability to quickly respond to many signals at once may frustrate new users with the constant barrage of sounds, particularly in trashy ground but if you apply yourself to what the detector is doing the frustration decreases and the fun begins.

Summary.

This review is simply my view of the detector and not an article on how to use it. The best teacher is time in the field, experience and common sense.

Is it a better machine than detector X, Y or Z? I don’t know. I only know that it works for me and does what I want it too.

It is a no fuss machine that is reasonably well built, has had no operational issues, is waterproof (within the manufacturers’ specifications) and is usually available at a reasonable price.

Thank You.

Emu.

• Detector(s) owned/used: Coinmaster 6000/D. Garrett AT Pro. Garrett Pro Pointer, Whites TRX pinpointer.
  • Oldest find: George 111 1806 Hibernia Farthing

Offline Findem

• Gold

10%
    • I live in: Lithgow NSW
    • Youtube's channel
  • Likes Given: 129

• Total Badges: 33
    Eighth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
Re: Garrett AT Pro Review. 2 Years Plus
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 08:45 »
Thanks, Emu. I've had my AT Pro for 4 months and I guess the most annoying feature is the connection for the headphones. I simply leave the headphones connected all the time - which makes it impossible to share the signal with my wife.

Offline Shane-o88

• Platinum

40%
  • Likes Given: 707

• Total Badges: 42
    Third year Anniversary Nugget over an Ounce Coin Of the Month Winner Cricket Buckle Runner Up Gold Ring Shootout Find of the Month Winner Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Sixpence Rising Sun Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 09:06 »
Great review emu. I have had mine for 14-15months and the only things I don't like about it is no backlight on the screen and no volume on the machine itself so you have to use headphones because I find it too loud and draws too much attention.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab sd2100 (used). I own minelab GT16000, GPX5000, garrett ATX, garrett AT pro, lesche digging tool, garrett pin pointer.
  • Oldest find: Gold, 1906 dog tag, 1866 English penny, 1733 farthing
Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold....

2015 gold rings : 22
2016 gold rings : 15
2017 gold total between my mate and myself : over 2000 nuggets, approx 50 species for a total of Approx 20 oz over 9 weeks prospecting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM

Offline goldpick

• Gold

16.67%
    • I live in: South East, South Australia
  • Likes Given: 454

• Total Badges: 19
    Fourth year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 18:56 »
Thanks, Emu. I've had my AT Pro for 4 months and I guess the most annoying feature is the connection for the headphones. I simply leave the headphones connected all the time - which makes it impossible to share the signal with my wife.

Get the headphone adapter from Garrett, and you can use some half decent headphones on the Pro, plus regularly disconnect them without fear of bending the plug pins.  My infinium uses the same headphone plug, and the pins once bent, will not straighten without snapping off completely. :)

http://www.garrettaustralia.com.au/garrett-1-4-headphone-adapter/
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Use: XP Deus, Makro Racer 2, Fisher F75, Teknetics G2, Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Infinium LS, Whites SPP, XP Mi-6, Garrett AT Propointer, Minelab Pro-find, Whites TRX, Deteknix X-Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1806/7 KG3 HP's, penny, shilling & threepence

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything