* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Amplifying the Garrett sea hunter mk2.  (Read 878 times)

Offline philbo

• Bronze

• Fill this by Posting :)
    10%
    • I live in: Dapto NSW
  • Likes Given: 12

• Total Badges: 18
    Badges: (View All)
    Second year Anniversary The TON The Gold Ring Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Returned an Item Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
Amplifying the Garrett sea hunter mk2.
« on: June 19, 2016, 14:55 »
As there is no marketed signal booster or amplifier for the sea hunter and I have had no input or suggestions on the matter I am currently working on waterproofing a headphone amplifier which I got off eBay for  $45 it does increase the volume by about 25% and I have ordered a small waterproof container for diving to 10 meters which is big enough to fit two amplifiers if I need more volume . I have got some waterproof glands for the cable penetrations and a connection for the headphones socket on the sea hunter mk2 unit. I will keep this post updated with the progress of the project for those that may be searching for this solution. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett groundhog, whites coinmaster, garrett gti -1500,garrett AT pro,garrett sea hunter mk2.
  • Oldest find: RELIC: 1884 silver hair clip COIN: 1874 threepence.

Offline Electriken

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Barwon Heads Victoria
  • Likes Given: 78

• Total Badges: 10
    One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
Re: Amplifying the Garrett sea hunter mk2.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 15:04 »
Hello Philbo, 
                     Have been looking for a case to place my Minelab CTX3030 headphone wireless module WM-10 into so that I can go into the water and still have the wireless module working . I found the case called Safe Sound by GME that is rugged and well made and waterproof and has a 3watt external waterproof speaker and volume controls on the front it is rated at IPX7 and will work down to 3mtrs . There is enough room to fit the wireless module and all I have to do is drill and fit a waterproof cable gland to connect my Waterproof Headphone cable into it.
I purchased my unit from Dick Smith  for a discount price of $20 but you can get them on Ebay or at Radio Parts on line through their Melbourne store  for anything from $ 40 to $65
I will not be diving with it as the  WM-10 wireless module will not work underwater but will be good wading and working the shallows.
You can check them out on line at GME.net.au and check out these Youtube videos  
1. Eco Extreme by Grace Digital Audio Full test and Water Test.
2. Brody and Jake GME Safe and Sound  
I have some photos of my unit with the WM-10 inside and the cover closed, it might not be what you want but its worth a look?
Regards Electriken
Barwon heads Vic
  • Detector(s) owned/used: MineLab CTX3030, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites 6000 D

Offline philbo

• Bronze

10%

Second year Anniversary The TON The Gold Ring Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Returned an Item Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 18:00 »
Thanks for that electriken that looks like a good idea but I've already ordered a waterproof case for a nikon camera that is rated to 10 meters depth and cost me  $25 and as I need to have glands for the cable to the sea hunter and headphones and also for the volume controls to the amplifiers I'll need a good flat surface which this  case has. That GME case is very cool though funny how I didn't see it when I was searching for a case. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett groundhog, whites coinmaster, garrett gti -1500,garrett AT pro,garrett sea hunter mk2.

Offline philbo

• Bronze

10%

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 12:58 »
I ended up just using a waterproof junction box for the case and it will still fit two amplifiers inside. I have water tested it and no leaks. I had to remove the volume knob so it fits into the hose attached to the control glands and it switches on and off nice. I've only got one amplifier at the moment and the other one is in transit. I used stainless steel bolts through the case and fitted aluminum strap for the belt mount. 

Offline philbo

• Bronze

10%

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 13:00 »
I'll post further photos when I have it fully set up for use. 

Offline philbo

• Bronze

10%

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 13:11 »
All ready for use. 

Offline philbo

• Bronze

10%

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2016, 16:37 »
Ok as you know building these sorts of things there is a bit of trial and error involved and so over the weeks my amplifier design has changed. Due to minor water ingress that I couldn't completely stop the housing has now changed to a marine salt water strainer normally used in inboard boat engine cooling systems and modified slightly to take the amplifier. the screw tight clear bowl will not leak and the gland fittings are threaded into the inlet and outlet head also forming a much better seal. The amplifier had to be removed from its housing so that it would fit into the bowl. I am now fully satisfied with this configuration which doesn't leak and is easier to change batteries. I also madea new belt attachment to accommodate the amp . Alternate use of the standard belt mount pouch is also an option. 

Offline Electriken

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Barwon Heads Victoria
  • Likes Given: 78

• Total Badges: 10
    One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 20:36 »
Hello Philbo,
                     Looks like you finally nailed it bit unusual but who cares what it looks like as long as it works.

Regards Electriken
Barwon Heads Vic
  • Detector(s) owned/used: MineLab CTX3030, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites 6000 D

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything