* Share it Around

Author Topic:  DIY treasure pouch  (Read 908 times)

Offline paddlepop

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • I live in: caloundra west
  • Likes Given: 8

• Total Badges: 7
    Badges: (View All)
    10 Posts First Post
DIY treasure pouch
« on: August 15, 2016, 16:00 »
i did my first beach search this morning and found the usual crap and some gems as you'll see in the photo.  not quite enough to retire on though.  what did quickly become apparent was the unsuitabilty of using a front mounted bum bag for all the "treasure".  difficult to remember which compartment good and bad finds went into, fiddley to put stuff in even with thin gloves and no room for the kids toys.
so i've adapted an icecream tub on a proper belt to see how that goes.  it should solve all the mentioned problems apart from looking pretty weird.  might have to paint it black if it's a keeper - cheers,  pete
by the way, is it possible to get that 20c coin back up the spendable condition?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: x terra 705 dual pack

Offline Andy1918

• Silver
  • Luck = Opportunity + Preparedness + Effort

0%
    • I live in: Sydney NSW
    • Youtube Channel
  • Likes Given: 774

• Total Badges: 28
    500 Posts Sixpence Commonwealth Halfpenny Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence Roo Penny The Gold Ring Second year Anniversary Gold Ring Shootout Winner Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts 50 Posts
Re: DIY treasure pouch
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 18:27 »
I've used the little bum bags as well, and they are sort of OK, but I've already had two that have failed/broken.  I've used a cheap satchel, which also blew out pretty quickly.  I now use a proper satchel with a shoulder strap.  It is a sturdy beast, a fashion statement, and even cost a pretty penny. It is has lasted well, and I've used it almost weekly for about a year.  It still hasn't lost its zipper, tags and doesn't have any holes in it.  It is big enough to store all my accoutrements (screwdriver, pliers, digging tool, shovel, and pinpointer), and big enough to fill with junk and scrap.  On the beach I ditch all the digging tools and replace with a water bottle.  It has two main compartments, two tiny compartments (great for batteries) and another compartment with a zipper (really good for the coins and valuable stuff).  With that many compartments I'm sure it was designed for a detectorist (or maybe a female).

I never thought of using a ice cream bucket; might work really well and be a great alternative.  In detecting, we don't worry about what looks good, rather what works best (a beach goer recently referred to our sport as being nerdy).  And yes, I do get plenty of looks.

Paddlepop, I'm glad you're getting into the sport.  Enjoy!

PS.  For cleaning of the 20 cent coin, there are a variety of options to make the coin presentable (plenty on this forum).  I normally soak them in CLR for a while, then wash them off.  They then go into the coin jar and off to the bank.  If the bank's machine rejects the coin, then it must be no good, and I'll keep those aside and one day I'll take them to the bank and change them over the counter.  If you really want it nice and shiny, you can use a Dremel type tool with a wire brush.  If they are too worn, then nothing much will help.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 18:32 by Andy1918 »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab X-Terra 305, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab Pro Find-25
  • Oldest find: Queen Victoria 1881 Half Penny
2017 Goals
1966 50 cent piece: Hoping this year again!
Replenish my pre-decimal coin badges.

Offline flcooper1

• Silver

23.33%
    • I live in: Forrestfield, Western Australia
  • Likes Given: 377

• Total Badges: 22
    Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 18:53 »
Soaking in vinegar will turn it pink, a single coin just run a wire brush across it.
The coin machine at the bank doesn't care what it looks like.
Keep it up, you will see many more like it.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: SD 2100, GPX 4000, X-Terra 705, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Deteknix Diver, Garrett Sea Hunter Mk2, XP Deus, Garrett ATX
  • Oldest find: 1917 C.O.A. half penny

Offline lazyaussie

• Platinum

20%
    • I live in: Clunes Vic
  • Likes Given: 1131

• Total Badges: 32
    Eighth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 19:01 »
+1 on the rock tumbler, bought a Cheepie that's cleaned thousands in coin ;D , army bag for me too & it works well.   
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett AT pro, garrett ace 250, garrett pro pointer, garrett sea hunter, whites dual field,
  • Oldest find: 1797 cartwheel penny x 2
pirate monkeys do it in the sea

Offline Andy1918

• Silver
  • Luck = Opportunity + Preparedness + Effort

0%
    • I live in: Sydney NSW
    • Youtube Channel
  • Likes Given: 774

• Total Badges: 28
    500 Posts Sixpence Commonwealth Halfpenny Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence Roo Penny The Gold Ring Second year Anniversary Gold Ring Shootout Winner Find of the Month Winner 100 Posts 50 Posts
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 19:06 »
Sounds like the tumbler is the way to go.  Good advice.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab X-Terra 305, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab Pro Find-25
  • Oldest find: Queen Victoria 1881 Half Penny
2017 Goals
1966 50 cent piece: Hoping this year again!
Replenish my pre-decimal coin badges.

Offline Shane-o88

• Platinum

100%
  • Likes Given: 687

• Total Badges: 42
    Third year Anniversary Nugget over an Ounce Coin Of the Month Winner Cricket Buckle Runner Up Gold Ring Shootout Find of the Month Winner Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Sixpence Rising Sun Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 23:12 »
I reckon the coin will go through the bank counter. I soak mine in clr for a couple of days to get the mud and dirt off and they are still mostly black/ brown when I tip them in the coin machine. It's not worth my time to clean the coins too much. The bank can sort that out. That's their job and they get paid to do it. Or just hand them over the counter at shops when you buy stuff, you do get funny looks and some try reject it but it's still legal tender and as far as I'm aware they must accept it
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab sd2100 (used). I own minelab GT16000, GPX5000, garrett ATX, garrett AT pro, lesche digging tool, garrett pin pointer.
  • Oldest find: Gold, 1906 dog tag, 1866 English penny, 1733 farthing
Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold....

2015 gold rings : 22
2016 gold rings : 15
2017 gold total between my mate and myself : over 2000 nuggets, approx 50 species for a total of Approx 20 oz over 9 weeks prospecting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM

Offline paddlepop

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: caloundra west
  • Likes Given: 8

• Total Badges: 7
    10 Posts First Post
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 07:42 »
thanks for all the replies chaps they are very helpful and encouraging.  i like the idea of the icecream tub being in the front but i also have an over the shoulder spare ammo bag so i'll try that too
  • Detector(s) owned/used: x terra 705 dual pack

Offline shaun.curtis.180

• Copper

0%
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 17
    Coin Of the Month Winner Commonwealth Halfpenny Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 09:42 »
I use a toolbelt for my finds. My wife bought me this quite fancy one. 3 pockets, no messing around with zips, and nothing ever falls out of it. Replaced the hammer and chisel holders with my Pointer and Lesche holders. I'm very happy with it.

http://www.tradetime.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=34&zenid=872554c55f1a1191d3d9a7aa10792e1c

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

• Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro International, XP Deus
  • Oldest find: 1826 Penny

Offline Happy Jack

• Silver

0%
    • I live in: Far South Coast NSW
  • Likes Given: 432

• Total Badges: 19
    Second year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 11:54 »
I use a toolbelt for my finds. My wife bought me this quite fancy one. 3 pockets, no messing around with zips, and nothing ever falls out of it. Replaced the hammer and chisel holders with my Pointer and Lesche holders. I'm very happy with it.

http://www.tradetime.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=34&zenid=872554c55f1a1191d3d9a7aa10792e1c

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Now that have to be 10/10..I like that.

Jack
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Excalibur II; CTX3030; SDC2300
  • Oldest find: 1/2 ounce Gold Nugget whilst relic hunting
Happy Jack

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything