* Share it Around

Author Topic:  DRONES, Quadcopters, UAVs  (Read 2442 times)

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
    • Ramjet  Metal Detecting on Youtube
    • Youtube's channel
  • Likes Given: 529

• Total Badges: 23
    Badges: (View All)
    One year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
DRONES, Quadcopters, UAVs
« on: September 25, 2016, 19:34 »
I have recently bought myself one of these drones or whatever you like to call them. It seems to be one of those hobbies that is exploding in popularity. I think that we will all be ducking and weaving on Christmas day.  ;) Anyone else using a drone? Apologies if I have missed previous posts on the subject.
The technology is truly amazing in some of these machines. The one I have is a DJI Phantom 4 and is basically a flying camera. It is a high end hobby or lower end professional camera drone. The camera can shoot 4K video and for those who don't know it's a couple of steps above HD tv. Only the most modern smart TVs can show it. I have had a lot of fun with mine over the last few weeks. Beware though that they are considered small aircraft and are therefore subject to the rules set out by CASA. 
The one I have has 2 IMUs. One for flight control and one for the camera. It uses 2 satellite systems, GPS and Glassnos for navigation and can fly autonomously and stop at waypoints to take pics or video as setup by the user. It also has obstacle avoidance systems and will "return home" and land if signal is lost between the drone and the remote control unit. Truly a high tech bit of gear. 
A couple of pics I have taken. The first is Peats Island on the Hawksbury river. On this day I flew it right across the river and it was 1.2 kays away from me at the furthest point. The 2nd pic is Ivy Rock about 25 kys North of Dunedoo NSW. I did a little experiment with this one and erased a car and caravan the were passing on the road to the right of the rock.
Love to hear form others using drones.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus, Garrett At Pro, Ace 250. CTX 3030. Aldi for the grandkids and an old mid 70's wall hanger.
  • Oldest find: 1807 George III Halfpenny and 1806 or 07 Large penny. Oldest silver 1854 threepence.
Touch the frog.

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel

Re: DRONES, Quadcopters, UAVs
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 20:44 »
Hi Peter,
My P4 is around the $2000 price but worth every cent IMHO. Add a few accessories and it adds up quick. A spare battery is north of $200 but you need them as flight time is quoted as 28 minutes. Of course that is in optimal conditions, add a bit of wind and it cuts into your battery life. It is very stable even in strong wind and will just hover in place. The same company has a more expensive model that can be operated by 2 people. One to fly and the other to operate the camera.
I bought my youngest son a battery powered helicopter a few years back and he flew it with little problems but I found it really difficult. He is into the Gaming scene on Xbox and I think that really helped him master the chopper. We have an RC copter club in the area and I must say they are truly impressive to watch. 
There are many types of drone with racing being very popular. Mine is a flying camera but still has some pretty impressive ability, being able to do 75 kph in "sport" mode. A couple of things I have seen on youtube is the same model doing just over 100 kph with a tail wind and 2 guys who set up one over 12 miles away from away from the remote and starting it up and flying back towards the guy with the remote. Impressive.
They have different modes such as Follow me, auto orbit, way point, 360 panorama etc. The software is open source so there are a number of apps available. They used to mount a Go pro camera but now have one built in. Of course Go Pro has just released a drone themselves.
A very cool toy.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus, Garrett At Pro, Ace 250. CTX 3030. Aldi for the grandkids and an old mid 70's wall hanger.
  • Oldest find: 1807 George III Halfpenny and 1806 or 07 Large penny. Oldest silver 1854 threepence.
Touch the frog.

Offline Tasrog

• Platinum
  • SO MUCH GROUND....SO LITTLE TIME.

6.67%
    • I live in: Shearwater
  • Likes Given: 48

• Total Badges: 33
    Fifth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 21:34 »
I call them clay pigeons because if one ever buzzes over my place with its cameras I will try and take it out of the sky. Then there is the ones that are at the beach...... In case you haven't guessed I am not a fan.
Roger
  • Detector(s) owned/used: used a ML 4500:Own - BH Tracker IV: AT PRO International, BH 3300, Fisher F5, GoFind 60, Excalibur 2
  • Oldest find: 1806 King George III penny
The bucket list. Gothic Florin - found, Gold ring - found, Trench Art - not found, Sunrise badge - not found, Cricket buckle = not found, Sov or half Sov - not found.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 682

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 06:19 »
Detrackozi uses a drone. We have had a few pictures shown of the different Token Hunts from above. Is yours program limited to 400 ft?
I see the Americans delete a car occasionally with their drones, usually no caravan attached.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 08:04 »
I call them clay pigeons because if one ever buzzes over my place with its cameras I will try and take it out of the sky. Then there is the ones that are at the beach...... In case you haven't guessed I am not a fan.
Roger

Going by the Australia laws they should never be over your house or a busy beach. They must not be flown within 30 metres of a person, building, vehicle or flown over a "populous area such as a beach". Of course they will always be those in any hobby who ignore the laws and rules. I would be interested to see how the authorities would handle the situation if someone knocked one out of the sky. There have been a few shot down in the States.

Mine is limited to 120 metres (400ft)  altitude as that is the Australia height limit. All flights are recorded on my device and also back at the factory. I wonder if a court could get access to those records. Probably not as the factory is in China.
Touch the frog.

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 10:48 »
This is the first 360 panorama I have done with my P4. Nothing special as I am just learning. The app takes all the images automatically then you use software to stitch them together.

https://www.360cities.net/image/newcastle-from-adamstown
Touch the frog.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%

Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 11:08 »
Interesting images.Worked ok with XP and a standard mouse.

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 11:22 »
Interesting images.Worked ok with XP and a standard mouse.

On a phone you just turn the phone to look around.
Touch the frog.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 12:26 »
On my iPad i still had to touch the screen. It will work by tilting on some but not this one. Were the pictures taken early morning? I see a lot of cars but no people.

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 12:44 »
May Samsung Tab won't work with them. Just crashes but it's an older model. 
The pics were taken on a Saturday late morning. A soccer game started in the main field over the fence.  I flew it there because we were detecting the area and to maintain the CASA regulations you need a big park or sports field. Not to be closer than 30 metres to a building, vehicle or person.
Newcastle is not as busy as say Sydney or Melbourne. Australia's biggest country town.  :)
Touch the frog.

Offline Buttsy

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Fraser Coast
  • Likes Given: 12

• Total Badges: 24
    1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 19:20 »
A lot of complaints coming in.... A lot of people doing the wrong thing wreaking it. Wonder where it will end up?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab CTX3030, Minelab E-trac, Garrett Pro Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1844 shilling

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 19:58 »
I think courses and licensing has great merit but I don't think  joining an association is necessary. A licence from the regulator would be better. 
Touch the frog.

Offline Paul68

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: Melbourne
  • Likes Given: 9

• Total Badges: 27
    Seventh year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 12:31 »
That phantom 4 is an impressive drone Ramjet.

I am looking at getting something similar for surf fishing and using to take my bait out further.
There’s a few vids on youtube on drone fishing.

I’ve ordered a hubsan x4 drone for now from ebay… very cheap and won’t be worried if I crash it a few times learning to fly.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites TDI. Whites Dual Field. Minelab CTX3030. Teknetics G2
  • Oldest find: 184x Farthing

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2016, 12:39 »
Yes I have seen some of the drone fishing vids. One was at Fingal Bay, just up the road. The amount of drones on the market is exploding. I think we will all be ducking and weaving on Xmas day. It's a bit of a concern as I'm sure many parents will not be aware of the regulations.
Touch the frog.

Offline kg1

• Platinum

83.33%
    • I live in: Melb Vic
  • Likes Given: 1093

• Total Badges: 21
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2016, 19:15 »
Yes, the regulations.....

It was suggested to me recently that a drone might be of benefit to my beach/water detecting.

I was of the opinion that it probably wouldn't be but after reading of some of the regulations.....forget it!  
  • Detector(s) owned/used: xterra70

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2016, 19:31 »
KG you would be ok over the water. Just not over a "populous" beach or area.
Touch the frog.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2016, 21:08 »

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 21:24 »
https://www.facebook.com/Shipwreckhunter/posts/1490758314273011:0
Might be of interest to someone.

Very cool. Now how do I attach a metal detector to it?  ;D
Touch the frog.

Offline Buttsy

• Platinum

0%
    • I live in: Fraser Coast
  • Likes Given: 12

• Total Badges: 24
    1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2016, 20:01 »
A couple of them have been shot down in the States while filming kids. My mate has been told he needs a casa licence to fly his in Qld?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab CTX3030, Minelab E-trac, Garrett Pro Pointer
  • Oldest find: 1844 shilling

Offline jm94

• Bronze

0%
  • Likes Given: 120

• Total Badges: 20
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2016, 06:46 »
Love the photos your getting.
I've been looking at drones lately, but I'm looking more to the consumer rather than prosumer drones.

Is there anything that stands out in the $300-$600 bracket with camera?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Oldest find: 1947 Florin
That'll do, never does.

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2016, 09:13 »
Thank you everyone  for your interest and comments. I am afraid I cannot really help with rules for each state or which machine is best to buy. I am just a newby myself, having only bough my machine several weeks ago. All I can suggest is to do your research just as with buying a detector. There are forums, Facebook pages etc dedicated to Drones. 
Two new products have recently been released, the Karma from GoPro and the new DJI Mavic. Both can be folded up which makes them much more portable. 
Best of luck if you buy one. They can be a lot of fun. 
Touch the frog.

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2016, 09:48 »
Jm94. Have a look at DetectaDen in NSW on Facebook. Rachel has put up a video made with some of the range they sell.

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2016, 09:56 »
Jm94. Have a look at DetectaDen in NSW on Facebook. Rachel has put up a video made with some of the range they sell.

Thanks Rwork. I had forgotten they had started to stock drones.
Touch the frog.

Detrack

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2016, 17:36 »

Offline Ramjet

• Silver

0%
    • Youtube's channel

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2016, 17:40 »
Some really nice shots there Detackozi.  ;D
Touch the frog.

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything