* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Advice for a newbie with a gpx5000  (Read 739 times)

Offline Shane-o88

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    100%
  • Likes Given: 686

• Total Badges: 42
    Badges: (View All)
    Third year Anniversary Nugget over an Ounce Coin Of the Month Winner Cricket Buckle Runner Up Gold Ring Shootout Find of the Month Winner Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Sixpence Rising Sun Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring
Advice for a newbie with a gpx5000
« on: October 15, 2016, 20:16 »
G'day guys, most of you know I am not new to detecting but I am new to the gpx5000. I have been keeping an eye on the prices and working weekends waiting to get enough to buy one of these. 5 hour round trip to pick it up and 1 hour round trip to test it out in the bush. I literally know nothing about coils, settings ect so any general advice or info would be greatly appreciated. It was less than $4500 and came with two batteries so I figured it was a gold deal. I'm used to the ATX so this is pretty different. What do you blokes reckon would be the best coil to run around over the patch I found with the ATX?

• Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab sd2100 (used). I own minelab GT16000, GPX5000, garrett ATX, garrett AT pro, lesche digging tool, garrett pin pointer.
  • Oldest find: Gold, 1906 dog tag, 1866 English penny, 1733 farthing
Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold....

2015 gold rings : 22
2016 gold rings : 15
2017 gold total between my mate and myself : over 2000 nuggets, approx 50 species for a total of Approx 20 oz over 9 weeks prospecting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM

Offline jm94

• Bronze

0%
  • Likes Given: 120

• Total Badges: 20
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: Advice for a newbie with a gpx5000
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 20:39 »
What do you blokes reckon would be the best coil to run around over the patch I found with the ATX?

I reckon I'd give them all a go, best way to learn your new machine.
Be good to have the ATX there as well when you're testing, see how both machines react to the same target?
  • Oldest find: 1947 Florin
That'll do, never does.

Offline bicter

• Bronze

30%
    • I live in: Mutdapilly, QLD, 4307
  • Likes Given: 42

• Total Badges: 29
    Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts Commonwealth Halfpenny The Gold Ring Florin Nugget Under 1 Ounce Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence 50 Posts 10 Posts
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 10:17 »
You really need to determine how deep it is to bedrock. Once you have an idea of tne max depth, then you can choose the most appropriate coil. As a rule of thumb, use the coil with the diameter closest to ground depth.  This will give you the best chace to find the larger deeper nuggets however if the coil is too large, you will miss the smaller nuggets that a small coil will pick up near the surface.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPX5000, AT Pro, SD2100, Coinmaster, propointer, Safari
  • Oldest find: 1866 Sixpence

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 632

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 11:28 »
Nowdays you can throw away most of the old style coils. Rare to see anyone using them around the Vic goldfields. I think you have a 14" elite on show which would be ok if you prefer larger coils. A lot of our gold propecting club members are using the 11" coilteck or the 12" nugget finder. They are far better in finding targets and far worse in pinpointing small finds when you get them out of the ground. 3 internal coils make it a bit trickier to work out where the find is. Don't dig the small targets straight away, spend some time trying settings such as tone and target volumes.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline ANT1967

• If it sounds crappy - still dig it... !!
  • Crew
  • Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Victoria for now ......
  • Likes Given: 1512

• Total Badges: 37
    Fifth year Anniversary Coin Of the Month Winner Find of the Month Winner The Gold Ring Nugget Under 1 Ounce Rising Sun The TON 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 13:00 »
Good score Shane
I've had mine for 4 years , just need more time  to use it ....!
Have a swing using factory settings & if you have some various sized Nuggets , take them out with you
& bury at different depths .

The small Sadie coil will pick up tiny targets in all areas , even flogged .
Rwork is right , the 14" camo coil has the new windings based on the 7000 coil & has good ground coverage .

• Detector(s) owned/used: - Owned - Sovereign GT, - Own - GPX5000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: 1857 Gothic Florin , 1858 Holloway Token , Gold Nuggets .
Anywhere , Everywhere , Nowhere & 
Somewhere are the same place  !!

Offline Shane-o88

• Platinum

100%

Third year Anniversary Nugget over an Ounce Coin Of the Month Winner Cricket Buckle Runner Up Gold Ring Shootout Find of the Month Winner Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Sixpence Rising Sun Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 13:11 »
Thanks for the replies fellas, all advice will be taken on board. Jm94 it would be nice to compare machines but I can't be lugging two detectors around haha. Bicter I have found nuggets in the area but haven't hit bedrock yet so I guess the ground is pretty deep though the deepest nugget was 3.5 grams at about 20cm. Thanks rwork I will play with the settings when I locate a target and see what responds better. Ant I will get out Saturday and run with the Sadie for half the day then switch over to the 14" elite. Very helpful information. Thanks heaps
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab sd2100 (used). I own minelab GT16000, GPX5000, garrett ATX, garrett AT pro, lesche digging tool, garrett pin pointer.
Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold....

2017 gold total between my mate and myself : over 2000 nuggets, approx 50 species for a total of Approx 20 oz over 9 weeks prospecting.

Offline Nanjim

• Copper

0%
    • I live in: Perth West Oz
  • Likes Given: 44

• Total Badges: 17
    Third year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2016, 09:52 »
Shane,
Bloody great score there mate let the learning begin....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ATX , SDC2300
A bad days prospecting beats a good days work any time....

Offline Shane-o88

• Platinum

100%

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2016, 13:50 »
Well yesterday arvo a bloke heard I didn't know how to use it so he came and explained everything to me. I must have learnt three years worth of experience in two hours!! It was handy that he was an electrician so not only did he explain the settings and what they do but he also explained why. Well I catch onto things pretty quickly and I have come to realize it really is a simple machine!! I have great confidence in picking up a piece or two this weekend on some old well flogged ground

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 632

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 19:44 »
Once you set it to your likings you don't need to be adjusting it often. Don't over do the gain as it can lead to signals like burnt tree roots and hot clayballs. If there are any phone lines in the area you will need to adjust the manuel tune. The front button takes too long. Every time you get it out of the car make sure you haven't bumped a switch. The Cancell button can be a real killjoy. If you get a rubber eraser and drill a small hole in it. Cut it to length across the frame and push it over the switch. This will stop it being selected accidentally. Make sure the coil can pivot easily without pulling on the coil lead.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything