* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Getting ready to rumble.  (Read 551 times)

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    23.33%
    • I live in: Ferntree Gully,Victoria.
  • Likes Given: 224

• Total Badges: 31
    Badges: (View All)
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Getting ready to rumble.
« on: January 20, 2017, 16:20 »
Not quite out of the woods yet health wise but I'm expecting the all clear soon, when the weather cools off a bit I might return to the fold and try for some gold once again, been a long time since I have sinned, getting the dust off my trusty SD2000, I've bought myself a signal booster and external speaker, my 14" DD Coiltek and the machine are good to go, was browsing the Forum to see if there's anything else I could improve on but got myself all confused as not many would have used this model detector, I notice the trend in using mono coils these days but with the SD they are a no no, DD's are much more stable, I wonder what coils available today might improve my chances over the 14" DD, I quite like the idea of the elliptical coils as that's where I do my best work, poking around overgrown areas, if someone was to pass on their experiences I would be most grateful, cheers Colin.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 16:24 by OL 56 »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Groundhog,SD2000,XTERRA 705,Garrett Seahunter, Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Mojave
  • Oldest find: Sixpence 1835
sent from my OL keyboard using 2 fingers

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 632

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
Re: Getting ready to rumble.
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 07:27 »
I was surprised at how quiet the Audio was on the 2000. I guess the great lumps still around in the day were easier to hear. Might be some frequency conversion to make it more sensitive on small gold. I wonder would the tracking handle conversion work on the 2000 as well. I will give you an 11" Coiltek DD pro coil, they are wound a little different and were a bit better than the standard DD. I might see you at the Wedderburn token hunt if you remind me when you know if you are going.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:08 by Rwork »
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline ivanll

• Platinum

60%
    • I live in: Tropical North Qld. Australia
  • Likes Given: 80

• Total Badges: 24
    Sixth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 14:41 »
Like the large pick, a sign of confidence. 8)

ivanll
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whats suitable for me to do the job!

Offline OL 56

• Platinum

23.33%
    • I live in: Ferntree Gully,Victoria.
  • Likes Given: 224

• Total Badges: 31
    Fifth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 23:38 »
I never had trouble hearing targets back then Ray, hearings not the best now hence the signal enhancer, I have an 11" mine lab coil but we quickly jumped onto the 14" Coilteks when they became available, wasn't a lot to choose from back then, I have found gold as small as match head size no problems but I don't think they were all that deep, they certainly were the halcyon days back then, some of the finds were gobsmacking, shame life took over and we all went our seperate ways, not sure if there is a coil to better the 14", Ivanll there is a story to that pick, timber handle picks broke regularly, we bought those from Barrie Johnson, they called them a Porkys Pick, all steel but the handle is hollow, look heavy but is nice and light, no one ever broke one of those, gee, I'm starting to get flash backs, better go........cheers Colin.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett Groundhog,SD2000,XTERRA 705,Garrett Seahunter, Minelab Excalibur 2,Tesoro Mojave
  • Oldest find: Sixpence 1835
sent from my OL keyboard using 2 fingers

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam