* Share it Around

Author Topic:  What would you do????  (Read 955 times)

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

• Fill this by Posting :)
    53.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Likes Given: 596

• Total Badges: 33
    Badges: (View All)
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
What would you do????
« on: January 21, 2017, 17:04 »
Hi Everyone,
In my frequent driving escapades I have too much time to think about dumb stuff, it is true that driving too much by yourself does weird stuff to your brain.
Anyway I thought it might be interesting and maybe a bit of fun, to see what you would do in this situation. I still haven't come a decision on what I would do yet and probably would just die of thirst or hunger procrastinating about it.
So here goes what would you do.......
Your out detecting for gold by yourself in the bush and you are about 2+ kilometres from the car. As you drove in that morning you saw loads of cars around and throughout the day you can hear the odd detector in the distance.
You get a screaming signal and when you dig down discover that you have found a GIANT gold nugget, I mean it is a monster and when you dig around it you realise...
There is no possible way you can pick that up and carry it 2 kilometres back to the car UPHILL.
You reach for the mobile and its dead, smashed whatever, it don't work.
So there you stand with a gaping big hole in the ground, A giant Nugget and your 2k's from the car with all your gear. Loads of people in the area so leaving could mean discovery by someone else. It is obvious you dug there and as you know, people just can't help swing over other people's diggings just in case. 
WHAT DO YOU DO NEXT???? 
Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. http://detectorist.com.au

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 632

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
Re: What would you do????
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 17:37 »
I wouldn't do what the bloke near Dunolly done when he broke his pick. Filled the hole in and drove to the next town for a new pick. Got into the pub and when he returned someone had dug out a large nugget from his hole. He said the old bloke had hearing aids and an old detector and wouldn't have found the target if he hadn't drawn attention to it. Cannot remember if it was 70 or 90 ounces.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

Offline John-au

• Silver

100%
    • I live in: Lower SE of SA
  • Likes Given: 146

• Total Badges: 39
    Cricket Buckle 500 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Commonwealth Halfpenny Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Roo Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Wheat Three Pence The Gold Ring Rising Sun
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 17:57 »
I wouldn't do what the bloke near Dunolly done when he broke his pick. Filled the hole in and drove to the next town for a new pick. Got into the pub and when he returned someone had dug out a large nugget from his hole. He said the old bloke had hearing aids and an old detector and wouldn't have found the target if he hadn't drawn attention to it. Cannot remember if it was 70 or 90 ounces.
What's the moral of the story Ray, always have a second pick?
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab XT 17000 (traded) Minelab Quattro MP (mainly with Joey coil), Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett pro pinpointer, GPX 5000, XP Deus & Land or Sea pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1765 Mexican 1 Real

Offline John-au

• Silver

100%
    • I live in: Lower SE of SA
  • Likes Given: 146

• Total Badges: 39
    Cricket Buckle 500 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Commonwealth Halfpenny Sixpence Florin Comm Penny Roo Penny Coin Of the Month Winner Wheat Three Pence The Gold Ring Rising Sun
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 18:00 »
Well Clegy you could always hope there is a dead stinking roo somewhere close and re bury the nugget partly before dragging the carcass over the depression. that should keep people at bay till you get back with the car.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab XT 17000 (traded) Minelab Quattro MP (mainly with Joey coil), Garrett Ace 250 and Garrett pro pinpointer, GPX 5000, XP Deus & Land or Sea pin pointer
  • Oldest find: 1765 Mexican 1 Real

Offline lazyaussie

• Platinum

13.33%
    • I live in: Clunes Vic
  • Likes Given: 1130

• Total Badges: 32
    Eighth year Anniversary 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Seventh year Anniversary Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 18:26 »
take a pic of yourself & the nugget then rebury it with a note "if found please return to cleggy '' ;D .

you'd be surprised how much weight you can move if you put ya mind to it ;) .
lazy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: garrett AT pro, garrett ace 250, garrett pro pointer, garrett sea hunter, whites dual field,
  • Oldest find: 1797 cartwheel penny x 2
pirate monkeys do it in the sea

Offline Shane-o88

• Platinum

100%
  • Likes Given: 686

• Total Badges: 42
    Third year Anniversary Nugget over an Ounce Coin Of the Month Winner Cricket Buckle Runner Up Gold Ring Shootout Find of the Month Winner Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny Sixpence Rising Sun Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring
What would you do????
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 19:04 »
What can I say, it'd be a great problem to have. If I was by myself I wouldn't leave it until dead of night, around midnight, go get my ute and do whatever it takes to drive it to this spot and snatch it out. Given I'll be with a mate I'd radio for help, if we both couldn't move it you'd chip it away until it was manageable to move
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Minelab sd2100 (used). I own minelab GT16000, GPX5000, garrett ATX, garrett AT pro, lesche digging tool, garrett pin pointer.
  • Oldest find: Gold, 1906 dog tag, 1866 English penny, 1733 farthing
Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold....

2015 gold rings : 22
2016 gold rings : 15
2017 gold total between my mate and myself : over 2000 nuggets, approx 50 species for a total of Approx 20 oz over 9 weeks prospecting.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCM

Offline AngerManagement

• Gold
  • Any day above ground is a good day.

46.67%
    • I live in: Brisbane
  • Likes Given: 1562

• Total Badges: 20
    Third year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 19:44 »
Easy, every bit of scrap and buckle/rivet you have / batteries from your machine; some burnt wood etc - and then take a big DUMP with some stained paper...

Bury everything at the right depth above the Golden Nugget;  but make sure the paper and dump can be seen/smelt.

Then you can go do what you want to do.. 

• Detector(s) owned/used: excal 1000, x-pointer, 705 ,Gamma 6000 & CTX3030
  • Oldest find: ME
So can I use braid and how tight should the drag be set  when Sand Fishing...

Offline xcvator

• Copper
  • Spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

0%
    • I live in: Somerville Victoria
  • Likes Given: 4

• Total Badges: 7
    50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 19:45 »
Cover it over, smooth out to make it lok as natural as possible, then take dump on it >:D
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus

Offline xcvator

• Copper
  • Spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

0%
    • I live in: Somerville Victoria
  • Likes Given: 4

• Total Badges: 7
    50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2017, 19:47 »
Easy, every bit of scrap and buckle/rivet you have / batteries from your machine; some burnt wood etc - and then take a big DUMP with some stained paper...

Bury everything at the right depth above the Golden Nugget;  but make sure the paper and dump can be seen/smelt.

Then you can go do what you want to do..
Great minds think alike :)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: XP Deus

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%

Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 09:16 »
John-au, i always carry two picks in the ute and sometimes have 3 when on a Bpc outing. New prospectors ( and old) leave their picks behind in the bush and i can usually give them the club spare.
Not much chance of anyone finding a nugget with a metal detector larger than the Hand of Faith.
It was assisted out of the hole with a bumper bar jack. I was told that the Melb museum replica has the mark on the bottom that it left on the nugget.

Offline Clegy

• Administrator
  • Gold
  • Just Dig it Up and see mate!

53.33%
    • I live in: Yeppoon Queensland
    • Aussie Detectorist, Bringing the XP Deus back to Australia
  • Likes Given: 596

• Total Badges: 33
    Second year Anniversary 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post One year Anniversary
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 09:28 »
As I type this I am literally crying laughing at how many people want to take a dump on the nugget.

A nugget on a nugget so to speak.
SO having said that are dump sites now prime targets as there may be two types of nuggets in that hole?
Think I will change my strategy to take a dump 50 yards from the hole as a distraction.
OMG this has decended so quickly................. ;D
Clegy
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Used, 705 Own XP Deus WS4 9,11 Inch coils, C-Scope CS4PI, Tesoro Umax
  • Oldest find: 1864 Half penny
EXCLUSIVE to Detectorist.com.au the C-Scope CS4PI Beach detector. Click for details 
Also XP Deus, R&B Lithium Batteries, Tyger Diggers and the land or sea waterproof pin pointer at under $150. http://detectorist.com.au

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 09:33 »
I had to get a Mod on the gold prospecting forum to remove a post. A bloke reckoned he joined our club and whenever we dug a hole for toilet use we left a sinker in it. No record of him being a member and why would we use sinkers when plenty of large bullets are found.

Offline mike33

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: Nerang. gold Coast. Qld.
  • Likes Given: 802

• Total Badges: 15
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 10:14 »
That's another good reason to have some rope in your pack.  Then you could make a sled from a couple of branches and also a hand winch to drag it back up the slope to your vehicle.  Easy. 
Mike. 
  • Detector(s) owned/used: C&G Wildcat. Whites 6000D. Tesoro Stingray Tesoro Cortes. Tesoro Sand Shark
  • Oldest find: 1800 penny

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam