* Share it Around

Author Topic:  Local secret aircraft base  (Read 764 times)

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

• Fill this by Posting :)
    100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 682

• Total Badges: 50
    Badges: (View All)
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
Local secret aircraft base
« on: February 16, 2017, 07:16 »
The lake has gone dry a couple of times. I found a lot of ammo and a few RAAF items.
It is interesting to talk to people who were kids at the time. They used to swim out to the planes and pinch the pilots chocolate supplies. Any ammo on the floor was pushed out the door before it could be brought into one of the workshops. A mate owns the property where the last workshop building is. Some very thick concrete slabs still left.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-15/fall-of-singapore-leads-to-tiny-town-hosting-air-base/8268520
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 07:24 by Rwork »

Offline bicter

• Bronze

33.33%
    • I live in: Mutdapilly, QLD, 4307
  • Likes Given: 45

• Total Badges: 29
    Fifth year Anniversary 100 Posts Commonwealth Halfpenny The Gold Ring Florin Nugget Under 1 Ounce Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence 50 Posts 10 Posts
Re: Local secret aircraft base
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 09:25 »
Went there about 7 years back, interesting place. 
Even though this was before I got into coin/relic hunting, I'd still thought there'd be a lot of interesting stuff to find. 
It's an interesting museum as well, particularly considering they had WW2 comms gear on display that I'd worked on when in the RAAF.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: GPX5000, AT Pro, SD2100, Coinmaster, propointer, Safari
  • Oldest find: 1866 Sixpence

Offline dirtburrower

• Bronze

16.67%
    • I live in: Perth, WA
  • Likes Given: 91

• Total Badges: 18
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 16:53 »
Heres a link Rwork, might be of some interest to you and others.DB.
http://www.goodall.com.au/australian-aviation/lake-boga-disposals/lakeboga.html

• Detector(s) owned/used: Cut my teeth on Garrett A2B, now living the dream with a CTX 3030
  • Oldest find: 1894 six pence

Offline Woolshed

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: N.E. Victoria
    • Youtube's channel
  • Likes Given: 774

• Total Badges: 18
    Fourth year Anniversary 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 22:35 »
I have seen inside the hanger at Precision Aerospace Productions, at Wangaratta. I had to make a person to person delivery there and as I handed over the package, I asked if I could have a quick look around. He smiled and said , give me your phone and be quick.  So No photos.  It`s a very impressive work shop with a number of aircraft being worked on.  Single engine, twin engine, Jets and Helicopters.  All vintage war birds.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Whites Coin Master & Garrett AT Pro Gold
  • Oldest find: George 111 Penny, 1806

Offline Rwork

• Platinum

100%
    • I live in: Nth.Vic
  • Likes Given: 682

• Total Badges: 50
    Seventh year Anniversary 5000 Posts 2500 Posts 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 10 Posts Nugget over an Ounce Nugget Under 1 Ounce The Gold Ring Half Soveriegn 15000 Posts
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 06:02 »
Thanks for the link Dirtburrower. I have had a look through the Cat shown as on the Murray in 1965. I don't know where it ended up. I have a cabin seat that i fitted redgum slabs to as feet. I left it on a local farm i used to go shooting on. I should find out if it is still there and donate it to the museum.
The book on the Lake Boga site is interesting. I have hunted the paddocks were the two camps were on the West end of town. Not much there as a pit was dug and the remains bulldozed into it. The radio tower bunker is owned by a local, i think i took Smurf there once.
The picture of buckets of 50 cal that i found in the lake is too large to post and i have no way on the ipad to shrink it.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: Owned,Two Mlb 5000. Sovs,GT and XS, Ace 250's.
  • Oldest find: Ancient gold and 1797 cartwheel penny.

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam