* Share it Around

Author Topic:  DIY coin tumbler  (Read 409 times)

Offline shaun.curtis.180

• Copper

• Fill this by Posting :)
    0%
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 17
    Badges: (View All)
    Coin Of the Month Winner Commonwealth Halfpenny Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
DIY coin tumbler
« on: March 26, 2017, 20:42 »
Here's a tumbler I made out of our dead inkjet printer. Can't remember if I got the idea from this forum or from google.
The build was extremely simple; the frame, rollers, motor and cogs are untouched. I just needed to strip away the rest of the printer, provide power and screw it to a plank of wood.
Just to give my decimals a bit of a clean.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

10%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Likes Given: 494

• Total Badges: 22
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
Re: DIY coin tumbler
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 00:23 »
Have done the same (YTube clip from memory), but one word of advice.....the glass jar can break.  I broke 2 of them, I think its something to do with the vibration frequency of the coins constantly hitting the glass but I did however have half a plastic tube folded in it as well so the coins actually tumbled instead of sliding while the container rotated.  A good alternative is using powerade powder containers, they are a good size.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

Offline mike33

• Bronze

0%
    • I live in: Nerang. gold Coast. Qld.
  • Likes Given: 802

• Total Badges: 15
    100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 00:48 »
I always used glass tumblers, only once did I get  a small hole in one,  After that I just kept an eye on the thickness of the glass.  I built the tumbler myself, could not find a small motor, so ended up using a 1/4 hp motor I had in the shed.  bit of an overkill, could have turned a 44 gallon drum.  
Mike.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: C&G Wildcat. Whites 6000D. Tesoro Stingray Tesoro Cortes. Tesoro Sand Shark
  • Oldest find: 1800 penny

Offline shaun.curtis.180

• Copper

0%
  • Likes Given: 0

• Total Badges: 17
    Coin Of the Month Winner Commonwealth Halfpenny Rams Head Shilling Sixpence Comm Penny Wheat Three Pence One year Anniversary 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 08:07 »
Thanks Mike, GN01. I was a bit worried about the glass tumbler. The Dolmio jar is all I could find at the time :-) I'll look out for something more durable.
GoldNugget, I'm not sure what you mean by a plastic tube, but I do need something to help them tumble. Maybe some ridges on the inside of the container, though I can't think how I would attach them.
Cheers

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

• Detector(s) owned/used: Garrett AT Pro International, XP Deus
  • Oldest find: 1826 Penny

Offline FSH00

• Platinum
  • Work to live don't live to work

10%
    • I live in: QLD
  • Likes Given: 1535

• Total Badges: 41
    Sixth year Anniversary Returned an Item The Gold Ring The TON Pre-Dec Full House in a Day Wheat Three Pence Comm Penny Sixpence Rams Head Shilling Roo Penny 1000 Posts 500 Posts
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 10:09 »
Some thin rubber to line the inside of the jar should get them to tumble & help stop the glass from breaking ;)
  • Detector(s) owned/used: To many is never enough
  • Oldest find: Vicky (bun) penny 18??
Tally: To old to keep count now

Offline goldnugget01

• Platinum

10%
    • I live in: Wide Bay Qld
  • Likes Given: 494

• Total Badges: 22
    Fourth year Anniversary 1000 Posts 500 Posts 100 Posts 50 Posts 10 Posts First Post Third year Anniversary Second year Anniversary One year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 15:02 »
Yep, as above.....I have some clear tubing that I have sliced through the middle and to a length that is long enough to fold both ends into the container and when you put the lid on it keeps the tube pretty much in place towards the outside of the jar/container and forces coins to flip.  Another option I have seen is to use a bit of selastic and run a couple of lines on the inside of the jar which when dry will do the same thing...but if you use the glass jar without a rubber lining inside to cushion, this extra vibration from the coins flipping is what I have noticed smashes glass jars.
  • Detector(s) owned/used: ML Explorer SE - std DD coil & ML x-terra 70. Coils: std concentric, 10x5 18.75DD, 15" 18.75DD
  • Oldest find: 1912 threepence...make that an 1899 Penny..make that an 1861? German 4 Pfennige. A suss looking (but confirmed) 1830-1837 half crown
Every day is 'Clean Up Australia Day' when you go detecting.

@MEMBER OF PROJECT HONEY POT
Spam Harvester Protection Network
provided by Unspam
anything